IGNORED

Travel to Udon Thani

Jesper

I am planing a trip to Udon Thani and thinking what kind of transport do you use when going there. Plane,bus ? Anybody know the price differents between plane/bus?

Thanks

Life is nice :GoldenSmile1:

The bus from Pattaya, and the plane from Don Muang are about the same for cost, and about 10 hours vs 1 hour. The big cost question is whether you go by taxi or Bell bus to Bangkok.

Personally, if I had a bunch of luggage I'd take the overnight 407 VIP bus. If I was light on luggage I'd fly.

You also have the option of a train from Bangkok to Udon Thani.

The bus from Pattaya, and the plane from Don Muang are about the same for cost, and about 10 hours vs 1 hour. The big cost question is whether you go by taxi or Bell bus to Bangkok.

Personally, if I had a bunch of luggage I'd take the overnight 407 VIP bus. If I was light on luggage I'd fly.

Thanks alot. Witch bus station did you use? Where did you buy the ticket?

Sorry never take a bus from pattaya before.

If you go away from the beach on Pattaya Klang (middle big road) until you reach Sukhumvit, go left. In a short distance, you will see a petrol station on the left. The 407 bus station is in the back. You can buy your ticket, and catch the bus there. If you go by bus, I highly recommend the overnight express bus. It only makes a few stops. The regular bus feels like it makes thousands of stops between Pattaya and Udon. The ticket should be around 700-800 baht for VIP seating (big size chair in the lower section). The regular seating on the upper floor of the bus is less expensive. If everything is still the same, it leaves around 8PM, and gets to Udon around 6AM. 

The Udon bus station is right downtown, a short walk from "Soi Farang". Go out of the bus station, turn right, walk half a block to big road (Central Festival), cross the street, turn right, walk about a block, turn left. There are several good hotel options on "Soi Farang". The Irish Clock is a pretty safe bet for food, if you don't want to explore too much. Sampan, at the end of the road next to the sports bar, is excellent for fish and chips.

Plane better....and airport Udon to soi Sampan take minibus 80 baht

In bus is long trip...i did many times

Sawadee krap

If you go away from the beach on Pattaya Klang (middle big road) until you reach Sukhumvit, go left. In a short distance, you will see a petrol station on the left. The 407 bus station is in the back. You can buy your ticket, and catch the bus there. If you go by bus, I highly recommend the overnight express bus. It only makes a few stops. The regular bus feels like it makes thousands of stops between Pattaya and Udon. The ticket should be around 700-800 baht for VIP seating (big size chair in the lower section). The regular seating on the upper floor of the bus is less expensive. If everything is still the same, it leaves around 8PM, and gets to Udon around 6AM. 

The Udon bus station is right downtown, a short walk from "Soi Farang". Go out of the bus station, turn right, walk half a block to big road (Central Festival), cross the street, turn right, walk about a block, turn left. There are several good hotel options on "Soi Farang". The Irish Clock is a pretty safe bet for food, if you don't want to explore too much. Sampan, at the end of the road next to the sports bar, is excellent for fish and chips.

Thanks alot Garzan it is really helpful information. I think i will give the overnight vip bus a try. Thanks

Be careful of thieves on the long overnight bus trips.  Train also.

It's a hell of a long way on a bus!

Flight options:

Nok Air, Air Asia and Thai Lion Air from Don Muang. Return fares between 1200 and 1800 baht depending on time of day etc. you'll need to check on baggage costs.

Bangkok Air and Thai Smile from Suvarnabhumi. Return fares between 2000 and 3200.

If you can find a special offer you may get them cheaper.

Flight is 1 hour.

Either taxi or bus to airport from Pattaya to add on.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Fly is the correct answer.

If you are really short of money the overnight bus makes sense but does it for you?

The bus can save a night's accommodation cost but you have to check out around lunchtime and unless you have friends your not getting a shower for twenty-four hours.

Udon Thani might be an OK city but believe me there is nothing going on that you need to doing at the early hour the bus will arrive. Especially dragging your bags around with you.

If it is a side trip then just take hand luggage and leave your main bag(s) in Pattaya.

