IGNORED

Bank document for retirement visa

soi23

I am transferring my 800,000 bt to my K bank account ,, can I use the document from that transfer,send to LA consulate for my retirement visa or will the bank book have to be shown with that amount in it ,?????

I spend half my money on hookers and booze ,the other half I waste.

I am transferring my 800,000 bt to my K bank account ,, can I use the document from that transfer,send to LA consulate for my retirement visa or will the bank book have to be shown with that amount in it ,?????

Best ask the consulate if you're unsure.  Aren't visa application fees non-refundable?  Or simply convert to an O Visa once you arrive in Thailand.

If I were you I would:

1-  Get your retirement visa here as it is easier than dealing with the Thai consulate / embassy in the U.S.  A lot less hassle and paperwork!  I just got a new retirement visa a couple of months ago.  Dropped off my passport at Immigration and the other paperwork as well as the 1,900 baht fee and picked it up the next day.

2-  Forget transferring the money into a bank account here for visa reasons.  Make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok to get them to notarize an income statement that you fill out.  I did this when I got my new retirement visa and was in and out of the embassy in less then 20 minutes.  I think it costs $50 to have them notarize it.  The U.S. Embassy also sits Pattaya every three months in their outreach program and they can do this as well.  Immigration will accept that in lieu of 800,000 baht.

If I were you I would:

1-  Get your retirement visa here as it is easier than dealing with the Thai consulate / embassy in the U.S.  A lot less hassle and paperwork!  I just got a new retirement visa a couple of months ago.  Dropped off my passport at Immigration and the other paperwork as well as the 1,900 baht fee and picked it up the next day.

2-  Forget transferring the money into a bank account here for visa reasons.  Make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok to get them to notarize an income statement that you fill out.  I did this when I got my new retirement visa and was in and out of the embassy in less then 20 minutes.  I think it costs $50 to have them notarize it.  The U.S. Embassy also sits Pattaya every three months in their outreach program and they can do this as well.  Immigration will accept that in lieu of 800,000 baht.

Be not too surprised ....if the immigration anyway ask bankbook and bankletter stamped from bank ......EVEN for Americans !! Happens on regular basis. Better be prepared if you have the money anyway :Think1:  

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

If I were you I would:

1-  Get your retirement visa here as it is easier than ...

Bad advice. You cannot get a Retirement Visa at Jomtien Immigration !

Best way for the OP is to get a 3-months "single Non-O Visa" in USA

and to get a 1-year Extension for Reason of Retirement in Jomtien.

The Embassy Letter (proof of revenues) or Bank Letter (proof of 800k in Thailand) is up to the OP.

the bank has to give you a statement letter that you need as proof!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

Be not too surprised ....if the immigration anyway ask bankbook and bankletter stamped from bank ......EVEN for Americans !! Happens on regular basis. Better be prepared if you have the money anyway :Think1:  

Not my experience or the experience of the other Americans I know.  

Bad advice. You cannot get a Retirement Visa at Jomtien Immigration !

Best way for the OP is to get a 3-months "single Non-O Visa" in USA

and to get a 1-year Extension for Reason of Retirement in Jomtien.

The Embassy Letter (proof of revenues) or Bank Letter (proof of 800k in Thailand) is up to the OP.

I received my 1 Year extension / Retirement visa in Jomtien without any issue by coming into Thailand on a 30 day visa exemption.  Mine was just redone in Jomtien less than three months ago.  Just relating my experience.  Personally, it is up to the OP what he does, I could care less either way.

I received my 1 Year extension / Retirement visa in Jomtien without any issue by coming into Thailand on a 30 day visa exemption. //

What you did 1 year ago will not help the OP today...

Pattaya (and many other immigration offices) can no more convert a Visa Exemption or a Tourist Visa into a non-O visa :(.

You have now to go to Bangkok and it's a lot of hassle...

Better to get a non-O in your country. (Single is easy)

d

Not my experience or the experience of the other Americans I know.  

Several reports , but not on PA , but Thaivisa.com and   depending office and ofcours TIT....... from officer to officer  .........!

Not saying it is 100% , and a pitty to start all over if so, remember the money seasoning period for the moment in that case could be a problem :Think1:

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

I received my 1 Year extension / Retirement visa in Jomtien without any issue by coming into Thailand on a 30 day visa exemption.  Mine was just redone in Jomtien less than three months ago.  Just relating my experience.  Personally, it is up to the OP what he does, I could care less either way.

I would say you are lucky you did it when you did as there are numerous posts of problems with applying for retirement visas posted lately on other forums. 

The letter from the bank seems to be a big deal and one that might prevent me from getting one here (LA).

Seems for me it might be easier to mail all the documents to LA get the stamp then head to BKK.

maybe just deposit the money and show up at BKK immigration.I will try to call but having called to them before they are not to keen to answer the phones ,,,all automatic systems.

Thanks everyone for the response.

If I were you I would:

exactly correct, I did this, there's no need to have money in any bank if you're an American.

I did the Pattaya outreach too, it was at the Dusit Thani up at the end of second road,  go early and get on the list, they are quite efficient.  They don't take credit cards, I believe they do if you go to the embassy in Bangkok but they only took cash at the outreach setup.

