IGNORED

Pastrami on Rye Breakfast

Navychief(SS)

When I was in Pratumnak finalizing my condo details. I decided to give Pastrami on Rye a go and check out there breakfast.

As with most, my tastes and palate are driven by my country of origin and locale. I am from upstate NY and my opinions are based strictly on my own tastes. And are not meant to distract from others opinions.

I ordered the American Breakfast which consists of 2 eggs cooked to your liking. I chose over easy. It also included, Coffee, 2 pieces of bacon, Sausage (patty style), and Toast. I also added a side order of fried potatoes.

Bacon: Good taste, thick sliced and cooked the way us Americans like it.

Eggs: Cooked to order as requested over easy Sausage: It was ok, but I personally was a little underwhelmed with it. The patties were small in size (Pork is cheap in Thailand) and a little too much seasoning which I believed was thyme. Typical American breakfast sausage is a little bit denser and mileder on the seasoning. And we all know how us American like their portions.

Bread/Toast: Standard Thai flavor of too much sugar in the bread, but thick sliced. I found it acceptable.

Fried Potatoes(ordered separately): Pretty much just fried potatoes with basic seasoning. What would contribute to the taste would be the addition of some onion, and Green pepper.

Coffee: I ordered the American, listed on the menu as Americano? why not call it American based on the restaurant theme. Anyways, the coffee was small, and way too strong. As we all know Americans prefer it a little on the weaker side.

Overall, I found the breakfast acceptable. My total bill was 230 Baht.

Recommendations: Based on the popularity of Pastrami on Ryes Corned beef, I would recommend an addition of corned beef hash to the menu. Fairly easy to make. This coupled with a couple eggs over easy on top would be a fabulous addition.

I have yet to sample their lunch menu, and look forward to doing so.

As I said in my opening these are my comments based on my own American tastes and upbringing. They are not meant to offend anyone.

PR! (800x450).jpg

PR2.jpg

Posted Image

i was told to try this place for lunch, after seeing your images i might very well have to try it for breakfast, looks good!

Here is a tip.

On that breakfast, if you don't want the sausage or bacon you can substitute one of them for the potatoes, no extra charge, no problem.

If you prefer biscuits to toast, you can substitute that as well. I did and wasn't charged for that but you may be as the a la carte price is higher for biscuits.

I am not impressed with their egg cooking there. I've had the scrambled and the over easy. The scrambled was really bad. The over easy was not done well but better than the scrambled.

A nice change of pace is their 99 baht biscuits with cream sausage gravy deal, including coffee. 

These are southern style American biscuits. I know Brits think of something different with the word biscuit.

About the Americano coffee.

That is the correct term because Americano coffee is basically an espresso shot with hot water added.

And that's what they serve there, an Americano.

That is not American coffee. Standard American coffee is really not called American coffee, it is either called brewed coffee or just cup of coffee.

I agree the sausage patties aren't great and I didn't much love their bacon either.

Yesterday I had their pulled pork sandwich. It was a half hour before night closing so maybe they had run out but I was surprised at the small portion of pork (and it kind of tasted like it had been on a steam table for ages) for the price,  285 baht.

I would not order that again as I didn't think much of the flavor or the portion. 

But do suggest their corned beef and pastrami. 

Both of those meats are quite good there.

Generous portions (which I had) for Thailand but of course much less than you'd get at a famous New York deli.

Also pretty amazing is their Cuban sandwich.  Just a moderate portion, but flavor fantastic at least the one time I had it.

That may be the best thing on their menu. 

I agree they should pimp up the home fry potatoes and also think corned beef hash would be a great choice to have. 
Feel free to talk to the owners because if enough people ask, they might do it. 

Oh, one more thing.

Another option is their buttermilk pancake set. Pancakes served with one meat and two eggs and coffee. I thought the pancakes were quite good but of course don't expect real maple syrup.

The breakfast service stops at 11 AM and they really won't serve it after that at all.

After that, it's the same menu for the rest of the day and night (sandwiches or pizza). 

Good comments and suggestions. I have to get over there for lunch someday.

Posted Image

I actually think their sausage patties are the best of that type I've had in Thailand. I will always get the "hot" or "Spicy" version of something and I think theirs is similar to Jimmy Dean. I hope they eventually sell it in retail packages.

They're not bad and I also like spice in them. But they are puny.

230 baht for that!?!  I hope the atmosphere was great cause that meal was overpriced.

He ordered extra and remember they are very open to all kinds of substitutions.

Here is their breakfast menu.

I think it is very reasonable.

Also the coffee is good. You can upgrade your coffee to a fancier coffee as well (for example add 15 if you want a cappuccino)

http://www.pastramionryethailand.com/#!breakfast/c1g7k

i like the look of this place and all but with the mention of price, just down the road in jomtien you can get a giant plate of sweet and sour chicken for 200 baht that makes this breakfast look like a midget, i know its not really a breakfast food but really what is breakfast when your nearly awake 24/7 its more fuel than food

I had the biscuits and gravy, a cup of coffee and a Coke today and it was 169 baht.  IMHO the food is reasonably priced and high quality.  Never has a bad meal there.

When I was in Pratumnak finalizing my condo details. I decided to give Pastrami on Rye a go and check out there breakfast.

As with most, my tastes and palate are driven by my country of origin and locale. I am from upstate NY and my opinions are based strictly on my own tastes. And are not meant to distract from others opinions.

