IGNORED

Thai Lottery, a Winner

Daveo

Just though I would add a few notes about one of the most popular sets of books about Thailand

They have some rave reviews on Amazon and Goodreads etc

Thai Lottery... and Other Stories from Pattaya, Thailand is a collection of twelve works by author Matt Carrell. 

Sarai wasn’t like the other go-go dancers. She knew that a few thousand pounds a year would be enough to take care of her whole family, but Sarai wasn’t dancing just to send money home every month. She had discovered that selling tickets for the illegal Thai Lottery was more dangerous than she could ever have imagined, and now she owed a great deal of money. 

Thai Lottery is the story of the lengths a girl will go to when a debt becomes a matter of life and death, and of the westerners who have bought their own tickets to a more personal lottery. They come to Thailand looking for something that's missing from their lives. Some may be lucky but for a few the result will be utter despair. 

Thai Lottery and eleven other short stories are contained in this intriguing debut work. An insightful must read, whether you're a seasoned traveler to Thailand or embarking on your first trip to the Land of Smiles.

17875436.jpg

Paul Murphy desperately wants to be a big shot but the pursuit of fortune often comes with a heavy price. For Paul, it was the life of his best friend and partner, Tommy, apparently murdered for encroaching on a local drug gang's turf. Paul, a lowly hospital porter, fearful that he'll be next, flees to Thailand to lay low while reconnecting with Tommy's supplier in Pattaya. He meets the enchanting Yim and, veering from his intended plan, starts to rebuild his life running a chain of bars. Sonthi, a local heavy, offers protection for a price and the corrupt Mongkut ensures that the police will always turn a blind eye. So many want a share of Paul's success, but when greed prevails and they get tired of sharing, it's Paul's liberty and life itself that are on the line.

images.jpg

Vortex was named as one of the top ten independently published books of 2014 by literary website BookBag. 
It was also chosen by Shelf Unbound magazine as a notable pageturner in its 2014 writing competition. 

On land or at sea the vortex is mesmerising but lethal. Andy Duncan joins an investment firm in Hong Kong and quickly discovers that the same forces apply in business. The lure of power, money and status blurs moral boundaries and for those who covet the immense rewards on offer, one illicit act can lead to another, drawing them into a spiral of deception. 
Duncan frames a junior clerk to save the career of a high-flying investment manager and is rewarded with rapid promotion. Transferred to the firm’s new Bangkok office, he is quickly embroiled in a corporate scandal and the disappearance of a beautiful teenage girl. The only way he can hang on to his career and his new lover is to trash every moral principle he ever held dear. 
Prem Boonamee’s career is also on the up. Promotion in the Thai mafia is swift for those willing to follow orders to the letter. Since his first kill he has had little compunction about doing his masters’ bidding. All that troubles him is a recurring dream, of the girl he abandoned to her fate and what would be their final bloody meeting. 
The future of the two men is inextricably linked, when the Thai underworld targets a major financial institution. Duncan appears to be able to trust only his lover and her uncle, the man likely to become the next Prime Minister of Thailand. 
Vortex offers an authentic insight into Thai culture and the intricacies of an industry that has a profound influence on the world economy. As “The Wolf of Wall Street” tops the movie charts and Thailand is on the verge of political meltdown, Vortex is a fast paced, often humorous, but generally dark take on what happens when morals and avarice collide 

51C5eOOSeiL._UY250_.jpg

In April 1981, ex-Liverpool manager Bill Shankly was interviewed by Shelley Rodhe on Granada TV. Alongside him in the studio was former Prime Minister Harold Wilson. Shankly told the audience, “Somebody said: 'Football's a matter of life and death to you.’ I said, 'Listen it's more important than that.’” 

Coldharbour Town has climbed from the lower divisions of English football, finally reaching the Premier League under the careful stewardship of local businessman, Jack Enright. After just one season, it’s clear that even survival will require more cash than Enright is willing, or able to commit. Russian billionaire, Dimitri Koloschenko sees ownership of a football club as a means of establishing himself in the London social scene. Within weeks of buying out the reluctant Enright, his commitment is tested by the realities of owning a struggling football club. 
As Coldharbour Town fights to retain its place in the top flight, a clinical killer starts to terrorise the community. Maggie Davenport leads a police investigation that appears to flounder at every turn, the local paper; under editor Toby Thomas, revels in the story of Britain’s latest serial killer and Adam Buckley is dubbed Coldharbour’s saviour and the “new Gareth Bale.” 
In a town that appears to be in terminal decline, the priority should be to catch a murderer. It is after all, a matter of life and death. But some things are more important than that. 
518mSmJXtYL._UY250_.jpg

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

We have some of these books in stock, if you come to the bookshop and cannot find, please email or PM me and I will leave at reception with your name.

Thanks for the reviews Dave.

I have read Vortex (when a freebie download was on offer on PA)

Enjoyed it a lot.  Nice twists throughout.

I will try and drop in next April and pick up one of the other books from above.

On the trail of the pink pussy
Don't sweat the petty things. Just pet the sweaty things!

TRs
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Pattaya        http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Cambodia     http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Bangkok       http://www.bangkok-a...uldoon-will-go/

Thanks for the reviews Dave.

