IGNORED

Tourist sim or standard sim?

exercise

On each trip I've purchased a 7-day tourist sim card that gives a small call quota and unlimited data. The last 2 times I found it troublesome when getting the data to work. I had to make a number of calls to customer service.

Would it be better to get a standard sim card and top it up as and when I need it? I would use it mainly for data. I would like to be able to top it up at a convenience store or online and would need the validity to be extended each time I top up.

What do you think?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on a normal DTAC SIM. I usually add on a daily Internet plan. On my last trip in end March, I used the 12 baht per day plan with unlimited Facebook, LINE and WhatsApp + 150mb (http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Social-Unlimited-package.html).

I top it up using the white standalone machines outside some Family Marts (no service fee) or the orange ones outside some 7/11s (minimum 2 baht service fee). Each topup on these machine usually gives me 3 additional months' validity on the number, up to a year.

provider.png

Just a note, and warning that new development is the be all and bought a new sim card to register with proof of identity.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Just a note, and warning that new development is the be all and bought a new sim card to register with proof of identity.

Hostesses were giving free Happy SIM cards when I exited my plane at Bangkok last week.

Of course no registration made in this case ;)

Is validity for standard sims just 3 months? I'm likely to be out of Thailand for more than that. Can I top these up over the internet?

Is validity for standard sims just 3 months? I'm likely to be out of Thailand for more than that. Can I top these up over the internet?

I bought a sim in September and it was still working in March

There are a number of previous threads in this section discussing schemes to top up Thai SIM cards via the internet.

I've never had a problem with DTAC SIMs obtained at Suvarnabhumi, but in that case the customer service representatives check the settings and setup to ensure it works with your device.

If you're getting a SIM from the corner 7-11 instead, well, that could be the problem.  :Dunno:

Looked into this on the net. I'm going to the dtac counter in arrivals and getting one of those happy tourist sims. Looks like a simple process.

Agree that better to get it from them direct as they should check all is ok for your phone on purchase.

I'm going to the dtac counter in arrivals and getting one of those happy tourist sims. Looks like a simple process.

Getting a SIM at the airport kiosk upon arrival is the easiest and simplest solution.

Once you get to the counter, just hand over your phone and tell the CSR which package (SIM + any extra data) you want to buy (there are signs and placards posted), hand over your baht.

They'll efficiently (it's what they do all day after all) switch out the SIM and get you set up on the network in a few minutes.

Have been told to wait ten minutes before trying to use data, which is fine since by the time I find my taxi driver and get out to the carpark and ready to go, the ten minutes has elapsed. 

But did you top up?

No, it was unused for around 5 months while I was at home and worked when I landed (although needed to top-up again)

Getting a SIM at the airport kiosk upon arrival is the easiest and simplest solution.

The easiest way is to take a free one they give you when you exit the plane. :wink:

247.jpg

No, it was unused for around 5 months while I was at home and worked when I landed (although needed to top-up again)

Okay so sounds like a standard sim is suitable for me then

The easiest way is to take a free one they give you when you exit the plane. :wink:

247.jpg

Yes but I may still have the issue with getting data enabled. I am thinking that the standard sim, once data-enabled, could be used beyond the one-week limitation of the happy tourist sim and for some months even. If I can keep it for maybe six months then top up on my next visit or better still top up online then that would be heaven.

When you buy an AIS SIM (1-2-Call) it has a validity for 3 months.

After the top-up has expired the number is still valid for several more months (I think 6) and you can continue to receive text and calls during that time

Whenever you top-up you extend validity (AIS 30 days per 50 baht, max 365)

You can buy extended validity from your existing balance (AIS 30 baht per 30 days).

If you leave Thailand and have money on your account, but not enough validity till you return you can use any part of you balance that will expire anyway. Even if you don't have enough to extend to your next trip, you can extend as long as possible and if that time plus 6 months is within the time frame of your return you will still have your old number, but need to top up.

I returned lately after my card had been expired more than a year and at the airport I was told no good buy new, at Tukcom the same, at Central initially the same. I told them that I tried to call the number and it was unassigned, then after some work on the computer and a couple if trips to the back room I was handed the old SIM back with the original number active ... and no charge, just needed to top-up.

Mobile Phones & SIM Cards in Thailand

Yes but I may still have the issue with getting data enabled. I am thinking that the standard sim, once data-enabled, could be used beyond the one-week limitation of the happy tourist sim and for some months even. If I can keep it for maybe six months then top up on my next visit or better still top up online then that would be heaven.

This kind of card validity can be extended, by adding credit month by month, or by buying a longer validity period. I made it this year and it costs 6 baht/3 months period, so 24 baht to get a 1 year validity for your SIM/number. :)

This card give access to data (Internet) too.

This kind of card validity can be extended, by adding credit month by month, or by buying a longer validity period. I made it this year and it costs 6 baht/3 months period, so 24 baht to get a 1 year validity for your SIM/number. :)

This card give access to data (Internet) too.

Is that an AIS sim?

Okay so sounds like a standard sim is suitable for me then

I got AIS.

You top up at 7/11 however getting data (700mb for 7 days) requires you to text AIS and its all in thai, so ask the clerk in 7/11 and tip if they get it right (took me 3 different stores)

When you buy an AIS SIM (1-2-Call) it has a validity for 3 months.

After the top-up has expired the number is still valid for several more months (I think 6) and you can continue to receive text and calls during that time

Whenever you top-up you extend validity (AIS 30 days per 50 baht, max 365)

You can buy extended validity from your existing balance (AIS 30 baht per 30 days).

If you leave Thailand and have money on your account, but not enough validity till you return you can use any part of you balance that will expire anyway. Even if you don't have enough to extend to your next trip, you can extend as long as possible and if that time plus 6 months is within the time frame of your return you will still have your old number, but need to top up.

I returned lately after my card had been expired more than a year and at the airport I was told no good buy new, at Tukcom the same, at Central initially the same. I told them that I tried to call the number and it was unassigned, then after some work on the computer and a couple if trips to the back room I was handed the old SIM back with the original number active ... and no charge, just needed to top-up.

Mobile Phones & SIM Cards in Thailand

That link suggests that True offers a 1-year validity. Maybe this is the one most suitable for me

Dtac will also get you one year validity, the added benefit from Dtac is the best english website of all three on offer. That was the main reason for me to choose Dtac and I am happy with them. They have shops in Central Festival Beachroad and Big C Extra (ex Carrefour) on Pattaya Klang.

That link suggests that True offers a 1-year validity. Maybe this is the one most suitable for me

It is my understanding that True Move has two great features: One year validity on any top-up and 1 baht per dialing to western countries (landlines and all numbers in US and Canada). Signup for international promotion may be required and dialing instructions are 006-00-CountryCode-Number.

This service may cost more per local call and local text.

247.jpg

Here is a phone screen shot from when I extended the validity of such Happy card in January :

post-243-0-43512700-1424933722.png

I had already a 3-months validity, and with 18 baht I got a 1-year validity.

Archived