IGNORED

Patrick's Restaurant

I recently did a review of Beefeater so some comments in this review would be better understood if you read that first.

Restaurant was fairly quiet when I arrived and I was warmly welcomed by the staff.

They obviously had the new waitress on the drinks and she didn't understand the difference between a glass and a carafe. Another waitress soon came over and the rest of the service was impeccable.

As far as I could see, only the House wine was available in less than a bottle so I ordered a small carafe of the House Red, the waitress asked if I preferred it chilled or room temperature. Already a big plus for Patrick's over Beefeater.

Only a philistine chills anything but the very, very worst red wine.

They use the ridiculously large glasses so favoured by restaurants:

image.jpg

The pre-meal nibbles was some sort of prawn cracker:

image.jpg

The wine was more than acceptable and the small carafe was plenty for me - at least half a bottle.

I decide to order a starter and go for the tomato and mozzarella. Well presented and very tasty, though I would prefer to put my own olive oil and black pepper at the table.

image.jpg

It comes with a good, warm bread roll and butter:

image.jpg

I choose the Australian Angus Rib-eye with sautéed potatoes and Béarnaise sauce.

It is cooked exactly as I asked and is very good. I can't compare the quality to Beefeater as I had the fillet there and they are, obviously, different cuts but at least Patrick's cooked as requested.

image.jpg

There was a very generous serving of potatoes - more than I could finish - and it came with a side salad which was a good Touch.

image.jpg

The Bearnaise sauce was very tasty, an excellent consistency and went very well with the potatoes.

image.jpg

I decide to end the meal with a Belgian beer. There are a number to choose from and I am pleased with my choice. Gorgeous!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The check bin is about the highest I've had in Thailand but it was a very good meal. Naturally, the drinks are a significant part:

image.jpg

If I am honest, I don't really think that either restaurant is really worth the cost considering we are in Thailand. However, if I were to choose between them it would be Patrick's every day of the week.

The food was at least as good as Beefeater and the service far superior.

695 baht for decent size steak and good looking sides is good enough for me....definetely better than steak&co

but I hate those prawn crackers....I dont understand why they serve it 

Thanks m8, nice and honest review, next time I'll give 'em a try.

(I enjoy my meat well done 55555 :hello09: )

BTW : "The customer is always right" :GoldenSmile1:

I like both Patricks and Beefeaters so no complaints from me.  On the wine I think chilling is acceptable because room temp in thailand is hotter than europe.  So I prefer ALL my wine in thailand chilled.  I freely admit I eat and drink what I like and am not a gourmand.  I am partial to bernaise sauce and agree Patricks does it right.

And I agree the shrimp crackers aren't to my taste.  Weird things.  BTW if you meet patrick he is a very nice guy too.  Former boxer and I think special forces with the Belgium army.  Use the loo and you will see a newspaper article where he is one of the people who survived a plane crash some years back.  Scary stuff.

I was going to ask a question about the potatoes but thought better not. 555

Ask away.... ;-)

I think they were par boiled then finished in a pan with onions and oil. They were half or quarter potatoes rather than slices.

Too many for me to finish.

• Like 1

One of my favourite Restaurants , Patrick is a top guy . I goes there once or twice a week while on holidays .

image.jpg

image.jpg

Spot on. But, unless you already drank a bit, that is a pretty weak pour. I'm aware it's an over-sized glass, but that is extremely shallow.

Big Mike.

It was an extremely oversized glass! The carafe behind was more or less full when it was served.

The glass would probably have held over half a bottle quite easily!

Bruce Mangosteen

Patrick has been a good friend for a long time.  Great to see his place still going strong and getting great reviews like this.  BTW, Lady Mangosteen and I are partial to the Chateaubriand, it's gorgeous.

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Patrick’s one of my favourite restaurants in Pattaya.. Glad to know , their business will still be there .. Their Pea Soup is awesome ... 

Edited by jocky king

I have  been there once, the food was excellent, but I found it  to be too much money for what it was. Also I agree that Beefeater is better, but i haven't been there for years, and that was when I was on holiday here, So i don't remember the price. To be honest I much prefer Thai food or cooking for myself.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bluechef said:

I have  been there once, the food was excellent, but I found it  to be too much money for what it was. Also I agree that Beefeater is better, but i haven't been there for years, and that was when I was on holiday here, So i don't remember the price. To be honest I much prefer Thai food or cooking for myself.

I went to Beefeater once. Never again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, davidge said:

I went to Beefeater once. Never again.

I went to Patricks once. Ordered moules frites. Called Patrick over and asked him if a restaurant in Belgium would serve that. He tried it, agreed he wouldn't and struck it off the bill. Never been back. Beefeater far better for food and service.

2 minutes ago, petemoss said:

I went to Patricks once. Ordered moules frites. Called Patrick over and asked him if a restaurant in Belgium would serve that. He tried it, agreed he wouldn't and struck it off the bill. Never been back. Beefeater far better for food and service.

Not going to get into a pointless argument with you. Always get excellent food and service in Patrick’s - and he didn’t charge you for a meal you didn’t like so that can’t be bad. The once I went to Beefeater they didn’t cook the steak as I wanted and they couldn’t care less when I told them. Service was dreadful.

I’ll keep going to Patrick’s, you go where you like. Quite happy if we’re in different places tbh.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice to see that there’s fully boooked on Saturday and not Surprised because the owner is always a gentleman to all his customers... 

• Like 3