IGNORED

Tourist Visa to USA Success

stillakid

I want to report on our success regarding getting a Tourist Visa to the USA for my Thai wife.  I have read on numerous forums of the tremendous hassle and difficulty of getting a tourist visa and it made me really worried.  But we went through the process anyway and it worked.

We filed the application online and paid the fees a few weeks ago.  Last week we went for the interview at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai with lots of documentation that would hopefully show US immigration that my wife would return to Thailand after a visit.

Immigration officials in Thailand and in the USA have told me that because we are married, it would be more difficult for her to get a Tourist Visa.  So, we were really expecting a tough time.

My wife said that the Thai and American officials she talked to in Chiang Mai were very nice and easy to talk to and laugh with.  She was in the consulate for about an hour but the interview was only about 10 minutes.  They looked at almost none of our documentation.

My wife was given a Tourist Visa valid for 10 years and will be getting it mailed back to us in a few days.  I do not know a lot about the policies and what works and does not work.  I can only comment on our experience and it was almost pleasant.

One thing to remember though is that immigration at the port of entry in the USA can determine if and for how long a tourist can stay in the USA.  But I am told by reliable sources that if they do not seem like they will work or go to school and it is apparent they will return according to their itinerary, things are fine.  I did get a recommendation from an immigration lawyer in the US that we should travel on a weekday so that if there is a problem, we can contact a lawyer quickly.

Hope this report helps others to obtain a tourist visa.

Stillakid

Congrats, hope all works out. Approximently how much does this cost?

According to embassy / immigration people, being married to a US citizen makes it more difficult to get a tourist visa.  Supposedly because there is more of a chance the person will either try to stay in the US illegally or try to do a change of status in the US and get a permanent resident visa. 

I assume there are many factors that they look at, but they do not tell you what they are and how they are weighted.

I have no direct experience with trying to get a tourist visa for a girlfriend.  They must qualify for the visa on their own merit and show that they will return to Thailand.

Stillakid

Thank you.  I was really stressed and worried but all seems to be well now. 

The fee for application is 5280 baht ($160) and is non-refundable.  It is paid whether you get the visa or not.

The biggest cost was the trip to Chiang Mai, travel, hotel, food, etc etc.  Minor cost is for passport photos.  We got professional photos done to attach online to the application.  When my wife got to the consulate, they told her the photo was not correct.  She had to go up the street to a shop for another photo in which her hair was pulled back behind her ears.  ????????

Her passport just came now via Thai post.

Stillakid

According to embassy / immigration people, being married to a US citizen makes it more difficult to get a tourist visa.  Supposedly because there is more of a chance the person will either try to stay in the US illegally or try to do a change of status in the US and get a permanent resident visa. 

I assume there are many factors that they look at, but they do not tell you what they are and how they are weighted.

I have no direct experience with trying to get a tourist visa for a girlfriend.  They must qualify for the visa on their own merit and show that they will return to Thailand.

Stillakid

Being married (legally) to US Citizen makes that person eligible to legally stay in the US and get a permanent resident status which later on is path to citizenship.  It is specifically allowed.  See the link provided below.

Tourist visa for GIRLFRIEND is exactly what you said.  Extremely difficult and the girl HAS to get it on their own merit.

State Dept's web site on Immigration Visa for a Spouse of Fiance of a U.S. Citizen

What the embassy should have told you is that you are getting the wrong kind of visa.

These are the docs required to get a Visa for your foreign-citizen spouse.

As long as it is a legit marriage, it should be easy to provide "evidence of relationship" (holiday pictures taken together, marriage ceremony photos, history of correspondence, etc).  This is where most faked marriage scam (pays about 40K to 50K) failed.

DocReq.jpg

Thanks for the link and info.  The position we are in is that we do not want to live permanently (at this time) in the USA.  We only want to visit 2 or 3 months per year. With a permanent resident visa, she would have to stay in the USA for at least 6 months per year or risk losing the visa.  And it takes 9-12 months typically for a permanent resident visa to be obtained.  My understanding is that if we had not been married and applied for a fiancée visa, it would take a lot less time but we would have to be married in the USA within 90 days.  But then, she would still get a permanent resident status.