Agree on flying if you can afford it. I travel to Udon 6 times a year. Bus trip is terrible and boring. Bangkok Air is great to fly with although slightly nore expensive. Their free lounge with drinks and snacks is great.

I fly from Udon to Don Mueang about ten times a year and can back up what Garzan has said.  I have only hand luggage and find it much better than the bus.  Bell bus from Pattaya to Survanabhumi and then the free shuttle to D.M. 250 baht all in from hotel to airport.   The cost of the flights varies a lot but normally you can get for the same as the VIP bus or even cheaper if you book in advance.  Look at Nok Air, Air Asia and Thai Lion Air for best prices and times to fly, they all have multiple flights daily.  Have one friend that swears by the train but think this is only because he can smoke and drink on the train!

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

10 hours+ by bus 800-1000 baht

Taxi+Plane 2.5 hours 2000-3000 baht

I no which one I would pick plane every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I took the overnight 'sleeper' train to Udon last year..it left about 830pm and arrived in udon City about 8am.Food and beer on the train,fold down bed with clean bedding..was a good laugh and an adventure,A proper backpacker style trip.The toilet was open to the track below!!!

It saved me a flight and hotel cost which suited me fine because I was there for a month.Cost about 600baht If I remember correctly.

Plane every time 1 hour flight Bell bus to Suvarnabhumi, no hassles arrive fresh.

• 4 weeks later...

Booked thai lion in December . Dmk to udon was 700 baht. No brainer.

I always get the flight to udon to start my Laos excursion. I have also taken the bus??? What was I thinking?

• 3 weeks later...

just  flown back from udon thani cheep! thai lion air watch you're bag weight 15kg max or they charge you extra or just  carry on luggage great way to go no problem

Air Asia from Nov 27 will fly utapao to udon which will be great.

• 2 months later...

TBH, it really isn't a tourist place. Mainly farangs that have been 'landed' by a local. It's a very big town now with lots of facilities, shops etc.

It is easy enough to find company - especially in the bars near the Irish Clock - but it's a long way from being Pattaya.

Not too much to see in the immediate vicinity unless you're on the way to Nong Khai & Laos.

Unless you're thinking of getting hitched, or finding somewhere a bit cheaper to end your days, it really isn't worth it.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

dont take a girl with you who likes shopping..the central mall is bloody expensive..

opposite central mall on the other side of the road is fuzzy  ken restaurant  great english greakfast..

few bars around  and a great thai rock music venue..

TBH, it really isn't a tourist place. Mainly farangs that have been 'landed' by a local. It's a very big town now with lots of facilities, shops etc.

It is easy enough to find company - especially in the bars near the Irish Clock - but it's a long way from being Pattaya.

Not too much to see in the immediate vicinity unless you're on the way to Nong Khai & Laos.

Unless you're thinking of getting hitched, or finding somewhere a bit cheaper to end your days, it really isn't worth it.

I'd go along with this somewhat. It's not much of a monger place, especially post-coup with all the Lao brothels shut down. As a Lonely Planet type of tourist spot, if you've got transportation for the distances involved, it's a great tourist spot. It's also great, in my biased opinion, as a residential spot if you're planning on living in Thailand, and you're past the every night in the bar with your buddies stage.

But, single guy, no transportation? I'd agree with giving it a pass and staying in Pattaya.

i really fancy trying this place,Pattaya is great but the madness can sometimes my head in.....loving the peaceful and quieter side of life nowadays.....great information guys cheers

Has anyone flown from UTP U-tapao airport yet?   It must be easier to get from Pattaya to UTP and the daily flights don't seem that expensive.

I am thinking of visiting a friend and stopping overnight, any advice on this option would be appreciated.

Judging by previous posts a Bhat Bus from UTH to the centre is the best option.

i really fancy trying this place,Pattaya is great but the madness can sometimes my head in.....loving the peaceful and quieter side of life nowadays.....great information guys cheers

top mansion hotel ..500 bhat lot of falangs use it...right in the bar area

And that, in a nutshell is why I moved from Pattaya to Udon Thani two years ago. I still visit Pattaya for mini vacations, but I much prefer living in Udon.

Archived