Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

True / Dtac : all in package for 3 weeks

hetepatat

I've checked

TRUE 3G iSmart , for 399 baht they offer 150 minutes and 1.75 GB data on 3G, good speed  , i think it's valid for one month

Heard it was possible before to grab a free simcard at the airport  //

DTAC  299 bht, 1 week unlimited internet valid for 1 week (simcard included) + 100 minutes (35 days) ,

Need to add an internet package after the first week, which would cost 349 baht for 1.5 GB extra (to be on the safe side)

AIS : even the English part of the side is too much in Thai for me to understand. No idea what they offer. I expect them to be

more expensive as they are the biggest provider in LOS.

3G will be sufficient , but do have 4G on my phone too.

Will be using wifi in the hotel, but that was rather bad last time (cheap room though).

Then again, i saw that voip calling on the hotel's wifi was a problem before because of not enough consistency in the connection. Makes me

doubt wifi is ever an option for this. Worked fine on 3G before.

I will be sending some texts, but i think it wouldn't make a difference what operator i would choose. All about the same (low) price for texts.

Calling international : don't need it from Thai operator as i will be using voip apps for this purpose. Same for international tekst.

Any views or some good advice about this ?

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

I'll be looking for similar so will be interested in any replies.

I thought my options were:

DTAC Happy Tourist Sim at 599 baht for 2 weeks. It's 299 for a week so assume you can add that for Week 3?

AIS Traveller Sim at 299 per week.

http://store.dtac.co.th/en/happytouristsim

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/visiting/sim-for-traveller-en.aspx

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topping/net_limited_en.html

seems to be the link for prepaid options. I think i got the postpaid price in my post above.
True has 1 GB for one month, 250 bht -   rather cheap if added to the 'free sim', if possible.

4G package is available at even better price of 179 bht but only on 4G simcard. Don't know the price of the latter... or the conditions.

@ davidge

I think you could add the 299 baht for the third week but that would give you a new sim card and new Phone number too.
Check this for options (internet) you can add in the third week.

Go to this link   http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/recommended-add-on.html
Have a look around on their option choices too.   I think this would help you out for your third week.

Thanks for the AIS link.  This is a page (halleluja) I can understand :-)

I used DTAC last time and found it was working really well. No complaints.

One more thought on the matter :  Thai mobile Phone operators seem to be very confusing with all their different tariffs and options.
Tried to read through again but it keeps me from sleeping if i would go on.

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

Ok. Thanks.

I want to tether my iPad to my iPhone and another BM said in another thread that they'd done that with DTAC previously.

I'll get a SIM at the airport and, hopefully, the staff there will tell me the best way to top up.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I'm a heavy data user due to work commitments so opted for DTAC's happy tourist, around 1k per month with 12g ad 300 mins, they should've an issue with their data charging platform as I raped the package for 24 days (streaming/tethering/VPN/VoIP/...) but didn't manage to finish my bucket.

Archived