I ordered the American Breakfast which consists of 2 eggs cooked to your liking. I chose over easy. It also included, Coffee, 2 pieces of bacon, Sausage (patty style), and Toast. I also added a side order of fried potatoes.

Bacon: Good taste, thick sliced and cooked the way us Americans like it.

Eggs: Cooked to order as requested over easy Sausage: It was ok, but I personally was a little underwhelmed with it. The patties were small in size (Pork is cheap in Thailand) and a little too much seasoning which I believed was thyme. Typical American breakfast sausage is a little bit denser and mileder on the seasoning. And we all know how us American like their portions.

Bread/Toast: Standard Thai flavor of too much sugar in the bread, but thick sliced. I found it acceptable.

Fried Potatoes(ordered separately): Pretty much just fried potatoes with basic seasoning. What would contribute to the taste would be the addition of some onion, and Green pepper.

Coffee: I ordered the American, listed on the menu as Americano? why not call it American based on the restaurant theme. Anyways, the coffee was small, and way too strong. As we all know Americans prefer it a little on the weaker side.

Overall, I found the breakfast acceptable. My total bill was 230 Baht.

Recommendations: Based on the popularity of Pastrami on Ryes Corned beef, I would recommend an addition of corned beef hash to the menu. Fairly easy to make. This coupled with a couple eggs over easy on top would be a fabulous addition.

I have yet to sample their lunch menu, and look forward to doing so.

As I said in my opening these are my comments based on my own American tastes and upbringing. They are not meant to offend anyone.

attachicon.gifPR! (800x450).jpg

attachicon.gifPR2.jpg

Not bad but many 100 baht breakfasts equivalent in Patts.  However, I must comment that the toast looks "untoasted" and I find this quite often in Thailand wtf?

i like the look of this place and all but with the mention of price, just down the road in jomtien you can get a giant plate of sweet and sour chicken for 200 baht that makes this breakfast look like a midget, i know its not really a breakfast food but really what is breakfast when your nearly awake 24/7 its more fuel than food

Which place for the chicken?

Which place for the chicken?

cant recall the name its just a small independant place right near the intersection with the gold statue where the baht bus turns off to head toward the beach there is a sign up up front that says something like seafood and european food, the menu has a list titled "farang favourites" really good food and quite reasonably priced for the size servings they give you

Not bad but many 100 baht breakfasts equivalent in Patts.  However, I must comment that the toast looks "untoasted" and I find this quite often in Thailand wtf?

Many of us prefer Good over Cheap.  I think P&R is reasonbly priced for what you get although for me it is more about getting something not available anywhere else.

I can get a good cheese omelet many places but biscuits and gravy are pretty rare in Thailand and P&R does them right.

I actually think their sausage patties are the best of that type I've had in Thailand. I will always get the "hot" or "Spicy" version of something and I think theirs is similar to Jimmy Dean. I hope they eventually sell it in retail packages.

Jimmy Dean...really, I love Jimmy Dean and I see no comparison.

In regards to the price I paid, I added fried potatoes and bottled water to my order.

Posted Image

Many of us prefer Good over Cheap.  I think P&R is reasonbly priced for what you get although for me it is more about getting something not available anywhere else.

I can get a good cheese omelet many places but biscuits and gravy are pretty rare in Thailand and P&R does them right.

Good over cheap is not the point.  But why pay 200 for a breakfast when you can get the same thing for 100?  That would be stupid.  However, if you want biscuits and gravy then it is a different story but the original poster did not. :Think1:

Not only biscuits and gravy but also a biscuit breakfast sandwich or those delicious buttermilk pancakes.

Even their freshly cooked home fried potatoes, while basic are far superior to the typical awful from frozen hash brown potato patties most places use.

I do agree the special thing about this place is the stuff they've got that others don't.

• 2 weeks later...

if you like american sandwiches and pizza and breakfast, it cant be beat.  Not cheap, but food i right on.  I go there often

if your looking for the real thing, or as close as you can get to America, this is the place.  some of my meals:

Biscuts and Gravey.JPG

breakfast burrito.JPG

Pizza BBC.JPG

Pizza Pepperoni copy.JPG

Pizza Taco.JPG

Sandwich Corned Beef.JPG

Sandwich Cuban.JPG

sandwich meatball.JPG

sandwich pastrami copy.JPG

sandwich phili.JPG

Sandwich pulled pork copy.JPG

from pattaya by baht bus down the hill and not far past the traffic lights near the continental bakery outlet there

may 12 002 (Custom).JPG

may 12 004 (Custom).JPG

may 12 006 (Custom).JPG

nice photos @ just hanging

I will be over 200pounds if I eat these kind of food

nice photos @ just hanging

I will be over 200pounds if I eat these kind of food

I am 200 pounds, but 6' tall, but that still is a bad thing.  My favorite two things in the world, is pussy and food, not necessarily in that order.  When I eat this stuff in the daytime, I pass on dinner.  I cant eat a little, but i can eat nothing

• 3 weeks later...

Tried a delivery from here and it was damn close to authentic pastrami.  I had the pastrami sandwich, side order of potato salad, and a housemade pickle. The pastrami was flavorful but a bit on the dry side. The potato salad was meh, just a lot of mayonnaise and no flavor. The pickle was a bit on the sweet side (I like them sour). I would stay away from the sides but definitely try the pastrami, a great little slice of America in Jomtien.

pizza looks damn good

I agree and I have had some good ones at some bars but I ordered a delivery last trip for the first time and it was so disappointing. If I was served it at the restaurant I would have sent it back.

Archived