Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Unrestricted Internet - Question for IT Pros living in Thailand.

Tone

Hi Guys,

My question is really only for IT Professionals that live in Thailand.  Average people that work online running a blog etc may not understand my insane requirements.

I know this has been raised before but things change so im rasing it again.

Bottom line is, I'm going to thailand for 3 months either CM or Patts and need reliable unrestricted and fast internet.

Basically it cannot be shared wifi in a hotel thats running some sort of captive portal, no rate limiting of any sort or port blocking (VPN and VOIP absolutly need to be flawless)

I work as a systems engineer online and need the best internet available.

I understand multiple fixed fiber lines across different providers for redundacy would be the best solution, but not practical for only 3 months stay as the contracts are usaully 12 - 24 months?

Has anyone actaully gone through what Im about to and thoroughly tested multiple setups with different providers?

I think a 3G/4G dongle might do the trick? Is there a decent dongle that would suit my requirements? and whats the coverage like?

Cheers

Tone.

There is no completely unrestricted internet in Thailand (that I've seen).   The government blocks access to certain web servers so at least connections to port 80 are monitored.  

But that's the only restriction I've seen.

I'd suggest you stay in a condo with it's own ADSL connection rather than a condo that offers shared access to the internet via WiFi.      15Mbps down/1 Mbps up is around 1000 baht/month from 3bb.

Rental condos have the internet setup for you when you move in and since the owner keeps the internet going you end up paying the yearly discount price (or else the internet is included

in the rental fee so you pay nothing extra).   Just be sure to get the password for the router so you can disable or control the router's firewall if you want to receive incoming connections.

I have fiber to my house through Jomtien Cable ... 600 baht a month .. very stable 15 meg down .. 2 meg up .. 

and full access to my router.

but .. as noted the government has control of some website access .. 

Thanks guys.

Im not concerned about national filtering as long as i can VPN back to Australia its not a problem.

I had a problem in VN a few months back, 25mb down and 2mg up for anything in country, as soon as I tried to vpn back to Oz for Foxtel Play it was a shit connection.

LOS is better than VN in terms of infra but I'm not sore how goods it is, recommend getting someone to check the speed for OS servers not just the local ones.

I've been working remotely from Thailand since I moved here over five years ago. I use a variety of VPN and RDP connections to servers back in the states. Connections are fast, stable and reliable. Also use VOIP and video conferencing. VOIP is solid, video sometimes less so which I suspect is due to the international hops and latency.

Outages are very rare and if they do happen, of short duration. At least in Pattaya. Since I can't afford to have the connection fail at what may be a critical work period, I have both True (fiber) and 3BB (ADSL). True is 18M download, 1.8M upload and costs 748B/month. 3BB is 15M download, 1M upload and costs 963B/month.

Here's what I'm actually getting.

SqmCA7y2.D9TFp1S.png

lpMetd2E.YyOw705.png

IIRC, the ISP service providers want one year contracts, so that may be a problem for you. They'll also want one year's payment upfront, but I got around that one by having my TGF sign the contract. For her they were happy to do a pay month to month plan.

• 3 weeks later...

You have three ways of doing it.

1.  You can use a proxy like kproxy.com which is free.

2. Used a VPN as others have mentioned.

3. the most secure is using the Tor browser. 

I hope that helps.

You have three ways of doing it.

1.  You can use a proxy like kproxy.com which is free.

2. Used a VPN as others have mentioned.

3. the most secure is using the Tor browser. 

I hope that helps.

Proxy and TOR browser are just for browsing the internet, the sysadmin tools won't work over them.

Since OP is a systems engineer he knows this.

In defense of shared hotel connections with login portals, I have to say that while staying in Bangkok hotels I was able to use all ports I need, including FTP, SSH, SMTP and TLS.

In defense of shared hotel connections with login portals, I have to say that while staying in Bangkok hotels I was able to use all ports I need, including FTP, SSH, SMTP and TLS.

I would mention only that not all hotels are as open (Novotel Bangkok, I'm looking at you). The wifi was virtually non-existant and the room's wired connection was down; I ended up getting a phone and leeched wifi over it. VPN was completely blocked and throughput was marginal. Do double-check reviews in TripAdvisor or Yelp to see what others have encountered..

I would mention only that not all hotels are as open (Novotel Bangkok, I'm looking at you). The wifi was virtually non-existant and the room's wired connection was down; I ended up getting a phone and leeched wifi over it. VPN was completely blocked and throughput was marginal. Do double-check reviews in TripAdvisor or Yelp to see what others have encountered..

yes, it depends on the hotel - I was probably lucky, I stayed at Landmark, Dawin, Bless Residence, President Solitaire and a couple more.

I guess network policies tend to be more restrictive in large Western owned hotel groups - but I almost never book in those because their pricing is often off.

• 1 month later...

As I remember it there is no such thing as a fast stable ISP in Thailand they are all flawed. :DeadHorse2:

How about tethering your phone with a DTAC/True 4G SIM?

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Archived