IGNORED

protein powder

navidnavid

why is it so expensive in thailand?? nearly double the price in usa.

It's is really expensive here . Usually bring 5kg over after a trip to my home country . Got something to do with some monopoly . 

import duties cause the higher prices?  Back in the States I used to get protein powder on Amazon.com with free shipping... I would find one that had thousands of high customer ratings, and/or the number 1 best seller - and go with it... It was SO MUCH CHEAPER than here in Thailand... but then again some things are MUCH cheaper here in Thailand... for example, anything to do with cute, sexy Thai girls... no cover charges at most bars, even ones that have live music... you can walk into an AGoGo bar here and check it out, and not feel obliged to stay... back in the States you can do that at strip clubs, but probably not a good thing to do repeatedly, not at the same bar with the same HUGE bouncers... 

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

yea I hear ya, it is one of the rare items that are more expensive here than elsewhere. I walked into a GNC today in CM and a 4 pound tub of GNC whey protein was over 3000 baht!!!

Fortunate for me the TGF knew a site here in thailand where the prices are cheaper and I got a 4 pound tub of Combat Powder ( my favorite protein back in the states ) for just over 2000 baht, and I expecting it to arrive within 3 days.

The site is fitwhey.com- maybe youve heard of it.

If you're coming over on vacation, bring your own. If you're living here, then I would recommend phukethealthshop.com  . They have better prices than anywhere I've found in Pattaya and delivery is usually less than a few days. 

Cheers. 

• 2 weeks later...

thats about 220 baht a kg. something not right there.

Sorry. Multiple post. God damn ipads.

Inside BigC you can buy Soya Protein Powder 400g for 89,- Baht. Give it a try!!!

can anyone confirm this, if so for Thailand it's excellent value.

It is this one http://www.amazon.com/Doi-Kham-Soya-Powder-Genuine/dp/B00KH5M48Y.

Can't read what exactly inside because indegrients only in THAI. But it is not isolated protein so it's only 30-40% protein.

Tesco Lotus have it to for THB 62,-: http://shoponline.tescolotus.com/en-GB/ProductDetail/ProductDetail/6017426200

thats not protein powder  ....thats powdered milk for those who are lactose intolerant 

I've got some recollection of reading somewhere that soya increases estrogen - hardly the result you'd want! Correct me if I'm wrong.

Punter- spot on mate, stay away from the soya !!....Protein is expensive here- import taxes I guess....As someone else has said bring your own. But then if your only here for a few weeks then a 1k tub wont break the bank ...

Or you could just eat a protein rich meal after the gym.

On the ground in Pattaya? Arriving Soon? Have LINE installed on your phone?

Join the (unofficial) Pattaya-Addicts group on LINE and meet a fellow monger for a beer or 10.

Pop into see Larry at babydolls or noddy at butterfly bar to be added.

Buggered if I know either, it's not the import tax which is only 7% when VAT is added. Jerry's guess might be right that it's some kind of monopoly or price fixing from the major players.

I always bring my own from Australia, which doesn't really help anyone living in Thailand.

I'd be tempted to try and get a mate to post some over if I was living there.

Cheers

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Interesting article by Forbes earlier this year:

"Lawsuits Say Protein Powders Lack Protein"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexmorrell/2015/03/12/lawsuits-say-protein-powders-lack-protein-ripping-off-athletes/

WHAT LAB TESTS REVEAL
Workout supplements vary in price by brand, but 5 pound tubs or bags of protein-based products often retail for more than $50 a tub. A supplement maker can buy wholesale whey protein concentrate – the most popular kind – for roughly $5 – $6 per pound.

But third-party tests, attached to some of the lawsuits, show some companies also fill the tubs with far cheaper free form amino acids like glycine, taurine or leucine as well as other substances like creatine monohydrate, and then portray them as grams of protein on the products’ labels. Certain amino acids are considered the building blocks to protein but they are not protein by themselves, nor do they have the same benefits as complete proteins.

These filler substances can cost less than $1 per pound, allowing companies to undercut competition with lower prices and dupe price-sensitive customers in the process.

For instance, test results showed “Giant Delicious Protein Blend” made by privately held Giant Sports contains only 12 grams of the 27 grams of “High Quality Protein” it advertises, only 44% of the stated amount. Instead, the powdered blend is loaded with leucine, isoleucine, valine, glycine, betaine, taurine and creatine monohydrate. Moreover, glycine is not included on the label nor the ingredient list, which would make it a misbranded product and illegal to sell according to Food and Drug Administration rules. None of these substances is harmful — creatine monohydrate on its own is perhaps the most popular workout supplement behind protein — but neither are they what customers are paying for.

Giant Sports declined requests for comment.

Similarly, a lab test of MusclePharm’s “Arnold Scharzenegger Series Iron Mass” revealed that just 19 of the promised 40 grams of protein were present, according to exhibits in the lawsuit. Prior to the lab test results, MusclePharm denied over Twitter that it spiked its products.

The most interesting aspect of this article is that protein spiking is apparently such a common practice in the industry that not only shady, small operations are doing it - even the reputable big names are doing the same thing.

Buyer beware...

Perfecting my ability to "let that which does not matter truly slide"

I just buy a plain Whey Protein Isolate, unflavored and no additives. Buying it by the 5kg it costs $155, or roughly $30 a kg which is about 800 bht a kilo.

Just can't get that price anywhere in Thailand that I've been able to find.

Cheers

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Or you could just eat a protein rich meal after the gym.

Problem is the time it takes to convert into amino acids in the intestines- after training you need it fast...This is why whey isolate is recommended...best option  though is BCCAs with a fast acting carbohydrate....I agree with you though you can't compare a nice steak to a shake !!

Archived