The letter from the bank seems to be a big deal and one that might prevent me from getting one here (LA).

Seems for me it might be easier to mail all the documents to LA get the stamp then head to BKK.

maybe just deposit the money and show up at BKK immigration.I will try to call but having called to them before they are not to keen to answer the phones ,,,all automatic systems.

Thanks everyone for the response.

the advice I got was to get a 90 day visa (60 days with the ability to get a 30 day extension) through the embassy in LA, then apply for retirement stuff once in Thailand.  I did that, I got as far as the income affidavit (done in Thailand, see above) then had some reversals of fortune, and had to come home after 10 weeks to tend to business.  So I did not start the actual process of getting the retirement visa, will do that next go round.

The money in the bank is not a big concern to me as it is money I will be spending anyway , and will have no income for the duration as I am not of the age that I want to collect on any of my retirement accounts.

so you can go whichever route you choose... me, I don't have 800,000 baht to stick in a thai acct so doing the affidavit is convenient.

can prove the income but the affidavit is simplest...

the advice I got was to get a 90 day visa (60 days with the ability to get a 30 day extension)

through the embassy in LA, then apply for retirement stuff once in Thailand.

As I said above, this is not a good way to do as Jomtien cannot manage that anymore

and so you will be required a trip (or 2?) to Bangkok Immigration to change your visa in a non-O... :(

Far better to arrive with a non-O from your country.

What you did 1 year ago will not help the OP today...

A friend just got his non-o retirement in Jomtien on a visa waiver......  Guess people are experiencing different things depending on which way the wind blows.  When it gets to the point that it is just too much of a hassle to live here long term, I will just leave.

The money in the bank is not a big concern to me as it is money I will be spending anyway , and will have no income for the duration as I am not of the age that I want to collect on any of my retirement accounts.

Just remember, more than 10K off shore for an American requires some extra paperwork on your 1040. :-)

A friend just got his non-o retirement in Jomtien on a visa waiver......  

You should ask him to make a report on ThaiVisa then,

because he may be the first one to manage that this year ! ;)

I just checked ThaiVisa and last post on this subject is:

You must do a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa at Bangkok immigration

and it will take two trips 15 days apart to get the visa and entry stamps now.

AFAIK nowadays only Bangkok Immigration can convert your stamp in a non-O

The best info I've seen so far in reference to the original post, is to check with the Thai Embassy, or the LA Consulate to see what paperwork they want. Getting an actual Retirement Visa, as opposed to getting a Retirement Extension on a three month Non-Imm O Visa, is supposed to be more difficult. However, if you do manage to get that all done while you're still in the States, bonus for you. You're good to go as soon as you get here. Getting your information from the Thai government offices in the US is the best way to get the exact information you need, rather than relying on the opinions expressed here, and especially on ThaiVisa. (My own opinions included in that blanket statement.)

I came over pre-coup, and the 'rules' were a lot more flexible then. Now days, the 'rules' are a lot closer to being actual rules. You aren't supposed to be able to get a Non-Imm O Visa inside of Thailand, but obviously, you can bend the rules in Bangkok. Worst case, if you come in on a Tourist Visa, or 30 Visa waiver, you go visit the Thai Embassy in Lao, and get your Non-Imm O from them.

For my initial move over here, I did six months volunteering with an NGO. They sent me a bunch of paperwork I sent along to the Thai Embassy in Washington DC, and I got my three month Non-Imm O while I was still in the States. I have never made a visa run in the 4+ years I've been here. Personally, I think the six months with the NGO was a very good transition from working a 40 hour week in the States, to being retired in Thailand. I had something to do everyday besides sitting in a bar. I also got to 'give back' for a while, and do some good stuff that made a positive difference in some peoples lives.

Anyway, bottom line is that if you don't get your Retirement Visa before you come over, you HAVE to have a Non-Imm O Visa before you can get Retirement Extensions put in your passport over here. If you can get that all done over there, more power to you. If you can't, there are ways to get it done over here.

You aren't supposed to be able to get a Non-Imm O Visa inside of Thailand, but obviously, you can bend the rules in Bangkok.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bend the rules in Bangkok".  There is a procedure (and published charge) to change from your tourist visa or visa exempt entry in-country and official forms (TM.86 and TM.87) for exactly that purpose and it's all above board.  The only question is whether your local office has had the authority to carry out the procedure delegated to them from Bangkok.  A few offices (such as Hat Yai) have, most have not.

tm forms.jpg

Just remember, more than 10K off shore for an American requires some extra paperwork on your 1040. :-)

Thanks for the heads up on that ,,will let the tax man know so he can make note of that.

dont forget your money has to be in a thai bank for 2 months for te first one and 5 months for susequent extensions

any holes a goal

I have the 800K THB in a fixed account. Never touch it for day-to-day stuff, it's just sitting in the account to satisfy my annual retirement requirement. When it's time to renew my retirement I get a stamped statement issued by the bank (200Bt) which I give to immigration I also show them the account book. 

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Archived