IGNORED

4G Data in Pattaya

FlipperSoi8

Currently with AIS but they don't have 4G as yet. Does anyone have any experience of 4G data on a smartphone in Pattaya and which network? I was looking at DTAC and they have 4G coverage in Pattaya. Also, should I decide to move to another network such as DTAC is it possible to keep my current phone number and have it 'ported' to another network as I can do in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

FlipperSoi8

I switched from AIS to True in order to use their LTE service available in many places in Pattaya.

I transferred my phone number as well.   I had to go to AIS first in order to tell them that I was transferring the number to True and then to True to setup the new account.

It has worked out really well..

I switched from AIS to True in order to use their LTE service available in many places in Pattaya.

I transferred my phone number as well.   I had to go to AIS first in order to tell them that I was transferring the number to True and then to True to setup the new account.

It has worked out really well..

Hi....Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is much of a difference between True and DTAC when it comes to 4G/LTE? I will swap to either True or DTAC when I am back in 2 weeks. I guess I can still transfer my number as I am on PAYG not contract. I will see what they say in the AIS store when I get there.

Cheers,

FlipperSoi8

I'm sorry but I don't have any experience with DTAC.     I think the big players in Pattaya are True and AIS.    

In Pattaya, how many miliseconds difference is there from 3G to 4G? If it takes 1.3 seconds to connect to a web page with 3G, do you really notice the difference if it takes 1.1 seconds with 4G?  Seems like splitting hairs.

In Pattaya, how many miliseconds difference is there from 3G to 4G? If it takes 1.3 seconds to connect to a web page with 3G, do you really notice the difference if it takes 1.1 seconds with 4G?  Seems like splitting hairs.

I was getting about 10 Mbps with 3G and I've gotten 50 Mbps with LTE. It's a big win.

I was getting about 10 Mbps with 3G and I've gotten 50 Mbps with LTE. It's a big win.

And how many milliseconds was the difference when connecting to the internet?

Personally, in the USA, when I go from 3G to 4G I don't notice a difference.  Sure, you'd notice it if you download big files all day, but for normal mobile web browsing the latency is what matters, not the speed.  Are you saying that you did notice a significant difference in everyday browsing in Thailand?  Which phone are you using BTW?

I think the big difference you notice is when sending photos. I use Line as do most people I deal with and we're always exchanging photos online. At high speed the pictures send and show up immediately. At a lower speed you get to watch the progress bar crawl across the screen.

It's not a big deal and if I had to go back to 3G it would be ok.

I use a Nexus 5 at the moment. It's having issues so I may switch soon.

And how many milliseconds was the difference when connecting to the internet?

Which is irrelevant - plus, there is no such thing as 'connecting to the internet'. What matter is how fast a given asset or assets on a given page can load to complete a session. This is dependent on a thing called 'latency' as well as something called 'bandwidth'.

Furthermore, the lines between 3G and 4G are blurring, as there are multiple different protocols for 3G and 4G - such that the slowest 4G protocol can be slower than the fastest 3G protocol - particularly since true LTE is yet to be implemented by many of the carriers.

https://tasel.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/lte-hsdpa-dc-hsdpa-explain-this-alphbet-soup-of-4g-to-me/

2G was the first implementation:

EDGE stands for “Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution” (or Enhanced Data GSM Environment), a 2.5G enhancement for GSM with a theoretical top speed of 200Kbps, although real-world speeds will be closer to 90Kbps.

• Peak Speed – 200Kbps (0.195Mbps)
  • Real-World Speeds – 90Kbps (0.087Mbps)
  • Which US networks have it – AT&T & T-Mobile (in fact that’s most of T-Mobile has for data, although they are now rolling out HSPA+ in some areas)

That brings us to actual 3G data services.

HSPA/HSDPA is a range of connections all that use the same standards. HSPA was adopted by most countries as it allowed for more flexibility and a better roadmap to be faster in the future.

