IGNORED

Extension of stay based on a marriage visa without children

Cerberus

Today we submitted my paperwork for and extension of stay based upon marriage. As usual the lass had prepared all the paperwork, photos etc we entered the immigration office at 12.30pm was called forward at 12.35pm, all the papers were found to be in order stamped and we were moved to the next desk and had to wait a short while as the officer had gone on a comfort break. He returned at 12.50pm checked the doc's and stamps, then ask where our child's paperwork was. My wife assured him we had no such beast and in return he informed her that under such circumstances we would now and in the future have to have an independent witness with their Tabian Baan and ID copy.

My lass produced the official guidelines, at which point he told us that this was a new requirement for every marriage extension. Looking around she spotted someone we knew and called him over and asked if he could be our witness. There was a slight pause, mainly as the person she had called upon was his senior, it was decided that our application could go forward without any additional paperwork this time but in future despite the number of years we have been married we would require an independent witness. 

Has anyone else run into this yet, it is not applicable to those with children apparently.

Hiya

Not sure about that one

I am in th same boat, as it want to just extend by a week to do some krav maga training

Was it easy to do, what type of witness required? We have no children as well

My thai multi entry visa expires on the 29 july but that is when the 5 days course starts

After that I will go back to the UK for 3/4 weeks

Thanks

Regards

Dirty

Hiya again

Quick reply, just speaking to the wife

I was in the UK and our next door neighbor asked my wife to come to immigration and do the same thing

Around 10 weeks ago, my wife went with the falang lady next door and her thai husband, as it was in force than

Copies of house, I'd card and a quick chat, all ok and paper work sorted, as no children as well

For me, I just just want an extra week and not to extend longer

I will contact immigration next month and confirm

Regards

Den

I have had several extensions to my married visa in Udon Thani and this has been the norm there for years now.  We have to take someone that has known us for more than a year and knows that we live as man and wife together.  This person has to be a Thai citizen with I.D. and Tabien Bahn which have to be copied, signed and produced at immigration.  Also the independent witness can not be a family member of any sort.    This is not easy as we live approx 125 k`s from the nearest immigration office and have to take friends for the day when we would have liked to have stayed there for a few days each time.

Immigration are supposed to come and check our house but as we live so far away they never have done as yet.  We have to go back a few days later to have photos taken with immigration officials against a wall that could be anywhere and then all the paperwork is sent off to BKK.  We then have to wait a month before we can go and get the stamp for the visa in my passport.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I have had several extensions to my married visa in Udon Thani and this has been the norm there for years now.  We have to take someone that has known us for more than a year and knows that we live as man and wife together.  This person has to be a Thai citizen with I.D. and Tabien Bahn which have to be copied, signed and produced at immigration.  Also the independent witness can not be a family member of any sort.    This is not easy as we live approx 125 k`s from the nearest immigration office and have to take friends for the day when we would have liked to have stayed there for a few days each time.

Immigration are supposed to come and check our house but as we live so far away they never have done as yet.  We have to go back a few days later to have photos taken with immigration officials against a wall that could be anywhere and then all the paperwork is sent off to BKK.  We then have to wait a month before we can go and get the stamp for the visa in my passport.

The month wait is standard, and in my case has always been so. Your outline regards the witness is also correct, non family member with their original Tabian Baan, ID card and copies of both.  We have yet to have anyone visit our house but for all the years we have been doing this we always provide pictures of us around the house and with our dogs. In addition we are known to many of the immigration officers.

Dragging a non family member along must be a real problem, especially in a case like your own where you have to make a day trip of it.

The month wait is standard, and in my case has always been so. Your outline regards the witness is also correct, non family member with their original Tabian Baan, ID card and copies of both.  We have yet to have anyone visit our house but for all the years we have been doing this we always provide pictures of us around the house and with our dogs. In addition we are known to many of the immigration officers.

Dragging a non family member along must be a real problem, especially in a case like your own where you have to make a day trip of it.

Even when we take witnesses along with us we also have to provide a map of where the house is and pictures of the both of us in all rooms in the house.  This February they also asked for the paper from the British embassy that said we I was free to marry! Had to go to the office where we were married in BKK as we had handed it to them when we married.  Fortunately they were extremely efficient, provided me with the origional and made a copy to keep for themselves at no cost to me.

Today we submitted my paperwork for and extension of stay based upon marriage. As usual the lass had prepared all the paperwork, photos etc we entered the immigration office at 12.30pm was called forward at 12.35pm, all the papers were found to be in order stamped and we were moved to the next desk and had to wait a short while as the officer had gone on a comfort break. He returned at 12.50pm checked the doc's and stamps, then ask where our child's paperwork was. My wife assured him we had no such beast and in return he informed her that under such circumstances we would now and in the future have to have an independent witness with their Tabian Baan and ID copy.

My lass produced the official guidelines, at which point he told us that this was a new requirement for every marriage extension. Looking around she spotted someone we knew and called him over and asked if he could be our witness. There was a slight pause, mainly as the person she had called upon was his senior, it was decided that our application could go forward without any additional paperwork this time but in future despite the number of years we have been married we would require an independent witness. 

Has anyone else run into this yet, it is not applicable to those with children apparently.

Even when we take witnesses along with us we also have to provide a map of where the house is and pictures of the both of us in all rooms in the house.  This February they also asked for the paper from the British embassy that said we I was free to marry! Had to go to the office where we were married in BKK as we had handed it to them when we married.  Fortunately they were extremely efficient, provided me with the origional and made a copy to keep for themselves at no cost to me.

Out of curiosity, couldn't either of you have simply gotten a retirement visa, assuming you are both 50? It seems this would be a lot easier than the marriage route.

Out of curiosity, couldn't either of you have simply gotten a retirement visa, assuming you are both 50? It seems this would be a lot easier than the marriage route.

If you have a marriage visa, you can get a work permit.

If you have a marriage visa, you can get a work permit.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

You are right that the retirement visa is much easier to get and i am well over fifty!  Only problem is that my income is only enough for the married visa, no where near enough for the retirement one!  So I now have to jump through all the hoops that they put in my way every year for the married visa.

Archived