IGNORED

Discovery Beach Hotel

0scarfish

Afternoon all,

im coming to pattaya in September and have been looking at staying in the Discovery Beach hotel.

any pointers would be fantastic, is this a decent hotel to stay in and if it is girl friendly.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty decent hotel close to Soi 6, good outside bar overlooking beach road and beach (obviously)

Stayed there as a group for 10nights as singles in double rooms and no joiner fees were paid.

There are however, conflicting reports from other BMs, so best to contact the hotel and get there policy in writing.

Little difficult to return to late at night/early morning as it involves a short trek up so6/1 from beach road to reception

or a long trek from 2nd road. Braving all the dark delights of Soi 6/1 can be a nuisance or a godsend if you are that way inclined. :BJ1:  :BJ1:  :BJ1:  :BJ1:

Haha I've just looked up soi 6/1, that seems rather intriguing ha!

Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a e-mail tomorrow.

Any recommendations for a different hotel if needs be?

Oscar, did not realise it may be your first time Pattaya. Soi 6/1 can be quite intimidating at any time, but more so late at night.

Early hours of the morning, it can be quite a "hands on" experience, If this may be a prob, motocycle taxi straight to reception is probably the best option. 

If you are paying about £40-45 per night no joiner fee, that is quite good value.

The rooms are large and have all the mod cons, good pool and well situated.

But if you are going to have to stump up 1000 as a joiner fee, it brings it close to Marriott pricing as no joiner fee.

Which is probably the best situated mongering hotel in Pattaya, walking distance to most places, even Soi 6 if you are fit.

2nd road and beach road entry and exits, girl friendly, better pool, all mod cons in rooms, 

Just check pricing for Marriott 19th to 26th July £505 or £72 a night.

Not been there but Amari at £235 for 7 nights looks good value.

Both prices include charges and taxes.

If you have to pay joiner fee at DB it will make it only a few pound less than the Marriott, which I think is a better hotel

• 2 months later...

I booked this place for 8 nights, $50 a night for beach rd/ Soi 6 location and what looks like very nice facilities, what a bargain. I never considered a joiner fee in PATTAYA. Any advice about avoiding the fees would be appreciated from anyone.

It is certainly NOT girl friendly as it is a 1000 baht for any girl you bring back that did not check in with you on arrival but it is a very nice hotel and has an entrance on both second road and beach rood so there is no need to use Soi 6.1

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900)
“I can resist everything except temptationâ€

To be born an Englishman is to win the lottery of life

It is certainly NOT girl friendly as it is a 1000 baht for any girl you bring back that did not check in with you on arrival but it is a very nice hotel and has an entrance on both second road and beach rood so there is no need to use Soi 6.1

There is no entrance on 2nd road.  

Oh well, I also booked 5 days at Walking Street guest house for ST convenience, if there's too much hassle at discovery beach I'll just make it the center of operations for those days, I'm sure just pay the 1000 and there is no hassle, which I not worried about, whatever. I don't understand why they would build a bathroom viewing window like the Marriott, then say oh but we are not girl friendly. Sounds like they're hedging their identity

If you use the pool entrance - and use the lift from the basement you bypass reception but then the guest doesn't leave her id and that could lead to complications .

If you use the pool entrance - and use the lift from the basement you bypass reception but then the guest doesn't leave her id and that could lead to complications .

That's what I'm looking for, thanks

Oh well, I also booked 5 days at walking street guest house for ST convenience, if there's too much hassle at discovery beach I'll just make it the center of operations for those days, I'm sure just pay the 1000 and there is no hassle, which I not worried about, whatever. I don't understand why they would build a bathroom viewing window like the Marriott, then say oh but we are not girl friendly. Sounds like they're hedging their identity

if you check in with a girl, she's covered. 

if you check in with a girl, she's covered.

