IGNORED

Traveling with cash

marcdonald

I've used an under-shirt money belt for decades without a problem, always wear a dark colored loose shirt with it though. 

Once in country I lock my excess funds and Passport etc in the room safe in whatever hotel I book into, usually a 4 star rater both for comfort and security.

I always check the safe over if it's a hotel I havent used before.

Additionally I carry my Bank Debit card with a healthy excess fund for back up and any emergencies.

The Yale travel safe appeals to me, I'll get one.

Of course when travelling with larger sums of currency, I always have the bank statement to show where the money came from

I carry cash locked in a Yale Travel Safe and secured within my carryon bag.  The wire loop on the safe is feed through a secure point inside the bag.   Not easy for someone to separate valuables from my carry bag while going through security checks.

The safe is inexpensive extra security at around $25.

http://www.yalelock.com.au/en/yale/yale-au/Yale-Products/?productId=977246

attachicon.gifyaletravelsafe_1.jpg

attachicon.gifyaletravelsafe_2.jpg

Interesting re Security Checks........I will not go through the Body Scanner until my hand luggage has entered the black out screen. I know with complete certainty that the Scanner will not bleep me and in fact I dont even bother looking at the security staff when walking through. As I do my hand luggage in those 2-3 seconds is through.  I will never go through the Scanner until the bag enters.

No need to carry large amounts of cash. Bank ATM card with no international transaction fees is the way to go.

If you are entering or leaving the US you can carry up to $10,000 without having to declare the money.  If it is over that amount then you need to complete the FinCen 105 form to declare what you have (you can give it to a customers office on departure or arrival at the airport).  Failure to report an amount over $10,000 will result in confiscation.  US Customs has stepped up enforcement of this rule and I have been stopped several times in Houston in LA upon departure (they waiting near the door of the aircraft during board) and they were asking all passengers how money they had with them; several people were having their belongings searched.  I've heard their primary focus is to catch people running businesses in the US who are trying to smuggle the money out to another country without paying taxes.

I always try to take at least £1k cash - you get the best exchange rate and avoid atm charges.... I always wish I had taken more cash as the charges and exchange rate can easily add up to £100 say on £3k of spending - which equates to an LT with a stunner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always carry cash with me when I go back to the US (between $2,000 and $70,000 usually), all in the same wallet as all my credit cards and ATM cards.  Man, do I need to get a clue or what!?

any problems carrying travelor checks?

For the purposes of the $10,000 limit for the US, you would have to declare the traveler's checks (they are considered cash equiv under the rule)

No offense intended to the OP, but is this thread really about safely traveling with cash, or a way to 'brag' about carrying so much cash around?

5K may not be a lot to him, but it sure is to a lot of us.

why you put 'brag' in quotation marks....oh, I guess you didn't have enough dosh to afford an education-tough shit....

The UK government site says: 'You must declare cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you take it between the UK and any non-European Union (EU) country.'

I'm gonna take maybe half this amount in cash. As long as i take less than the required declared amount I assume that I will be good to go. I've been saving for ages and like to draw cash out of my account for my pattaya fund or I'll just spend it.

The UK government site says: 'You must declare cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you take it between the UK and any non-European Union (EU) country.'

I'm gonna take maybe half this amount in cash. As long as i take less than the required declared amount I assume that I will be good to go. I've been saving for ages and like to draw cash out of my account for my pattaya fund or I'll just spend it.

Declare 10k Euro yep but dont forget Customs on Final Gate can ask as to origins of anything over just £1,000  (have never understood why Euro in one and Sterling the other either !!)

Smart arse answers of winning it on the Dogs Horses or similar is very likely to make you travel without it pending further investigation if he/she dont like you  !!

I've been asked 3 times over the Years so it does happen.  Carry ATM receipt to level of cash held.  If you did get it on the Dogs just churn it through your bank to be on the safe side

I have just drawn it out of an atm from my salary each month. I don't have the atm transactions slips - I just assumed it would be okay. I also drew some out each month so I could select the cleanest notes and use the rest for going out etc. I really could do without having to stress about the possibility they could seize my cash.

... printing statements to show withdrawals just in case lol...

... printing statements to show withdrawals just in case lol...

Yep thats all you need nothing more.  Just highlight with a Marker in advance what funds you're using and just file away. The chance of a random tug are slight but they do occur at Heathrow certainly.

Its not a seizure per se anyway because they just detain pending further investigation.  If you're employed with salary you'd have no problem anyway. What they are looking for is the Guys with no visible signs of income or on benefits but somehow have £5k on them etc etc

not a problem at all.

On exit, under 10,000 reporting is not obligatory.

For thailand, on arrival less than 20,000 reporting is not obligatory and if customs, security, or whoever gets to know they do not have any right to have you prove your money source.

I am not amercian, but few  times  i carried about 10K and sometimes 15K, but never reported nor had any problem.

not a problem at all.

On exit, under 10,000 reporting is not obligatory.

For thailand, on arrival less than 20,000 reporting is not obligatory and if customs, security, or whoever gets to know they do not have any right to have you prove your money source.

I am not amercian, but few  times  i carried about 10K and sometimes 15K, but never reported nor had any problem.

Correct its not obligatory (remember thats Euros not Sterling so around £7400 takes you over) but you can still be asked as to origin of any monies over £1000

I was once stopped at Manchester Airport and asked how much cash I was carrying before I flew to Bangkok.

I said £1500, which was true.  He said 'That's fine sir'  and waved me through.  He didn't ask to see it and there were no follow up questions.

Archived