IGNORED

Tourist SIM Packages - May 2015

Sick Water Buffalo

I'll be flying into DM airport this time...Anyone have any recent experience getting a sim card at DM airport?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be flying into DM airport this time...Anyone have any recent experience getting a sim card at DM airport?

There are kiosks in arrival area. If you arrive late you can get it at DMK 7-11 shop.

• 3 weeks later...

As it has been nearly six months since starting this thread, can someone coming through Suvarnabhumi soon please grab and post images of the latest advertising flyers for the providers (AIS, DTAC, True) from their kiosks?

Let's keep information current and updated for everyone.   :)

As it has been nearly six months since starting this thread, can someone coming through Suvarnabhumi soon please grab and post images of the latest advertising flyers for the providers (AIS, DTAC, True) from their kiosks?

Let's keep information current and updated for everyone. :)

I'm on-the-ground in about a month, & will be seeking a SIM on arrival at BKK. I'll post what I've bought, but hopefully someone will update come then.

I don't know which network or package to opt for so will see what's best. I'll be in Thai for 30-days, possibly 60, & will be visiting Bangkok, Pattaya, Samui & Chiang Mai. Ideally I'd have a package with a few hundred minutes of cross network voice calls & 'unlimited' data at high speed, although a generous cap of say 10Gb will probably suffice. FWIW my handset's a (now!) unlocked iPhone 5.

I've a AIS SIM from my previous visit; I'm assuming that SIM number's now defunct. On that occasion the lady at AIS couldn't register me as their (computer) network was apparently down, so I ended up visiting their store at Jungceylon, Patong later that day. I do recall requiring my passport.

• 4 weeks later...

How about a phone? I have sprint so I can't bring my iPhone. I want a smart phone so I can use google maps and see reviews of places etc. Should I buy a cheap unlocked Android phone in America or should I do it in Thailand. Can I get it at the Airport at the kiosk? Is it expensive? Any info greatly appreciated guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the UK the Which Magazine best android budget smartfone is the Motorola G. In the UK 2nd gen model is £130, latest 3rd gen model £160. Both have quad core fast CPUs and latest Android Lollipop.

This phone is brilliant value, I'm using it to write this.

As far as I can remember, electrical goods are more expensive than the UK mostly. Not sure about Yankland?

But what should I look for when I buy. If the phone simply says unlocked will that be good enough? I saw the Android I think Moto G for about $200 US no contract and unlocked but I don't know if thats all it takes. This is going to be my first trip outside of the US

How about a phone? I have sprint so I can't bring my iPhone. I want a smart phone so I can use google maps and see reviews of places etc. Should I buy a cheap unlocked Android phone in America or should I do it in Thailand. Can I get it at the Airport at the kiosk? Is it expensive? Any info greatly appreciated guys.

you can buy an unlock code for your sprint phone on ebay, about 20 bucks, is what i would do.

if you are going to switch to android they have lots of samsung here but hardly any htc or lg etc. not a fan of samsung but it seemed like they are more expensive here.

SN7tukw.gif

I heard that Sprint and Verizon Wireless are on a CDMA network and are not good for international Travel. The other carriers use GSM which is more widely used everywhere besides Japan. I will feel a bit more comfortable with a non-CDMA phone. There is a phone called the Moto G running Android & it's unlocked with no contract for $150 US DOLLARS. Does anyone know if this phone will work internationally?

now that you mention it, i've heard about that cdma stuff before, maybe a good idea to leave it at home.

as for the motorola, yeah if it's unlocked it will work anywhere.

SN7tukw.gif

There are 3 versions of the MOTOROLA MOTO G - 1st, 2nd and latest 3rd gen. All are great value buys but the 2nd and 3rd gen models are much better.

Yes and unlocked MOTO G will work worldwide on GSM and most other networks including Thailand.

Im taking my 2nd gen model with me in Jan 16.

Get a 32gb micro SD card installed for thousands of pics.

It uses a quad core snapdragon CPU which beats some phones twice the cost. In fact, this phones overall performance beat lots of phones twice its cost.

It's a no brainer.

Excellent! I have my phone issue sorted out. I plan to purchase my phone a week or so before my trip because by that time maybe the 4th gen Moto G will be out. I'm not leaving until April or May 2016 so seeing as how fast tech goes maybe even 5th gen lol. Thanks for the info guys, and if you are in Pattaya in May 2016 I owe you a beer!

