IGNORED

Are Border Runs Still Possible?

Sexyfarangman

I know that a 30 day extension is now possible for one who only enters for 30 days. Before, the Thai authorities only gave a 7 day extension in these circumstances. Is it still possible to do a border once the 60 days are up? I've heard that the Thai authorities are cracking down on border runs.

yes it is i've done it my self but make sure you have supporting documents like bank statement and insurance papers.

plus cash with you to show you can fund your stay.

yes it is i've done it my self but make sure you have supporting documents like bank statement and insurance papers.

plus cash with you to show you can fund your stay.

They want to see insurance papers? Is it the same if you take a quick plane trip as it is if you you go by land?

They want to see insurance papers? Is it the same if you take a quick plane trip as it is if you you go by land?

My mate was here for 2 months then went home for 3 months and came back just for 1 month and had all sorts of questions thrown at him...

So i guess it will be the same for you..

i took insurance papers incase i was asked if i had cover i took a bank statement to prove i had the funds to be here.

My mate was here for 2 months then went home for 3 months and came back just for 1 month and had all sorts of questions thrown at him...

So i guess it will be the same for you..

i took insurance papers incase i was asked if i had cover i took a bank statement to prove i had the funds to be here.

If your friend was gone for 3 months, then his return was not a border run. A border run occurs when someone returns the same day he left LOS. The Thai authorities may be questioning everyone who enters the country in the same manner as your friend, regardless of whether it is an actual border run. On the other hand, they may have had specific reasons for questioning your friend in the manner they did.

It seems as though you are now limited to one land based border run for a 15 day extension. Thereafter, it seems as though you will have to enter by air to be good for another 30 days. .

It seems as though you are now limited to one land based border run for a 15 day extension. Thereafter, it seems as though you will have to enter by air to be good for another 30 days. .

A land-based entry for citizens of G7 countries will get you a 30 day visa exempt entry - it is not an extension.  It is irrelevant whether your previous entry was 30 days (visa exempt), or 60 days (with a visa).  Some border crossings, e.g. Sadao, don't allow "out-in" same-day crossings.

get a double entry tourist visa , so when you manage it correct , you can stay 6 months. and with a little cash you can get 3 months special visa after that..

get a double entry tourist visa , so when you manage it correct , you can stay 6 months. and with a little cash you can get 3 months special visa after that..

What's a "3 months special visa"?

Can you explain how the double entry visa works with regards to achieving a six month stay?

Thanks

p

Can you explain how the double entry visa works with regards to achieving a six month stay?

Thanks

p

60 days on entry, extend for 30 days at immigration. Border run, on re entry using the second tourist visa get another 60 days and extend at immigration for 30 days.

60+30+60+30=180

You can get a triple entry also giving longer. But the last visa needs to be used 6 months after being issued.

60 days on entry, extend for 30 days at immigration. Border run, on re entry using the second tourist visa get another 60 days and extend at immigration for 30 days.

60+30+60+30=180

You can get a triple entry also giving longer. But the last visa needs to be used 6 months after being issued.

How would you go about getting the second tourist visa? I assume you would have to leave the country and then re enter. Where would you go? Also, there has been some question about the Thai authorities allowing people to do this.

How would you go about getting the second tourist visa? I assume you would have to leave the country and then re enter. 

You buy a double entry, rather than single entry, visa in your home before you leave.  

visa app.jpg

Where would you go? 

You can go wherever you want, providing you exit Thailand.  

Also, there has been some question about the Thai authorities allowing people to do this.

Got a link to an example?

I have done the dual entry visa runs a couple times.

Day 1  Going to Laos, drop off passport and ask for dual entry visa in the morning.

(actually leaving Thailand at 6pm the night before so as to enter Laos in the morning)

spend the day walking around.

Day 2  Go pick up the passport with the visa and head back.

after 60 day visa is up then go to Jomtien immigration to extend for 30 more days (FIRST VISA USED)

After that is up I go to Cambodia to do a visa run .. just hop over the border and back one day 

after 60 day visa is up then go to Jomtien immigration to extend for 30 more days (SECOND VISA USED)

what do you mean about this though ?..   and with a little cash you can get 3 months special visa after that..