HSPA (US)

• Peak Speed –
     3.6Mbps
  • Real-World Speeds – 1.727Mbps
  • Which US networks have it –
     AT&T

HSDPA (US)

• Peak Speed –
     7.2Mbps
  • Real-World Speeds – 3.2Mbps
  • Which US networks have it –
     AT&T
HSDPA (International)
  • Peak Speed –
     14.4Mbps
  • Real-World Speeds – 6Mbps

Here’s what is commonly referred to “4G” and what they actually mean to you.

HSPA+ An advancement of the HSPA technology (version 7), this is something that is available in most of the world’s markets. It used to be classified by carriers as 3G. AT&T and others didn’t refer to this network as “4G” but after Verizon and Sprint started using setting up their LTE networks and touting speeds of up to 14.4, AT&T started to sat that their HSPA+ networks also “4G” as peak service of the network matched those speeds. Although the LTE networks have gotten faster, typically, at least in marketing terms, any network that uses the HSPA+ standard is still labeled “4G” to their customers.

• Peak Speed – 21Mbps
  • Real-World Speeds – 6Mbps
  • Which US networks have it – AT&T

DC-HSDPA also known as Dual-Carrier HSPA or Dual-Cell HSPA this technology is more common in the rest of the world, compared to the US. This is another advancement of the HSPA standard that allows for much faster transmission of data.

• Peak Speed – 42Mbps
  • Real-World Speeds – 12Mbps

wireless_icon.png?w=640LTE is the current integration of the “4G” market speak, and a main showcase of the new iPad. The speeds vary greatly depending on where you are but many are getting around 20MBps. The downside is the implementation of LTE. It’s still in few cities, and each carrier has its own frequency. There isn’t yet a chip that handles all the different spectrums of LTE and as such, you must by the LTE model specifically for that network. iPads currently only work with the North American implication, with no other LTE chips as of yet announced for other countries.

• Peak Speed – 73Mbps
  • Real-World Speeds – 20Mbps
  • Which US networks have it – AT&T and Verizon

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell what bands do DTAC & TRUE use for 4G LTE in Thailand?

(Edit) Google is my friend!!

DTAC & True both use the 2100MHZ (Band 1) in BKK & Pattaya.

Can anyone give an idea which is best for internet speeds? I'll be staying on Beach Rd & Walking St.

You can never take back ......
  • A moment after it's missed
  • A word after it's said
  • Time after it's been wasted

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed totally pointless same in my opinion as 3G to 4G back in the uk.

If 3G runs streaming and You tube with no problems, for the life of me cant see the point of 4G

It won't matter, as there are three standards - 3G, 4G and LTE.

3G and 4G have various sub-standards that permit xterm speeds within their own ranks. It all depends on the carrier.

I've no idea of the tech stuff & 3G, 4G, LTE (WTF?) etc.

I'll be using my iPhone in Jomtien & Pattaya and tethering my iPad. I'll be using iMessage and FaceTime and need it to be reliable.

I have wifi in the Condo, so no problem there.

When I don't have wifi in places when I'm out, I'll need mobile data.

After reading suggestions/advice on the forum over last months, I'd decided to get a DTAC SIM on arrival.

Any reason for me to change my mind?

Thanks.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

iPhone 6.

iPad Air2 - wifi & cellular

Both bought direct from Apple so unlocked - no contract etc.

I use in UK on PAYG

You'll be fine. Just get a local SIM card for each.

TRUEmove [H] is a good choice, and they have a plan that allows you to add the iPad on it and share your data that way (just one plan to top-up, that way). TRUEmove [H] is also quite fast.

You'll be fine. Just get a local SIM card for each.

TRUEmove [H] is a good choice, and they have a plan that allows you to add the iPad on it and share your data that way (just one plan to top-up, that way). TRUEmove [H] is also quite fast.

Ok thanks.

I'll look for their kiosk at the airport.

Archived