IGNORED

Should I even get a SIM?

I'm struggling with whether I should buy a Thai SIM card this trip.  Last time I did not and did fine with my wi-fi only tablet that I used exclusively at the hotel.  I like the idea of being halfway across the world and being disconnected and not always on my phone like usual.  That said it is so cheap to buy a SIM card and last time I probably could have used my phone to research things and figure out where the hell I'm going.  I'm not going to call anyone so I don't need the phone part, but data is appealing.  How do others manage not being glued to their phones while on vacation?  Should I just forget it and be old fashioned or should I get the SIM and follow some disciplined rules to limit my time?

I remember the time before phones when the hunt was on,

but today every one has a phone, you never know when you might need it and as you said they are not expensive.

Make sure your phone is unlocked though 

I usually get tourist SIM from airport with maximum data bundle available;

- hotel wifi is hit and miss at most of hotels (location of your room, amount of users, time of day,...)

- My job requires level of intervention even during my vacation

- I like to do lots of walking in patts, but once i pass the 3rd road border; i end up lost, so google maps saved my day numerous times

- At many occasions; I remember something that i need to check on the forum (specific girl at bar, which meal is good at that restaurant, girl number at soapie,...)

I keep my roaming SIM at my main mobile inside safe box and move with my backup mobile, this way I'm controlling who can contact me and at what time, so i enjoy feeling of disconnection from normal daily hustle back home.

:Dunno:  Up to you.

I always get a SIM so I can get online from anywhere while out and about during the day, and not be dependent on finding a public/available wifi.

Looking things up, reading online while eating alone, being connected to PA Meetup LINE chat, and of course getting messaged by girls on the ground via LINE/Facebook/text.

But if you like the concept of 'not being glued to your phone' (I assume you usually work some job where you're always on call or in contact), then more power to you and go without.

Personally I'm looking forward to being out of touch. A lot of. BM's on here seem to use there phones to keep in touch with girls they have met for a definite good time when they can't be arsed with the hunt! The hunt for a new one is what I'm going for so I'm not arsed about collecting numbers. I'll take me phone for the WiFi access to research tips of places to go and maybe take some pics. But I certainly don't want any fucker phoning me, I'm on me holidays!

I usually get tourist SIM from airport with maximum data bundle available;

- Hotel wifi is hit and miss at most of hotels (location of your room, amount of users, time of day,...)

- My job requires level of intervention even during my vacation

- I like to do lots of walking in patts, but once i pass the 3rd road border; i end up lost, so google maps saved my day numerous times

- At many occasions; I remember something that i need to check on the forum (specific girl at bar, which meal is good at that restaurant, girl number at soapie,...)

I keep my roaming SIM at my main mobile inside safe box and move with my backup mobile, this way I'm controlling who can contact me and at what time, so i enjoy feeling of disconnection from normal daily hustle back home.

Ooooooooo forgot about the maps thing, that could be very handy. I think I'd sit on the kerb and cry until someone took pity on me if I got lost out there. You just changed my mind mate I'm getting a SIM with millions of data as soon as I land

I leave my phone home half the time and it's great . 

• 5 months later...

With MAPSME you don't need a connection. Simply download Thailand map then bobs your uncle. Simple

Archived