IGNORED

uk/british passport

dogsoldier

hi all.

i have a friend who is currently living in perth australia but is from the UK/Britain and is coming with me for his first trip to Thailand in august.
I found out his passport has less then 6 months remaining on it so I told him he has to get it renewed or else they wont let him into the country.
Turns out he has paid for it to be renewed but they did not send him a new one they just said its been renewed electronically.

Has anyone else renewed there passport this way or know of any problems when entering Thailand with a passport that has less then 6 months remaining but has been renewed electronically.

hi all.

i have a friend who is currently living in perth australia but is from the UK/Britain and is coming with me for his first trip to Thailand in august.

I found out his passport has less then 6 months remaining on it so I told him he has to get it renewed or else they wont let him into the country.

Turns out he has paid for it to be renewed but they did not send him a new one they just said its been renewed electronically.

Has anyone else renewed there passport this way or know of any problems when entering Thailand with a passport that has less then 6 months remaining but has been renewed electronically.

I didn't know you could do that as they have to cut/cancel the old passport!

that's what I thought

Doesn't sound right,

As far as I'm aware, a Visa could be renewed electronically but you need an actual physical passport.

As he's not in the UK I'm not sure how long it would take?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

It took me 4 weeks to get a new Irish passport in Australia.

I'd reckon Uk would be similar.

when I had 6 months left on passport I phoned passport office and was informed I could renew my passport about 9 months before it expired and the remaining months would be added to my new 10 year passport.

I renewed  in England before travel.

New passport arrived within 2 weeks and 6 months remaining were added on to new passport,old passport was returned with corner cut off/cancelled.

I would ask your friend to check this out before making travel arrangements as I have not heard about passport renewed electronically,last thing your friend needs is to make travel arrangements and then find out he cannot travel on his passport.

Thanks everyone.

Got on to him yesterday about it and turns out he applied for a new passport today.

Better to be safe then sorry.

Archived