IGNORED

Pretty crazy and dangerous

THAJEC

For me it's a pretty crazy idea of what is possible under this article.

Hacker took control of the plane, he made it out of the seat.

Chris Roberts dominated the Boeing 737 and Airbus A-320 on US domestic routes through electronic platforms on the seats, which are used for in-flight entertainment for passengers.

Washington - In the control system of large transport aircraft can be hacked directly from the passenger seat.

According to the materials of the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), it is said well-known hacker , who allegedly managed to briefly control the motor of one of the aircraft and cause minor divert his flight path.

FBI him briefly detained and questioned, but not charged, writes USA Today , which reported the incident.

Recognized expert on IT security Chris Roberts told federal agents that he managed to break into the control systems of aircraft at least fifteen times.

It was a big traffic Boeing 737 and Airbus A-320 on US domestic routes. During one of the flights by the FBI materials could make one of the engines of the machine to move upward slightly to momentarily diverted from the route engine required pilots.

Roberts says that he has a partial mastery of tools to help "box" placed under each seat, which serves passengers to play movies or music and is connected to the central system of the aircraft. Enough is said to remove the device, connect it to your computer, break a few passwords and rewrite control code planes.

Roberts himself to police their actions highlighted in April on Twitter, because he wanted to make "the vulnerabilities repaired." After his arrival from Chicago to Syracuse in upstate New York FBI arrested him and interrogated. Also received judicial authorization for the seizure of his computer equipment that agents searched.

According to FBI records Roberts acknowledged that an unauthorized intrusion into the system on an aircraft is illegal and promised to him not retry. Police against him made no accusations.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Probably a good wake up call for all airlines to be aware of hacking in their planes .

I find it very hard to believe that the entertainment system is in any way connected to the flight systems.

I find it very hard to believe that the entertainment system is in any way connected to the flight systems.

It may be hard to believe until it actually happens.  And as it sounds, it DID just happen.  So believe it.

Think this hacker is quite credible

Think this hacker is quite credible

Guys,

A few things:

1. I do not doubt that this man attempted to hack via the entertainment boxes located underneath both his seat and the seat in front on a recent series of flights. This is bourne out by damaged boxes, a modified ethernet cable in his possession and his statements.

2. He claims to have found this vulnerability on three types of Boeing aircraft and one Airbus.

3. As to the Boeing aircraft, the entertainment system is physically isolated from other aircraft systems. In other words you canot drop oxygen masks or change engine operating parameters by accessing an entertainment box. You also cannot just place "hacked code" into the system (if you were at an access point) without a series of warnings/alerts etc indicating in additional locations. Also there are a minimum of three differant/redundant/separated systems used.

4. It was through his claims via social media which alerted law enforcement to investigate and tampered boxes is what was found. In the event of a climb order issued to an engine (which he claims to have done) that engine would have been the subject of immediate emergency procedures by flight crew and a shutdown/divert probably occurred.

5. Note that he was questioned by law enforcement on at least three seperate occassions. The act of tampering with the entertainment boxes is an offense, however if he in fact actually initiated false engine orders he PROBABLY would have been taken into custody upon initial investigation.

I think the investigation will reveal something possibly differant than what was claimed as this unfolds, in the meantime I think this guy is going to accomplish nothing except get the FAA or TSA to ban laptops for the rest of us because he simply wanted his two minutes of fame.

Archived