IGNORED

Beefeater - Soi Diana Inn

Stopped into Beefeater with my girl this Saturday night. No bars or restaurants were serving alcohol because of the holiday. So I decided to just get a burger (I need a glass of wine to really enjoy my steak).

Worst decision ever! The burger meat was damned near inedible, tasting like hamburger helper. Very mushy mystery meat. Definitely had some kind of soy or bread additive.  I ate the bacon on top which was nice and crispy. The side of shrimp salad was also very tasty. But could not get in more than a few bites of the burger.

My girl had Tom Yam Goong, which was surprisingly good. Shrimp were fresh and very nicely spiced soup. 

But my burger was a disaster. I know this is known as a steak place. But am I crazy to think that a good steak house should also serve a decent burger?

Try Pattaya Beer Garden the next time you want a burger.

Did you bring the issue about the burger to their attention?

TIT and you take what you get. If it doesn't work out, then lesson learned. A rather harsh view, but quite applicable in LOS>

TIT and you take what you get. If it doesn't work out, then lesson learned. A rather harsh view, but quite applicable in LOS>

How are they ever going to improve if everyone has that attitude?

How are they ever going to improve if everyone has that attitude?

The problem is that they don't improve, or so I have been led to believe.

• 8 months later...

This just popped up on my Facebook:

www.facebook.com/Beefeater-steak-house-in-Pattaya-605963502833830/

beefeater.jpg

Decide to treat myself to a decent steak.

As this is a more upmarket, and far more expensive, restaurant than my usual in Pattaya, I will hold it to a higher standard.

Arrive about 8.45 ask for table for 2 and asked if we have reservation - first time this has happened to me in Pattaya.

Told we can have table outside or wait 15 minutes. Consider going to Patrick's which appears to have plenty of room but opt to wait. Get table inside in 5 minutes.

I order the 200g fillet with gratin potatoes. My friend the same but with mash. We both ask for well done. We order a carafe of house red. I order water, my friend soda water.

The waitress brings two waters. Not a good start! She doesn't open the bottles nor pour into the glasses. I'd expect that in this standard of restaurant.

There are free tortillas with dip.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The dip is quite spicy. The tortillas have no taste without it.

The red wine is brought chilled. Absolutely unforgivable.

The meal arrives. I ordered the red wine sauce, my friend the mushroom.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The meals look good.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The gratin potato is very tasty and there is plenty of sauce.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The steak is very good but not well done.

It is just, and only just, cooked enough for me not to send it back.

Not sure the photo shows the extent of the undercooking:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Waitress asks if everything is OK.

Not a good idea if you don't want to hear the truth as I always say what I think!

Tell her the steak was underdone. Her response is to say that 'some meat is red'.

Friend finished eating before me. His plate is cleared away before I finish eating. Not good enough for a restaurant of this standard.

In conclusion. Clearly a popular restaurant and the meat was good. However, fell some way short of what I consider to be acceptable.

Total cost for two people: 1770 baht.

Bummer they weren't at the top of their game.  I do love that place and have had rare problems.  I admit I do not order steaks.  My favorite is the pork loin, fries and béarnaise sauce.  Always good.  While food can vary and tastes vary I am surprised the service was poor.  That part they have always got right.  Then again, as a regular maybe my service is a jot above their average.

Try Pattaya Beer Garden the next time you want a burger.

I tried the burger at the Beer Garden but found it very undercooked on 2 different occasions and the meat tasted weird.

First time asked for medium and and second time asked for medium-well.

• Like 1

" Duct tape turns, "No...No...No..." into "Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm" - Anon

Update on Beefeater.  Closed for remodeling.  Crazy if you ask me.  Unless they are going to try and squeeze in more seating which even then might change the feel of the place.  I think I was told they re-open September 12.

I tried the burger at the Beer Garden but found it very undercooked on 2 different occasions and the meat tasted weird.

First time asked for medium and and second time asked for medium-well.

I always ask for very well done, and haven't been disappointed.

• 4 months later...

Thai Food in a Steak House ? Why not. I heard about that the Thai Food should be very good in the Beefeater Restaurant.

So I did try...here are some pics for you...

The yellow Curry was nearly PERFECT / The Chicken cashew nut was okay.

IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4679.JPG

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

In June I visited the Beefeater again. This time I had the Fajitas (about 600 Baht).

It tasted good. So I can recommend...

IMG_5599.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2015 at 06:30, soi16 said:

Okey!

