IGNORED

Cafe le Mar

anglesea

Tried the cafe la Mar for the first time after reading a review elsewhere. It's located in Jomtien along the Beach Rd just after soi15. in the evening on Valentines day so was quite busy. Had large range of western and Thai food and a pizza oven on premises. My girlfriend wanted Thai food so that's what we had - a spicy baked fish, penang curry and salad. Food was ok but nothing to rave about. However service was very slow and off-hand, the western owner busy making sure everyone else but us was OK. I might return to try the pizza but not otherwise.

Tried the cafe la Mar for the first time after reading a review elsewhere. It's located in Jomtien along the Beach Rd just after soi15. in the evening on Valentines day so was quite busy. Had large range of western and Thai food and a pizza oven on premises. My girlfriend wanted Thai food so that's what we had - a spicy baked fish, penang curry and salad. Food was ok but nothing to rave about. However service was very slow and off-hand, the western owner busy making sure everyone else but us was OK. I might return to try the pizza but not otherwise.

I go just for the Pizza which can taste from okay to very good depending on the day, and it's nice to eat on the terrace with view on the beach.

Went to it a few months ago with my gf and cousin, we had a good time, clean toilets, nice service and decent music. we only had drinks so can't comment on the food. 

I tried the pizza once. Never went back. Not remarkably bad just there are so many better places. 

• 4 years later...

I have become fond of this place. Yes, it has it's shortcomings.

• The food is good, but as someone else said it is nothing to rave about.
  • Service can be slow at times.

So why do I like it?

• It is really a pleasant place to grab a relaxed bite. That area of Jomtien Beach Road is pretty quiet.
  • There is a mix of indoor and al fresca dining options. Depending on the sea breeze, the al fresca can be nice.
  • Parking and traffic are not problems this far South.
  • They have 382 items on the menu. The Thai food is good. The pizza is not bad. Most of the Western items are decent.
  • The prices are moderate. We usually run a bill of under 1000 for two persons. That is including drinks. Average entree cost tends to be around 300.

377228189_CafeleMar-A.thumb.jpg.d0dea7aa23942cf93d8068972af9ae8b.jpg

1702443933_CafeleMar-B.thumb.jpg.47f95dbced87eaf23542f5b27b416e7f.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer

A restaurant thread should have some food pics. This is from Loy Krathong. Three of us shared mainly Thai food.

Loy Krathong - A.jpg

• 1 month later...

Stopped in at Cafe le Mar last night. Now that we have a car, we have more freedom of where we want to go and parking in this area is a breeze. I have reached the conclusion about Cafe le Mar that the Thai food is better than the Western food. They are best known for their pizzas, which are decent based on my two orders, but pizza is something I try to eat only once a month due to the effect it has on my pants size.

A few pics from last night.

The GF ordered Pad Thai and sushi level salmon. I sometimes call her the wasabi Queen. I tasted a little of the Pad Thai and it was good.

1345564425_CafeleMar2-A.thumb.jpg.3da1bb96a2b52ca191fd7574a7fe24f3.jpg

I went with Paneng Moo. The sauce was very good. The pork could have been a little more tender and I will probably go with Paneng Gai the next time I am in the mood for a Paneng dish here. Paneng is basically a red curry sauce with moderate heat, in case anyone is not familiar with it.

205848602_CafeleMar2-B.thumb.jpg.200be4c7e924014d51927c41dd609392.jpg

All in all, nothing new in this review other than the usual this is is a very pleasant place with good, not outstanding, food. I do recommend the Thai dishes or pizza, over the Western dishes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2020 at 00:21, ChiFlyer said:

I went with Paneng Moo. The sauce was very good. The pork could have been a little more tender and I will probably go with Paneng Gai the next time I am in the mood for a Paneng dish here. Paneng is basically a red curry sauce with moderate heat, in case anyone is not familiar with it.

Stopped back in tonight and went with the Paneng Gai (Chicken). I liked it a lot better than the pork version. Both are very tasty, but the chicken is much more tender.

Edited by ChiFlyer

So how much it costs to eat the thai food in the fancy farang establishment? 300bht or more? Targeted to the thai people who come with farang who don't care about the cost? 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2020 at 22:51, jimboh said:

Reopening soon, 15th

They are open. We drove by tonight on our way to Pupen's to meet up with a few friends. Cafe le Mar had a pretty decent sized crowd. We will likely get over one night next week to check it out. The remodeling job (based on a drive by observation) looks nice. Glad to see a restaurant that I like coming back. I like their new sign. It is turqoise and stands out nicely so that the locale is easy to spot, not that it was all that tough before.

If one is considering a first trip here. IMO - Many people lilke their pizza, but I am not one of them. The menu is huge. I tend to like their Thai dishes better than their Farang food, although their are some Italian sandwiches on the last page that I keep meaning to try.

Have always been a big fan of this place, and keeps missus happy when we go. A pleasant setting, something quaint about eating when looking out to sea.

Dropped in for lunch yesterday, nice job on refurbishment. But they do have a serious lack of fans, should have plenty fans on the structure. From memory. menu is same as before.

Both Thai dishes were great, quality ingredients, I know its a small thing but presented in lovely rugby ball style bowels. 

Note, they are closed Mondays.

thumbnail_IMG_2481.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2486.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2491.png

8 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

They are open. We drove by tonight on our way to Pupen's to meet up with a few friends. Cafe le Mar had a pretty decent sized crowd. We will likely get over one night next week to check it out. The remodeling job (based on a drive by observation) looks nice. Glad to see a restaurant that I like coming back. I like their new sign. It is turqoise and stands out nicely so that the locale is easy to spot, not that it was all that tough before.

If one is considering a first trip here. IMO - Many people lilke their pizza, but I am not one of them. The menu is huge. I tend to like their Thai dishes better than their Farang food, although their are some Italian sandwiches on the last page that I keep meaning to try.

Forgot to mention, was not busy when we were there around midday.