IGNORED

Two Lions Pub & Restaurant Off Pattaya Klang

Evil Penevil

post-9139-0-95817900-1433396047.jpgI read on another board that Two Lions Pub & Restaurant served the best pizza in Pattaya.  As I'd never even heard of Two Lions, I thought I check it out in case I was missing a "hidden gem."  It's located on Soi 9 off Pattaya Klang (Central Road).  If you are walking east on Klang, past Soi Bukhao, it is the first  perpendicular soi on the right-hand side of the street.  

Two Lions is situated about 100 meters down Soi 9.  It turns out Two Lions is a Swedish restaurant that serves Swedish "husmanskost"  (roughly translates as "home-style cooking") as well as pizzas, doner kebab and hamburgers.

"...the best pizza in Pattaya" was an optimistic assessment,  but the pizza at Two Lions was certainly good and value for money at 230 baht.  I chose the cheapest variation of  24 on the menu, the Vesuvio (cheese, tomato sauce) for 230 baht, with the most expensive  multi-topping type at 340 baht.  Two Lions' pizzas only come in one size and the diameter isn't specified on the menu, but I'm guessing t was 14".  You have to very hungry to finish one alone at a single sitting!

My personal preference is for pizza with one or two toppings,  not the "earthquake in your mouth" variety.  And to put bearnaise  sauce on a pizza  (three variations at Two Lions) is just wrong IMO.  Of course, some customers may like it; that's why there are are 24 variations on the menu.

Pizza long ago went from a regional Italian specialty to  a popular dish all over the world.  On that journey,  the humble pizza has taken on forms that have little to do with its country of origin.  The pizza you'll get at Two Lions is good eating, but whether it's "authentic" Italian pizza ... well ...

But the Vesuvio I got was close to what you'd get at at one of the better neighborhood pizza shops in NYC.  What distinguishes a Swedish pizza is a dollop of olive oil  after the toppings have been placed on the base.  It adds flavor, but could make the pizza too greasy for some.  I'm fine with it.

The crust was perfectly done.  A razor-thin layer that as crispy and nicely charred, but the rest of the crust soft inside.  If the whole crust is crispy throughout, it's been in the oven too long.

A small serving of "Swedish pizza salads" preceded the pizza.

It's a type of cole slaw, but the chopped cabbage is dressed with oil and vinegar and seasoned with fennel seeds. I prefer it to the U.S. variety that uses mayonnaise.

I had a leisurely meal with a couple of bottles of SML (75 baht/bottle) and was there between 4.30 p.m and 6.00 p.m.  During that time, I was the only customer in the Two Lions.

I'll be back to the Two Lions not so much for their pizza but to try the Swedish "home cooking."  You can find the Two Lions' menu here.

Evil

devil.gif

(Edited to improve the formatting - Hope OP doesn’t mind - davidge)

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Nice review Evil...

I went there for breakfast thinking it was a British Pub, realizing it was Swedish and did not serve breakfast,  I moved on!

How would you rate the Swedish pizza compared to Globetrotters Restaurant Sub-Soi 7?

crust of pizza is very thin and looks fine but I can not say the same about the yellow tomato sauce and weird toppings

Nice review Evil...

I went there for breakfast thinking it was a British Pub, realizing it was Swedish and did not serve breakfast,  I moved on!

How would you rate the Swedish pizza compared to Globetrotters Restaurant Sub-Soi 7?

I haven't tried the pizza at Globetrotters so I can't compare them.

Two Lions opens at noon and is closed Mondays.

crust of pizza is very thin and looks fine but I can not say the same about the yellow tomato sauce and weird toppings

The tomato sauce isn't yellow.  It appears so in the photo thanks to white balance and color temperature, as well as the color of the cheese when melted.  I could fiddle with the controls on my camera to compensate for the lighting in the Two Lions, but that's a bit of a hassle.  Likewise, I could correct the yellow tinge to some degree with Photoshop, but that's time-consuming as well. A more "natural" look.

IMG_5947c.jpg

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

The tomato sauce isn't yellow.  It appears so in the photo thanks to white balance and color temperature, as well as the color of the cheese when melted.  I could fiddle with the controls on my camera to compensate for the lighting in the Two Lions, but that's a bit of a hassle.  Likewise, I could correct the yellow tinge to some degree with Photoshop, but that's time-consuming as well. A more "natural" look.

Considering the size of that camera you carry about, I am surprised.

I haven't tried the pizza at Globetrotters so I can't compare them.

Two Lions opens at noon and is closed Mondays.

attachicon.gifIMG_5947c.jpg

Evil

evil what I meant was I not like when pizza shops not use enough tomato sauce and it looks yellowish not red...If they put fair amount of sauce it will look red

s

I love bearnaise sauce on the side of a pizza, to dip the a pizza slice in it.

• 1 month later...

"What distinguishes a Swedish pizza is a dollop of olive oil after the toppings have been placed on the base."

The typical taste of a Swedish pizza comes from the cheese that is used. It is quite high in fat (38%), and I guess some of that fat escapes when its being cooked, making it look as if someone had dripped olive oil all over the pizza.

The cheese that is used is typically one of these "gräddostar" - literal translation "cream cheese". It is a fat hard cheese though, not a spread.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arlafoodservice.se%2Fvara-engagemang-2%2Fost-pa-pizzan%2Farlas-pizzaostar%2F

I have had two pizzas at this place - they get the basics (i.e. the cheese) right. Quality of toppings seems to vary - the ham was great the first time, just okay the second time.

The pizza salad was miserable both times. They had totally missed the vital ingredient vinegar.

http://blogs.transparent.com/swedish/the-mysterious-swedish-pizza-sallad/

• 4 years later...
On 04/06/2015 at 13:42, nixonsbest said:

Sadly the Globetrotter was finally sold, and closed a year-or-more ago, in case you hadn't heard.

I had talked-it-up to a friend, but when I took him to eat there, major reconstruction was underway. :o

Many Thanks to Lasse & his wife, for the many good Swedish meals eaten there over recent years, and Good Luck in their retirement, wherever they've moved to.

• 2 months later...

Archived