Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Minister: Let's turn camp into tourist spot

News Bandit

WANG KELIAN: A Cabinet minister here has a suggestion - turn a human trafficking camp on the hills along the Malaysia-Thailand border into a tourism attraction.

View the full article

I know that drugs are illegal in Thailand, but this cabinet minister must have been smoking something stronger than shisha when he came up with this idea.   :huh:

Not that I think its a good idea but you could argue that it does have benefits.

First of all there are many places all over the world where tourists visit former war sites or places where something bad happened. So not that uncommon.

It could also be used as a place to inform people about the issues that lead to this.

Finally smugglers of any kind like to do their business out of sight. Bringing in large groups of people might make them not use this area. That would free up a little resources to control other areas.

Don't really get the remark that the buildings look communist though.

Not that I think its a good idea but you could argue that it does have benefits.

First of all there are many places all over the world where tourists visit former war sites or places where something bad happened. So not that uncommon.

It could also be used as a place to inform people about the issues that lead to this.

Finally smugglers of any kind like to do their business out of sight. Bringing in large groups of people might make them not use this area. That would free up a little resources to control other areas.

Don't really get the remark that the buildings look communist though.

I know what you mean but usually they don't become tourist attractions while they are still crime scenes!

"Life teaches you how to live it, if you live long enough." - Tony Bennett

I know what you mean but usually they don't become tourist attractions while they are still crime scenes!

What Sinbad says.

It's one thing to make something a 'tourist' attraction decades after the fact (killing fields, etc); quite another to (as in this case) be like 'hey, come visit this place where we're excavating mass graves and where people have been held as prisoners' up to a few weeks ago.

Archived