Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Retirment Visa criteria, any advice welcome.

dilloss

Looking to retire to Patts May 2016 (unless Wales reach European Championships, then July 2016)

I'll be 53, have a redundancy lump sum and a pension. I'm also married to a thai who lives with me in UK.

1. Do I apply for visa before I move?

2. How much do I need in a thai bank?

3. How often do I have to renew?

4.Will I have to keep a certain amount of money in bank at all times?

Any info would be a great help, cheers

Hi Dilloss

You will get a fair bit of advice on this topic. Some will be accurate and some will be outdated or just plain wrong.

You'll probably hear about the farang in the bar who will move money into a dodgy bank account in your name for a day, for a fee.

And the corrupt official at Jomtien that will do your paperwork for you, for a fee.

Phone or visit your local consulate/embassy at home....They are extremely helpful and their information will be accurate and free. It will also save you having any problems when you arrive.

If you decide to go down this route please post the answers to your questions here so that other members can benefit.

Good luck, and I hope Wales qualify in the footy!

Thanks for advice.

I haven't told her she'll have to return on her own as I'll be going to France for a month to watch football,lol.

Curious choice of destination as you've got a Thai wife already. I did the retirement thing last year when I turned 50 and there're less hoops to jump through if you do it over here.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Hi Dilloss,

1. While still in the UK, apply to a Thai consulate for a non immigrant 'O' visa. From memory, you then have a maximum of 90 days to present yourself at a Thai port of entry. The visa gives you permission to remain in Thailand for 90 days. During that period, you apply to your local Immigration office for a Retirement Extension, which currently costs 1900 baht.

2. You need 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, OR a letter from the British Embassy confirming that you have income from abroad of at least 65000 baht/month.

If you go the 800,000 baht in the bank route, the money must be in the bank for TWO months before your FIRST application for a retirement extension. For subsequent renewals, the money must be there for THREE months. You prove this by showing Immigration your bank passbook and a letter from your bank.

3. You get further retirement extensions on a yearly basis from the local Immigation office.

4. The money only has to be in the bank for the three months before you apply for another retirement extension.

You didn't ask but you should also note that

i You have to report to Immigration every 90 days to confirm your address.

ii If you want to travel abroad, you need a re-entry permit. A single entry permit costs 1000 baht, multi entry 3800 baht. If you leave Thailand WITHOUT a re-entry permit, when you return you will only be admitted on a 30 days visa exemption. Your non 'O' visa and retirement extension will no longer be valid. To get a new one, you will have to start again at the consulate in UK.

It sounds complicated at first, but in fact it's quite easy.

Hope this helps.

Get a visa before coming and definitely contact the embassy/consulate and ask what they require.

They should give you a one year visa to start which you can extend every year in Thailand. Just remember that if you want to leave Thailand after arriving you need to get a re-entry visa before departing. If you don't your visa is void.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Good advice so far.

Didn't, realize I'd need a re-entry visa if i came home for a visit.

Looking to retire to Patts May 2016 (unless Wales reach European Championships, then July 2016)

I'll be 53, have a redundancy lump sum and a pension. I'm also married to a thai who lives with me in UK.

1. Do I apply for visa before I move? Yes

2. How much do I need in a thai bank? 800,000 bt or proof of income of 65,000 bt every month

3. How often do I have to renew? Annually ( see what Scumbag said)

4.Will I have to keep a certain amount of money in bank at all times? Not necessary if you have shown proof of 65,000 income every month .

Any info would be a great help, cheers

See my answer above .... Not sure if I'm spot on , rules changes time to time , Scumbag post will be better to listen .

You are married with Thai. Then you need only 400000b in your Thaibank account.

I have my 3rd retaiment visa ongoing and as Colin wrote is it like that.

It is less paperwork here, because you do not need any criminal record or health certificate.

90 days notification is free of charge.

Your marriage must also be registered in Thailand.

You are married with Thai. Then you need only 400000b in your Thaibank account.

I have my 3rd retaiment visa ongoing and as Colin wrote is it like that.

It is less paperwork here, because you do not need any criminal record or health certificate.

90 days notification is free of charge.

Your marriage must also be registered in Thailand.

For the OP's benefit a distinction needs to be made here. As the OP is over 50 and is married to a Thai he has two options. He can go the retirement visa route or the a visa and extensions based on marriage to a Thai. I have not gone down this route as I travel outside of Thailand a lot so the multiple entry non-immigrant visa does me well. However, I have seen people post that they have found that the retirement visa route is easier. Just some food for thought.