OP went to Patricks and ate a steak. Mr Marlon criticise the steak what they ate in Patricks was cooked wrong way in the Beef Eater.

So, if the steak is not well done in Patricks you can always complain in the Beef Eater.

Wierd to me too?

wiered to me me too? did he get an electric shock in there as well?

the opes picture is medium well.  I Thailand I have found that ordering X percent works better.  I like 80%, works much better than spelling it out. sometimes I do both

Edited by just hanging

Went a few nights ago but too busy, there were people queuing outside. They are doing a roaring trade. So then we decided to give Patrick's a go but full also. This was mid week. 

• 1 month later...

well done? why even bother. any reputable steak place would laugh and say no.

my favorite steak place in bangkok will only offer rare or medium rare. i took my old man over there a couple months back and he wanted it medium and they said no. it was hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this thread and (as usual) Davidge's well done report.

I tried Beef Eaters last February when I was out and had a very similar experience. I am a medium rare guy and prefer a little blood in my mouth. Hey - let's not over react to that statement. Given the praise I had heard for Beef Eaters, I was a little disappointed. It is ok, but no great shakes IMO.

I have heard it said that (for an American) good steak and BBQ are both hard to find in Patts/Jomtien. I have researched places quite a bit and am looking to try Royal Cliff Grill Room for steak. It does look very expensive.

http://www.royalcliff.com/restaurants/royal-grill-room

A buddy and I will check this out in the near future. Davidge level (or maybe a little less) report to follow.

For BBQ the two places that are on my radar are Smokin Joe's and BBQ Prime Time. Been to Smokin Joe's before and it is good.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Love reading these reviews of expensive restaurants and the luxury problems people have with them. I see the prices and immediately try to compute in my head the number of really delicious Thai meals I could have with those baht ! When in Rome is my policy regarding food and while it is nice to take a break every so often being used to eating steak in my own fair isle of Ireland , which is not cheap, I am not tempted by the half price that I would pay in Thailand , which by Thai standards is very expensive ... yeah... it’s getting confusing.. sorry. The choices people make are their own and he who pays the piper calls the tune. My best friend in Dublin, a lady , wants all her meats “ cremated” and grimaces at my medium rare steak or uncrisp rashers ... bacon to you if you are not Irish. I buy Australian wine for one of my LLT girls in LOS and have converted her to drinking red unchilled , but in the loom , with AC , so mabye not as warm as outside in a restaurant. The only time I bought 2 fillet steaks when with a Thai lady it was a disaster and she needed to spit out the meat as she could not bring herself to swallow it. I ate the two steaks at 1200 plus bht and she ordered thai food at 120 bht and was a happy bunny. 

As all the girls say .... “ Up to you” 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2015 at 03:34, nigelt said:

"As for ordering a fillet steak and requesting it well done, if it had been a classy joint you'd have noticed all the staff sniggering at you.  You don't overcook the best cut of meat there is, may as well cook a flip flop."

I agree. Ordering a steak well done is like seeking out a bar girl over 50.

Yet another steak nazi!

You eat your food as you want to. Don’t tell me how to eat my food.

:Finger5:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 3 weeks later...

I'm from Australia and eat a lot of very good steaks when at home.

In my opinion Beefeater is very good. I only get the steak. The gf often orders Thai dishes which have always been excellent as well, according to her. Have probably been to Beefeater twenty times in the last two years, with my last visit being in May. We always book by phone beforehand, because the place is very popular. I love to eat steak when hungover and that happens pretty often in Patts. Never had a bad experience and would highly recommend Beefeater.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

January,

i tried he Beefeater Steakhouse and what an experience it was. i ordered : Pepper Steak – Fillet pepper steak with a creamy, brandy flavored pepper sauce. Served with fried vegetables and potato au gratin.

Steak was cooked to perfection (medium) the sauce was to die for! absolutely loved it, nearly licked the plate clean. the side dish potato au gratin was amazing as well, washed it down with a ginger ale. for the price you pay, i would happily (35-40 AUD) for the dish to my memory. on my next trip i will be trying to get a few dinners in here. i can see why this place fills up all the time. great feel in side as well, and the service was perfect, cant give this place any faults honestly. 

48991540_10215783699659424_5727651627259658240_o.jpg

15 minutes ago, Jack Frost said:

Love this Resturant & its steaks.

Also not far to walk of dinner & hit Soi LK Metro.

That sounds like a good plan, I may do it myself.