So as far as I know, the only option we really had was a tourist visa for staying in the US a short time. 

The other possibility would be to get a permanent resident visa, wait 3 plus years and become a citizen of the USA, then travel freely.

Stillakid

I want to report on our success regarding getting a Tourist Visa to the USA for my Thai wife.  I have read on numerous forums of the tremendous hassle and difficulty of getting a tourist visa and it made me really worried.  But we went through the process anyway and it worked.

We filed the application online and paid the fees a few weeks ago.  Last week we went for the interview at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai with lots of documentation that would hopefully show US immigration that my wife would return to Thailand after a visit.

Immigration officials in Thailand and in the USA have told me that because we are married, it would be more difficult for her to get a Tourist Visa.  So, we were really expecting a tough time.

My wife said that the Thai and American officials she talked to in Chiang Mai were very nice and easy to talk to and laugh with.  She was in the consulate for about an hour but the interview was only about 10 minutes.  They looked at almost none of our documentation.

My wife was given a Tourist Visa valid for 10 years and will be getting it mailed back to us in a few days.  I do not know a lot about the policies and what works and does not work.  I can only comment on our experience and it was almost pleasant.

One thing to remember though is that immigration at the port of entry in the USA can determine if and for how long a tourist can stay in the USA.  But I am told by reliable sources that if they do not seem like they will work or go to school and it is apparent they will return according to their itinerary, things are fine.  I did get a recommendation from an immigration lawyer in the US that we should travel on a weekday so that if there is a problem, we can contact a lawyer quickly.

Hope this report helps others to obtain a tourist visa.

Stillakid

Getting my lass a 10 year multi -entry was just as simple and straight forward but in Bangkok. All I will say for others trying for the visa is take along whatever paperwork you feel will assist your/her case with you. We took both original and photocopies in two separate files. They looked at only item but the fact that we had prepared properly seemed to carry a lot weight with the interviewer. My lass was asked questions in both English and Thai, sometimes the same question  :Evil_Grin2: and was granted a visa within 10 minutes.

Whilst waiting to be seen she saw many other people who had merely turned up without supporting documentation, getting angry, only to be questioned more and eventually refused. 

Stillakid

When I was married my wife got a 10 year tourist visa also. Very easy, 5 minute interview and received verbal approval. I was living here and on a one year extension of stay (retirement).

Before we were married she had been denied one and I was at the interview (can't do that now) and the consular official said that in cases like ours my status in Thailand is a big issue. If the husband is here on a long term permission to stay they will take that as evidence that the husband lives in Thailand therefore that is a valid reason for the wife to be expected to return.

On the other hand, if you were married and you came in and out on visa exempt entries. or tourist visas, regardless of how much time you spent here, they would assume that your "residence" was in your home country and this would be bad for the wifes chances as they may consider that she might not return to Thailand but stay with her husband in his country of residence.

The official policy that she must qualify for the visa on her own doesn't really apply when she is married to a foreigner from the country she wants to visit . Your status is important.

My wife owns a house and we have a lease on another which we are living in.  Our truck and 2 motorcycles are in her name.  She has two grown kids and one grandson in Thailand.  We have a letter from her Mother stating that she helps in the store several days per week.  My house in the states is leased out.  She had a job at a large company for 20+ years  but has not worked in almost 3 years.  She has been volunteering at a Girls Home every weekend on a consistent basis.  I am here on a retirement extension. Those are the major things and I am not sure if they would have any weight.

Stillakid

It would be nice to have your Thai girlfriend come visit in the US.    I guess there would be a chance with the tourist visa, but like its been said, she would need to qualify on her own merit.   I'm curious how much scrutiny and what qualifications would be required for a fiancee visa.  Another option could be a J1 visa  (au pair)....  Has anyone ever been through that process?

Since your wife got her visa, you obviously did alright with your preparations. :-) I guess I ought to think about a similar visa for my wife. She wants to meet my Mom while she's still around. There are few other reasons that would get me to choose to return to the US, and even then, hopefully as brief a stay as possible. I have zero Desire to move back.

Make sure that you bring documentation regarding her domicile in Thailand. Showing that she has the intention of returning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived