Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tourist sim or standard sim?

exercise

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the question is dtac or AIS ?

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

But AIS doesn't offer 1-year validity.

Go with Dtac as it is easiest and cheapest to extend the validity. It costs 2 Baht per 30 days. You can extend it for 30, 90 or 180 days up to a maximum of 365 days.

Here is the code to use: *113*[number of days]*9#

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

What airline is giving the DTAC SIM cards away for free when you get off?

• 2 weeks later...

Getting a SIM at the airport kiosk upon arrival is the easiest and simplest solution.

Once you get to the counter, just hand over your phone and tell the CSR which package (SIM + any extra data) you want to buy (there are signs and placards posted), hand over your baht.

They'll efficiently (it's what they do all day after all) switch out the SIM and get you set up on the network in a few minutes.

Have been told to wait ten minutes before trying to use data, which is fine since by the time I find my taxi driver and get out to the carpark and ready to go, the ten minutes has elapsed. 

Would they be able to unlock a phone

Never say never

Would they be able to unlock a phone

No, have your phone unlocked prior to arrival, or supposedly some shops at Tukcom in Pattaya can do it for a fee.  :Dunno:

The easiest way is to take a free one they give you when you exit the plane. :wink:

247.jpg

Hi,

I've just booked up for a week to go in a weeks time.  Thiss will be our first trip.

I'm trying to figure out how it works getting the sim.  Do all airlines dish out this sim card when you depart?

We're flying Emirates, last leg being Dubai to BKK.  

Is it a typical micro/standard sim card?

I'm guessing the 15baht of call time is next to nothing....but basically want to look at some sort of data package for facebook and the likes.

Alternatively, if the plane do not give away the sim cards.....I'm guessing the dtac service desks sell them too?

What sort of opening package is there to buy?  Basically after a weeks worth of data (it'll probably mostly be facebook - maybe a small bit of internet (ie this forum...if the local wifi doesnt work in the room).  And I guess maybe 3 or 4 phone calls tops...maybe none at all

There will be a counter just before you enter the arrivals area. They should have all SIM card sizes. If staying for a week and want mostly data I would go for the Happy Tourist SIM which gives unlimited data for a week with a small quota of calls and sms.

Thanks.....sooooo....I'm guessing the order to do things, is head :

1.  collect luggage.

2.  go through passport control.

3.  Find somewhere to change £ to baht (have yet to search for this fully)

4.  Find that counter

5.  Get taxi :)

http://store.dtac.co.th/en/happytouristsim

• Free 100 Baht call credit (however long that lasts)
  • Free Unlimited Internet* for 7-day usage and 15-day usage

Whats the difference between the 299 and 599 baht options?  It doesn't seem to say?

edit - oops ignore that last part I didn't scroll down lol

.99 baht per minute - wow thats pretty cheap

So basically....£6 for 100 minutes approx call time + unlimited data.  I'm guessing if you were to use up the 100 free baht credits, that the actual 299 baht gets used up slowly.

I can't see how much per mb AFTER the 7 days are up?  (technically we're there for 8 days)

They don't just hand sims out now, every sim has to be registered to a person, even all Thai have to register there sim by end of July, that said it's simple all you need is your passport, feverdog only change what you need to before you get to patts, best rates in patts

ah ok.  Thanks....so so long as I have my passport (which I obviously will, being at the airport) I can still buy them from the desk then.

Looking again at that site, I'm not sure if I have to buy/pay online first, to then collect it at the airport...or if thats just a way to save a small bit of time at the airport?

As for cash.....thanks for the tip....so Pattaya itself the better rate.

I still need to convert a chunk bit......1500 for the taxi, money for the for phone sim...and then I believe I need to pay for the VT6 condo in cash (around £250 worth) when I arrive (or maybe fine if its within x hours when I get there to walk to somewhere nearby to exchange.

Is the rate massively different compared to airport?

Sort sim at airport, simple they have various plans, money, the rate in Pattaya is right behind the market rates, (tt exchange is a good reference they are everywhere in Pattaya) airport rates won't be any better than well the UK for sure, my guess is a tenner saving on £250, good luck ☺

You do not tell what time you arrive. If you arrive Daytime, I would do the following:

1. Change a little money at Airport, so you can pay your taxi.

2. Go to Pattaya and to the Office at VT6

3. Store your luggage at the Office then head to Central Festival Mall (100 Meter away)

4. Change your money at the money changer at ground floor http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/270048-best-currencies-exchange-in-pattaya/?p=3119824

5. Go up to 2. or 3. floor, somewhere in the middle there is a official DTAC Shop, buy your sim card there (you avoid the sometimes longer waiting time at the DTAC Shop at the airport, because of the many people buying sim cards there), do not forget your passport for registration.

6. Go back to Office, pay and move into your room.

thank you...very helpful.  We arrive around 12:30pm...so guessing after passport control and so on maybe get to Pattaya around 3pm give or take.

I think the condorentals place is on the VT6, not sure if thats the office you mean but I'm guessing so.  I'll do that :)

If you book with the Company you wrote about in another thread, yes they do have the Office in VT6, I was talking about that Office. Btw. If the money changer shown in the video is not open, you can go up to the 4 floor. There are many banks where you can exchange too, rate is a little less then the one in my link, but still better then at Airport anyway.

AFAIK, beside of Dancewatcher, all other recomended Rental Companys for VT6 have an Office at VT6 itself. All will have that mentioned on there website somewhere anyway.

Enjoy your stay, VT6 is a great place.

thank you - yes it is

viewtalaycondo6.com

The person there has been very helpful.

The sim itself is no immediate rush, so can call in and get that anytime, now that I know its right next door :)

Really looking forward to it - just a lot to sort out between now and next week

Next on list, find place for "genuine" massage nearby for not too long after we arrive to relax after the full days travels.  We'll save the kinky stuff for later lol

In that case, just go and change the money at Central Mall, then head back, check into your room and freshen up. After I would go and have a longer look at Central Mall later, maybe get some food there and buy your Sim Card.  

There are massage places in VT6 when you walk to the lifts. I heard they are "genuine", never used them thought. 

lol thank you.

I'll report back to how genuine they are if we use them :)

I have no Desire to have my neck cracked thank you very much lol.  Oil for me I think

I've found that the 7-day cards last 8. I guess buy it as late as possible on arrival.

When I arrived in January I bought this AIS 123 sim and kept it until i left, the 14feb. Still have the card and everything, even the original box/folder. 

I'm coming this June again. Can I recharg it or is it too late? If it's possible, is it cheaper to recharge it or should I just get a new one? 

Dont care about calling whatsoever, only looking for data plans. 

Archived