IGNORED

Windows 7 back-up stalling at 65%

sinkorswim

Just purchased a new PC with Windows 7 ultimate installed, I have everything installed and running fine. However when I try to make a back-up using the windows back-up option it stalls at 65% every time.

Have checked on-line and it seems to be a common problem. I have tried "fixes" I can find but nothing is working. (still stalls at 65%)

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get windows back-up to work?

Thanks in advance.

I assume this is an illegal version. That shouldn't matter too much other than that it's probably not updated.

It could be a locked file or a very large file. How long did you wait?

Maybe you should list some of the things you have tried already.

There is very little installed on it at the moment (the PC is only used for playing music), the back-up file is approx 31GB. I left it running for 1 hour each time and it gets stuck at 65% after about 15 minutes.

I have tried turning off firewall and the virus software.

Also tried to turn off system protection as suggested on a windows forum.

Mentioned this to another BM, who has worked in IT for years and always seems to have solutions to strange problems, however has stopped posting on PA, he says...

Could be anything, could be a faulty back-up disk or cable, try another disk and cable to eliminate this, if Microsoft security essentials is installed, this this has "real time protection" and should be disabled.

Microsoft support have a standard cut and paste answer to this known problem (which has existed since Vista) about checking the correct services are set properly and/ or running but this solution has only solved the problem for a minority of people to the best of my knowledge, you can give these a try, you never know you might be one of the minority...

Click start, type "services" in the start search box, open this, scroll down the list and check the following (make changes by double clicking on the required line).

- "Block Level Backup Engine Service" - Set to Manual
- "COM+ Event System" (EventSystem) - Set to Manual.
- "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" (SWPRV) - Set to manual.
- "Remote Procedure Call" (RPCSS) - Set to Automatic
- "System Event Notification Service" (SENS) - Set to Automatic.
- "Volume Shadow Copy" (VSS) - Set to Manual.

These are the services Microsoft suggest, I will add one more set "virtual disk" to automatic.

Now this might sound strange but as they are in Thailand, also check the language and region settings in the control panel (format, location and keyboard) make sure everything is set to English, including the language for non-Unicode under the admin tap.

Or just ignore all of the above, save a bunch of time, spend a little money and just use this instead http://www.macrium.com/personal.aspx

Alternatively you can use this for free http://gfi-backup.en.softonic.com/opinion/gfi-backup-2011-crippled-349241 (it not as good as macrium IMO but still does the job)... here's a tutorial of how to use it http://www.techfleece.com/2011/02/12/how-to-backup-your-files-using-gfi-backup-home-edition/

Thanks, I will check those things tomorrow

try a chkdsk to see if there are any filesystem problems

try selecting just some files to be backed up. If it is one file that is causing the problem you should be able to narrow down the folder and sub folder then eventually the file.

Try the backup after a restart.

More hassle would be to scan the disk to check for any read errors. You would probably need to download the software from the hard disk manufacturers and write it to CD / USB and the use it to boot and start the software. It can take a long time for big disks.

Make sure you are offline and not sending messages to Bill Gates lol. 

why dont you bring it to where you bought it and get them to do it

Nothing seems to be working.....amazing windows. LOL

Decided if it does go tits up will just do a clean install again.

Nothing seems to be working.....amazing windows. LOL

Decided if it does go tits up will just do a clean install again.

What are you trying to accomplish with the backup? System restore? File recovery? I've seen enough system backup restores fail that I don't depend on it much. I use disk cloning for the OS and files, and file copy for file updates preferably to the cloud. Offline file copy is one of the best defences against ransomeware. Win7 restore points are useful for minor problems. Good luck

I was just trying to make an image of C drive but I give up. If it goes tits up I will just do a reinstall.

NTFS.

As I said it if it goes to shit will just spend a few hours doing a reinstall.

Archived