IGNORED

thai street food lacking protein?

stiflers_dad

i am still planing my first thailand trip and i came across the following quote "Problem with street vendors food is that there is bugger all protein in them. A sprinkling of meat at the most. Yeh you could buy a 20 baht bbq stick, but they're tiny. So a street food diet will tend to be carbs heavy, unless you buy lots of extra meat".

am i forced to get a room/apartment with kitchen and  cook my 7-11 chicken breast myself (about 1kg/2lbs a day)?

maybe i just have to shop at a bigger food market or take a look at the bigger food stalls, no?

thanks!

Go to one of the 100's of restaurants instead,,,i find street food fine for a daytime snack.. need a decent meal before i go out though.. i really wouldn't bother cooking  

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

No shortage of protein my friend. BBQ chicken legs and wings, pork spareribs by the bucketful. BBQ sausages by the meter. Frogs, grasshoppers, worms, scorpions. BBQ fish, prawns. Egg dishes Im sure you wont starve eating on the street.

You will be fine mate. Plenty of restaurants that will find you. Heaps of meat/egg/mushrooms to fill you up. Failing that order food to your room through doortodoor online. I am 5 weeks in to a trip and have not cooked once. I have yogurt/muesli in the morning and maybe a 7/11 reheat (the fresh ones are actually pretty good, they only last three days in the fridge and not like the dodgy reheats in Aus) or fruit in the evening.

It sounds like you are doing a fair bit of research which is good. Don't worry about the place though, everything falls into place when you are here, especially when compared to home. 

i am still planing my first thailand trip and i came across the following quote "Problem with street vendors food is that there is bugger all protein in them. A sprinkling of meat at the most. Yeh you could buy a 20 baht bbq stick, but they're tiny. So a street food diet will tend to be carbs heavy, unless you buy lots of extra meat".[/size]

am i forced to get a room/apartment with kitchen and  cook my 7-11 chicken breast myself (about 1kg/2lbs a day)?

maybe i just have to shop at a bigger food market or take a look at the bigger food stalls, no?

thanks!

Just go to KFC and get yourself a bargain bucket sorted

Thai pussy has the best protein ratio on the planet, and tastes heavenly too.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

That spit roasted chicken looks good. I'll have to keep my eye open for that.

I have had the salt encrusted fish, about 150 baht, but it is take home food, not stand and eat food, if that matters. First time eating something like that, but it was very good.

The Thai bbq ribs were ok. Ordered riibs at a western-style restaurant in patts, but not that exciting. Would love to find some truly good ribs in patts.

I also tried some Thai sausage once from a cart, but it seemed to be mostly filler, not meat. Not what I was expecting.

Find the skewers with hicken, beef and pork, all protien

Even if you are bodybuilding you don't need the ridiculous amounts of protein suggested by trainers and sellers.  Plenty here in eggs, chicken, pork, beef, nuts, etc. 

i am still planing my first thailand trip and i came across the following quote "Problem with street vendors food is that there is bugger all protein in them. A sprinkling of meat at the most. Yeh you could buy a 20 baht bbq stick, but they're tiny. So a street food diet will tend to be carbs heavy, unless you buy lots of extra meat".

am i forced to get a room/apartment with kitchen and cook my 7-11 chicken breast myself (about 1kg/2lbs a day)?

thanks!

Prawns and crab is pretty much just protein

that was my sentence you posted.

first of all, 7-11 don't sell chicken breasts as far I know. Tesco, big C etc do.

1kg of chicken a day? that will be about 5 large breasts! ....you sure you got your numbers right?

I try to eat 1 chicken breast with every meal. I have never seen a thai meal that has even close to 1 chicken breast in it. I have been known to dice a chicken breast, bag it and take it to a street food vendor and get them to cook a meal with my chicken instead of theirs. They look amazed that you want to eat that amount.

Food stalls have the whole fish. Bugger all on them IMO unless you eat 4 whole fish. Not seen too many chicken rotisserie outside a supermarket. I know big C sell cooked chicken breasts with a sugar cane type of coating (69 baht) - taste great, but I wouldn't eat 5 a day! 

I spent 6 months last year in pattaya, so I got a pretty good feel for what was available from restaurants, street food and supermarkets. 

Archived