One option would be to get a non-imm O visa which is good for 90 days then go from there, as suggested by Colin in Pattaya.

In any case you're better off talking to the embassy/consult where the application will be submitted.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

I find it funny that if you're married and getting a thai marriage visa you need 400,000 THB in the bank.

But if you want to retire you need 800,000 THB in the bank. 

I find it funny that if you're married and getting a thai marriage visa you need 400,000 THB in the bank.

They know your bar fines bill will be lower,lol.

"However, I have seen people post that they have found that the retirement visa route is easier. Just some food for thought."

Correct! Even imigration recommed retiment, because it is more simple.

No pics of wife, house or whatever.

I was little bit wrong with about money.

Retiment visa 8000000b in bank.

Married visa 4000000b in bank.

The correct numbers or otherwise incorrect information.

Hi Dilloss, 1. While still in the UK, apply to a Thai consulate for a non immigrant 'O' visa. From memory, you then have a maximum of 90 days to present yourself at a Thai port of entry. The visa gives you permission to remain in Thailand for 90 days. During that period, you apply to your local Immigration office for a Retirement Extension, which currently costs 1900 baht. 2. You need 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, OR a letter from the British Embassy confirming that you have income from abroad of at least 65000 baht/month. If you go the 800,000 baht in the bank route, the money must be in the bank for TWO months before your FIRST application for a retirement extension. For subsequent renewals, the money must be there for THREE months. You prove this by showing Immigration your bank passbook and a letter from your bank. 3. You get further retirement extensions on a yearly basis from the local Immigation office. 4. The money only has to be in the bank for the three months before you apply for another retirement extension. You didn't ask but you should also note that i You have to report to Immigration every 90 days to confirm your address. ii If you want to travel abroad, you need a re-entry permit. A single entry permit costs 1000 baht, multi entry 3800 baht. If you leave Thailand WITHOUT a re-entry permit, when you return you will only be admitted on a 30 days visa exemption. Your non 'O' visa and retirement extension will no longer be valid. To get a new one, you will have to start again at the consulate in UK. It sounds complicated at first, but in fact it's quite easy. Hope this helps.

Read and digest, its correct.......

The 800K in the bank or 65K monthly income can be split eg 400K bank and 32500K monthly income or any combination. Very useful if you don't want to tie up money in a Thai bank account or don't have the 65K monthly income.

My experience using Hull consulate is very positive, they are very helpful.   

When was there any logic in Thailand ? :LOL2:

PS - I think they just want us to marry their poor Isaan girls :GoldenSmile1:

You're eligible for one-year extensions based on either retirement or marriage. As already posted here the marriage option requires 400,000 THB in a Thailand bank; the retirement option requires 800,000 THB. I'm not married but if I was married to a TG I would still get my extensions based on retirement, as the married option requires a lot of stuffing around...they will interview your wife, visit your home, you need to supply photos and maps and various documents. The retirement option is definitely easier. 

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Get a visa before coming and definitely contact the embassy/consulate and ask what they require.

They should give you a one year visa to start which you can extend every year in Thailand.

Just remember that if you want to leave Thailand after arriving you need to get a re-entry visa before departing.

If you don't your visa is void.

Probably the "wrongest" post until now... :rolleyes:

If you get a 1-year visa, it's an OA, and you can't extend it in Thailand, or anywhere else...

You don't need a re-entry permit as long as this 1-year OA visa is valid

An OA visa is not voided because you exit the country. It just expire at its end date.

Probably the "wrongest" post until now... :rolleyes:

If you get a 1-year visa, it's an OA, and you can't extend it in Thailand, or anywhere else...

You don't need a re-entry permit as long as this 1-year OA visa is valid

An OA visa is not voided because you exit the country. It just expire at its end date.

I had hoped to find a reference closer to home but this will do : Thai Consulate Vancouver

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A”:

During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.

At the end of the one-year stay, a visitor who wishes to extend his/her stay must submit a request to extend the period at the Immigration Bureau....

You will find the same information on Thai Visa.

However there are some references to a multiple entry visa (eg here) so I guess you need to be careful which one you get. I have met people who have burnt their visas by leaving and not knowing there was an issue until it was too late.

Archived