I've done that before in BKK, told them my gf was coming from Lop Buri and I would check her in when she got, there, that time it was actually true. I'll do the same here and if I find one I want to keep for a few days I'll check her in

Does that include short time? :GoldenSmile1:   What a joke if they have some type of opposition to it then ban it but this way they are no different than the bars or mamasum in profiting.

i stayed there with my gf a few trips ago. i loved the hotel.

However Im pretty sure it has a large joiner fee

There is no entrance on 2nd road.  

You can walk thought the row of shops at the second road end!

You can walk thought the row of shops at the second road end!

LOL, just had to check this in case I was going mad, I spent two weeks walking down 6/1 to get into the hotel, or through the beach road pool if i had a BF.

The building at the back, "Chic Tower" was nothing other than a vacant scrubland when I was staying there.

So I bow to your more recent knowledge,  :ThumbUp6: .  Been all over Pattaya since but never noticed this new building amongst all the others.

That was probably the one thing that stopped me going back, will give it a look again now.

The English, Pattaya/Chiang Mai based booking agent we used, had some sort of deal with the management at the time, meaning no joiner fees were charged to all 

of his mainly male farang bookings. Sadly I think the management has changed since.

LOL, just had to check this in case I was going mad, I spent two weeks walking down 6/1 to get into the hotel, or through the beach road pool if i had a BF.

The building at the back, "Chic Tower" was nothing other than a vacant scrubland when I was staying there.

So I bow to your more recent knowledge,  :ThumbUp6: .  Been all over Pattaya since but never noticed this new building amongst all the others.

That was probably the one thing that stopped me going back, will give it a look again now.

The English, Pattaya/Chiang Mai based booking agent we used, had some sort of deal with the management at the time, meaning no joiner fees were charged to all 

of his mainly male farang bookings. Sadly I think the management has changed since.

I am more than happy to walk down Soi 6.1 during the day but give it a wide berth at night, those LB's are high on whiskey and f**k knows what else.

• 5 months later...

I stayed at this hotel for 10 days last August and never once was I asked for a joiner fee. They just kept the girl's ID and she picked it up when I gave them the OK she can leave ( They call if she comes down stairs alone which is pretty damn good ).

American Muscle

bey0yb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Any updates whether there is a joiner fee for DB? I will be staying there for 9 nights this November. This is my first time to Pattaya. I had never heard of joiner fees before and didn't see anything about it mentioned on there website while booking my room. Any updates would be appreciated so I have an idea of what to expect. Thanks in advance.

DB is automatically filtered from my model for any BM who requires a GF hotel recommendation ... so ... take that as you will.

Need hotel suggestions?  Free, non-judgmental help available HERE with over 1,100 rooms within 1 mile of the Pattaya nightlife districts covered.  Results tuned to your exact specifications.

Down for Maintenance as of 11/8/2017.

Map Links and Joiner Policy Repository access information here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjbngew8ss1a6q0/mapLinks.pdf?dl=0

Any updates whether there is a joiner fee for DB? I will be staying there for 9 nights this November. This is my first time to Pattaya. I had never heard of joiner fees before and didn't see anything about it mentioned on there website while booking my room. Any updates would be appreciated so I have an idea of what to expect. Thanks in advance

It's probably better to email them in advance

And possibly re-arrange your accommodation if need be

Good idea. Thank you for the suggestion. I will send one off to them and find out what they have to say. Thanks to all, great forum.

I got this reply from them a couple weeks ago.

Dear Sir,

Greetings from Pattaya Discovery Beach hotel.

We would like to inform you that if your booking was made for 2 person. Our policy is that the 2nd person needs to check in together and fill in registration form and leave us the passport or id copy. This is called the second person in the room. Should you make a booking for 2 person but only 1 person did register and did check in, than the hotel will charge every time should you bring someone to your room. We call such person by hotel terms a "joiner" and we'll charge a joiner fee of THB 1000.-- per time.

Cluck-cluck, gibber-gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.

Archived