I did not just recommended the MOTO G just because I happen to own and use one, it is common knowledge in the trade this phone is by far the best budget smartfone to be had.

Just look at its online reviews.

Glad to help my colonial cousin..lol

You can buy cheap phones from DTAC stores starting at about $85USD. I didn't really check to see if you could buy them at the kiosk in the airport. But there's no reason why they wouldn't have them.

I heard that Sprint and Verizon Wireless are on a CDMA network and are not good for international Travel. The other carriers use GSM which is more widely used everywhere besides Japan. I will feel a bit more comfortable with a non-CDMA phone. There is a phone called the Moto G running Android & it's unlocked with no contract for $150 US DOLLARS. Does anyone know if this phone will work internationally?

Many new phones work perfectly fine worldwide. You'd just need to look up the specs. Had a friend who's iphone 6  (sprint) would not take a DTAC sim card. He had not paid it off so it was still considered locked. He was able to get voice service at a decent rate. Good luck with data as sprint was going to charge him a crazy amount. My verizon iphone 6 plus comes factory unlocked. Put a new sim in for 299B and I was on my way in less than 5 minutes.

Thing is, Iphones are silly money... £600 here in UK for 6 !!!!!

The MOTO G makes perfect sense if like me you want Max bang for buck (using your bastardised English terminology) lol.

Besides, lots of my friends have deserted Apple after trying out my £130 Android.

Arriving December 14 - will post what deal I opt for (at BKK).

I've two iPhone 5s. Both were effectively gifts. Once they're exhausted, be that technically or physically (one already has a cracked (yet functioning) screen), I'll be moving away from Apple.

I love my iPhone 6 but I'll be damned to travel to Thailand with it. Too expensive to risk whereas the Moto G sounds like a great phone and if I lost it or broke it wouldn't destroy my hopes n dreams...

Any Verizon iPhone from the US, starting with the 4S and later are factory unlocked (due to FCC regulation... Part of Verizon's deal to get LTE spectrum allocation.)

Brought my i6 to Pattaya last fall a week after it was first shipped in the US and it worked fine on AIS.

Got setup at the big electronics superstore in Central Festival... Same price as elsewhere for the Sim and 30 day package. Sweet and pretty gal behind the huge cellphone counter took care of installing and activating. Was definitely the first iPhone 6 she had seen... Wasn't yet released in LOS. Should have gotten her number... Jet lag stupid!

• 1 month later...

For those in the USA, try stopping into BestBuy. 

They are currently dumping unlocked Moto G Tall's for $70.  UPC 688630000258, sku 4836426.  Should be a good burner phone for Thailand for those that need one.  It is out of stock online, but might still be in store.

Of course, there are many other deals out there. 

• 4 weeks later...

I use truemove for Internet. Unlimited, 384 kpbs, 7 days, for 69 baht. Code *900*1902#

It's fast enough for surfing, checking e-mails on my phone, all I use it for.

If I want internet in the room for my laptop, my hotel has free wifi.

And 384 is faster than most of the other ones once they cap you.

They nerfed this unlimited plan. Changed it to 500mb a day. Still not bad I guess upto 3.5 gig over 7 days.

Enough if all your doing is surfing, email, line.

DATY champion of Pattaya,

I use truemove for Internet. Unlimited, 384 kpbs, 7 days, for 69 baht. Code *900*1902#

It's fast enough for surfing, checking e-mails on my phone, all I use it for.

If I want internet in the room for my laptop, my hotel has free wifi.

And 384 is faster than most of the other ones once they cap you.

nice one mate. I usually use the 30 day code for 212 Baht inclusive of vat but got couple short trips coming up over the summer and this would be ideal to suit.

As long as you dont want Youtube 384 is fast enough for general surfing

• 3 weeks later...

I'm coming to Pattaya April 6,2016. I have an unlocked GSM smartphone. I'm not interested in data, but would like to buy a sim card to make international calls back to the USA. Is this possible.

you bring your passport to any 7/11 and you can purchase a sim card for your phone, 12gb data and lots talk time somewhere around 30 USD. Look at DTAC website for prices. 

Archived