IGNORED

Tourist SIM Packages - May 2015

Sick Water Buffalo

Image below detailing DTAC and AIS prepaid tourist SIM packages on offer at their kiosks in the Suvarnabhumi arrivals hall (19 May).

True did not have any brochures advertising their wares. :Dunno:

I got a DTAC SIM (as usual) and they had me sorted in approximately 3-4 minutes from handing over my iPhone to being up on the network.   :ThumbUp6:

DTAC AIS May 15

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do the same just stop by there and get sorted. Hope the line is not too long.

Image below detailing DTAC and AIS prepaid tourist SIM packages on offer at their kiosks in the Suvarnabhumi arrivals hall (19 May).

True did not have any brochures advertising their wares. :Dunno:

I got a DTAC SIM (as usual) and they had me sorted in approximately 3-4 minutes from handing over my iPhone to being up on the network. :ThumbUp6:

With unlimited internet for the allotted time, what's the difference between 9gig and 12 gig of 3G service? (Aside from 3gigs).

With unlimited internet for the allotted time, what's the difference between 9gig and 12 gig of 3G service? (Aside from 3gigs).

You get (at least) 3G service up to the 9 / 12 gigs; after that it throttles down to slow internet (don't know what speed that would be) which is 'unlimited'. :Dunno:

I'm getting 4G in Pattaya.

Thanks for posting.

Think I've decided to get the 'top' DTAC 30-day package for my iPhone & then tether my iPad.

Not really up with technology now, but seems the best option for me for 3 weeks.

Don't expect to make many calls but will use iMessage & Facetime as well as Internet.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Thanks for posting.

Think I've decided to get the 'top' DTAC 30-day package for my iPhone & then tether my iPad.

Not really up with technology now, but seems the best option for me for 3 weeks.

Don't expect to make many calls but will use iMessage & Facetime as well as Internet.

I'll be doing the same in a few days time. I found on my last visit last year that in places of dodgy wifi, skype worked fine with the laptop tethered to the phone. Handy to have.

I use truemove for Internet. Unlimited, 384 kpbs, 7 days, for 69 baht. Code *900*1902#

It's fast enough for surfing, checking e-mails on my phone, all I use it for.

If I want internet in the room for my laptop, my hotel has free wifi.

And 384 is faster than most of the other ones once they cap you.

DATY champion of Pattaya,

• 1 month later...

The company you use largely depends on where you are as not all companies have coverage all over Thailand, I use AIS and find they have good coverage up north but not so good down south

In the end, after reading something on another thread, I got a TrueMove 30-day Unlimited Data with some calls inc, for 1079 baht at the airport. There was some sort of bonus data inc. which I still don't understand after 2 visits to True shops in Pattaya! They were busy and it took 20 minutes. I think I could have got a similar package for 250 baht less at one of their shops??

I found the coverage good. I got 4G in most of Pattaya though 3G in most of Jomtien. I made FaceTime video calls with no problem - more reliable than the wifi in my condo.

I topped up the calls and got an extra month's validity every time I put 90 baht on - though every 7-11 told me I'd only get an extra 7 days? The furthest I could go was 12 months.

So, hopefully, the number will still be valid up to next July and I'll simply have to buy a data package the next time I'm in TLOS.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 3 weeks later...

Just been advised that sim cards are now sold subject to buyers providing name and address details. Is that correct?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Just been advised that sim cards are now sold subject to buyers providing name and address details. Is that correct?

As of the end of July, SIM cards are supposed to be 'registered' instead of just sold anonymously.

Unregistered SIMs are supposed to/have been disconnected as of the start of this month.

My understanding is that for tourists arriving in Thailand this means showing your passport when you purchase a SIM card.

For foreigners already in-country this means going to a mobile provider shop and showing your passport to register your existing SIM.

I'm transiting in Bangkok, can I get a SIM airside?

I'm transiting in Bangkok, can I get a SIM airside?

The provider kiosks are in the Arrivals Hall (outside Immigrations & Customs); so you won't be able to if you're just transiting and not "entering the country".

People have mentioned in the past about free SIMs being handed out to passengers exiting some flights, but I've never seen this (and I doubt with the new registration rules in place that this is happening now).

The provider kiosks are in the Arrivals Hall (outside Immigrations & Customs); so you won't be able to if you're just transiting and not "entering the country".

People have mentioned in the past about free SIMs being handed out to passengers exiting some flights, but I've never seen this (and I doubt with the new registration rules in place that this is happening now).

I know Airfrance \ KLM used to do this but I have not flown with them for 3 years so I do not know how the new rules have affected this.

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900)
“I can resist everything except temptationâ€

To be born an Englishman is to win the lottery of life

Was handed one yesterday leaving a BA flight - however it had a sticker  on it saying it had to be registered before use; kinda spoils the purpose of handing them out really. Large scrums of people surronding the phone company booths in arrivals, getting served looked like it might take some time (and patience).

Was handed one yesterday leaving a BT flight - however it had a sticker on it saying it had to be registered before use; kinda spoils the purpose of handing them out really. Large scrums of people surronding the phone company booths in arrivals, getting served looked like it might take some time (and patience).

I would say it's to get their sim card in your hands before any of the others.

Out of interest how is registration done?

From above:

My understanding is that for tourists arriving in Thailand this means showing your passport when you purchase a SIM card.

For foreigners already in-country this means going to a mobile provider shop and showing your passport to register your existing SIM.

They look at your passport and I assume write down/input your name, passport number and nationality, and maybe date and place of birth, for whatever database they have? 

Then handing them out at airports is pointless if they don't sight the travel document. Or is that a loop hole.

Then handing them out at airports is pointless if they don't sight the travel document. Or is that a loop hole.

Huh?  :huh:

Citing Smiler above, they may hand out SIMs when you deplane, but you still have to activate/register it at a the kiosk or a store to get it to actually work.

The SIM they hand out sells for about 49 baht ($1.90 AUD), but you need to add a voice/data package to do anything worthwhile with it.

Like you said, it's just to try and lock clueless newbies in to choosing their service instead of randomly picking between the three providers in the Arrivals Hall.

• 2 weeks later...

I also get a sim card for my each visit. Generally I prefer AIS. ther eis a tourist package about 4 gb internet usage, and generally I prefer this one. It was really very good, ı do not talk too much but for the internet usage, it is really very good.

"Good guys go to heaven, bad guys go to Pattaya"

Well on this trip I've purchased the True Move H prepaid sim for 49 Baht and topped up with 100 to get a bonus 10 and 1GB to use from 10pm to 6am. Of the 100, 79 buys me 1.2GB for 7 days. I could have just topped up with 79 but I couldn't resist a good offer.

After 3 days I'd used up my 1.2GB a call to customer service revealed to me that the plan stays in force for the full 7 days preventing me from buying another even though I've exhausted the data. Also the free 1GB in the evening won't be applied until the current plan expires - go figure.

Went to 7-11 to top up the sim with the intention of adding a daily data plan, rang cs to find that the balance was short of a Baht because they charge 3 each time I call them!

Topped up again and this time was suggested that I buy a speed boost which is 1GB for 7 days that can be applied to existing plans.

I can't imagine what AIS and DTAC are like. Hope they're easier to understand.

Archived