I have never heard about that.

You buy a double entry, rather than single entry, visa in your home before you leave.  

attachicon.gifvisa app.jpg

You can go wherever you want, providing you exit Thailand.  

Got a link to an example?

OK, I see. There was some question on this forum about whether the Thai authorities would allow you to exit and re enter under some new policies. Sorry that I can't provide the link. Do you know if the double entry will work on a land based exit and re-entry, or is it necessary to go by air?

OK, I see. There was some question on this forum about whether the Thai authorities would allow you to exit and re enter under some new policies. Sorry that I can't provide the link. Do you know if the double entry will work on a land based exit and re-entry, or is it necessary to go by air?

Either.

I just got a double entry visa via the land border with Laos yesterday.

You can go to any country you want to get this visa.  But, you have to go to an Embassy or consulate to get it.

You can not just pop over the border and get your visa stamped (ie "a visa run")

Before that I had a double entry visa from my home country.

I tend to go back to the USA once a year anyway.

I just got a double entry visa via the land border with Laos yesterday.

You can go to any country you want to get this visa.  But, you have to go to an Embassy or consulate to get it.

You can not just pop over the border and get your visa stamped (ie "a visa run")

Before that I had a double entry visa from my home country.

I tend to go back to the USA once a year anyway.

Suppose you have a double entry visa from the USA. My understanding, based on filibuster's comment above, is that after 90 days you could enter Laos by land and simply return with no problem. Under these conditions, you would not need to get a visa from an embassy in Laos. You would only need to go to the embassy if your double entry visa had expired after 6 months and you wanted to get another one. Is that correct?

Suppose you have a double entry visa from the USA. My understanding, based on filibuster's comment above, is that after 90 days you could enter Laos by land and simply return with no problem. Under these conditions, you would not need to get a visa from an embassy in Laos. You would only need to go to the embassy if your double entry visa had expired after 6 months and you wanted to get another one. Is that correct?

Correct on all points.

Correct on all points.

Thanks, very good to know.

NO NO NO .. 

NOT  QUITE RIGHT .. 

a tourist visa is only good for 60 days .. 

if you wait for 90 days before you do anything you will have overstayed your visa by 30 days

you will be fined 500 baht a day for the overstay and possibly banned from returning to Thailand for a year or so

if you have a double entry visa from anywhere .. here is what you do .. 

after 60 days it will expire . then you go to Jomtien Immigration and get a 30 day extension for 2000 baht

after that 30 days is up .. you go to Cambodia for a visa run and stamp your 2nd entry of the dual entry visa..

(your original visa is now used up) (you could go to Laos to do this but, Cambodia is a lot closer)

(you do not have to go to an embassy to get your second entry stamped .. just any land crossing and back)

after 60 more days your second entry of the dual entry visa is expired . and you again go to Jomtien and get a 30 day extension .. 

that is all you can do .. 

after this .. you have to get another Visa .. 

for this you have to go to an embassy or consulate .. 

Correct on all points.

NO 

he is NOT correct on all points .. 

a Tourist Visa is only good for 60 days .. NOT 90

if you wait until 90 days you will be in for a HUGE SURPRISE at the border .. 

because you have overstayed your visa for 30 days

after 60 days you have to go to Jomtien imigration and get it extended for 30 more days

NO 

he is NOT correct on all points .. 

a Tourist Visa is only good for 60 days .. NOT 90

if you wait until 90 days you will be in for a HUGE SURPRISE at the border .. 

because you have overstayed your visa for 30 days

after 60 days you have to go to Jomtien imigration and get it extended for 30 more days

Filibuster knew that in my question it was understood that I would get the  30 day extension before my first 60 day visa expired.

no need to go all the way to Laos for your visa run .. unless you want to drive the 10 hours :-) 

Filibuster knew that in my question it was understood that I would get the  30 day extension before my first 60 day visa expired.

Thank-you.

Archived