I have read Vortex (when a freebie download was on offer on PA)

Enjoyed it a lot.  Nice twists throughout.

I will try and drop in next April and pick up one of the other books from above.

Yes all good reads, have a lot of positive feedback from guys who have read them.

Come on Matt, a few words about the books, why you wrote them ? what its like to write a book etc

Come on Matt, a few words about the books, why you wrote them ? what its like to write a book etc

Dave - thanks for featuring my books - I really appreciate it.

Thai Lottery was my first one - like you say it's around a dozen stories and ONE is based very heavily on personal experience. I'll leave it to readers to guess which one - the rest are from spending a lot of time in Thailand, talking to lots of people from expats to first time holiday makers - to bar girls - to Thai poo yais. Amazing country - no end of stories.

I worked in the investment industry for 25 years in London and I've had more fun in the last three years writing books than I did in a quarter of a century in a "proper" job. Having read lots of the stuff people post on here - a lot more of you should be having a crack at writing,  (feel free to PM me if you want to know how to get started). Chances of making money from it are slim to bugger all but it's a lot of fun.

PA members have given me amazing support since I started doing this - only wish I'd started sooner. Big thank you to everyone on here who has bought the books - taken the trouble to download the freebies - or mentioned my stuff to their friends.

When I get my first movie deal - I'll try to get them to feature Canterbury Tales in at least one scene. If West Ham keep winning and Daveo keeps bragging about it - I'll make it a drive by shooting!!!

Author of several highly acclaimed Thai based novels including Vortex, Blood Brothers... Thai Style, Thai Kiss and Thai Lottery.

Check them out on Amazon - just click the link below

Matt Carrell on Amazon

These all look very interesting, I would particularly like to read Thai Lottery. Where's about Canterbury Tales located? I am coming to Pattaya in a few days and would like to check out your shop.

Read 3 out of these four. Did not know about 'matter of life and death' will pick this up soon. Thai kiss is my favorite of his so far.

Great read guys. I dare say thai kiss was better then private dancer in my humble opinion.

Read 3 out of these four. Did not know about 'matter of life and death' will pick this up soon. Thai kiss is my favorite of his so far.

Great read guys. I dare say thai kiss was better then private dancer in my humble opinion.

Would agree that Thai Kiss was defo a good read and had that "something a little different" certainly up there with private dancer which is no easy thing!

Thai Lottery also good with the Paul Murphy story giving an "inside look" to how things work or "can work" in the Thailand nightlife game / biz which was first achieved with Stephen Leathers private dancer.

Matt Carrell writes / tells a pretty good story

How does one order these online .....Just got back from Thailand and bought a couple of books (not the same author though) ...I could like to read Thai Lottery and then possibly all of them ....

These all look very interesting, I would particularly like to read Thai Lottery. Where's about Canterbury Tales located? I

How does one order these online .....

Brett - Canterbury Tales is in Soi Chaypoom near off Soi Bhuakao near LK Metro. Great bookshop and they serve food and beer - can't go wrong.

Tingu - They're all on Amazon - not sure if you want ebook or paperback but this is the link to the paperback on the UK site, there's a similar link on all the other Amazon sites depending on what country you are in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lottery-Other-Stories-Pattaya-Thailand/dp/1495904636/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1359040718&sr=8-1

Many thanks for your interest in the books. Much appreciated.

Author of several highly acclaimed Thai based novels including Vortex, Blood Brothers... Thai Style, Thai Kiss and Thai Lottery.

Matt Carrell on Amazon

Would agree that Thai Kiss was defo a good read and had that "something a little different" certainly up there with private dancer which is no easy thing!

Lhasa, Doober - great comments, many thanks. I've read on PA that not everyone liked Private Dancer but I thought it was really good. To have one of my books put alongside it is fantastic for me. I just need about 10% of Mr Leather's book sales and I'll be a very happy man.

Thanks again.

Matt Carrell on Amazon

Thanks a lot Max.. Just purchased "Thai Lottery" from Amazon thru the link you provided.

Will post my review when I am done with reading your book.

Thanks again

Thanks a lot Max.. Just purchased "Thai Lottery" from Amazon thru the link you provided.

Will post my review when I am done with reading your book.

Thanks again

Many thanks - please let me know what you think.

Matt Carrell on Amazon

Brett - Canterbury Tales is in Soi Chaypoom near off Soi Bhuakao near LK Metro. Great bookshop and they serve food and beer - can't go wrong.

Tingu - They're all on Amazon - not sure if you want ebook or paperback but this is the link to the paperback on the UK site, there's a similar link on all the other Amazon sites depending on what country you are in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lottery-Other-Stories-Pattaya-Thailand/dp/1495904636/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1359040718&sr=8-1

Many thanks for your interest in the books. Much appreciated.

Thanks for your reply, I am headed back to Patts next week so I will be sure to check out the shop and grab a copy of your book. Cheers Matt

Thanks for your reply, I am headed back to Patts next week so I will be sure to check out the shop and grab a copy of your book. Cheers Matt

Thanks Brett - Thai Lottery is short stories - Thai Kiss is a novel (both around the bar scene) and Dave may still have some copies of another novel called Vortex (that's more of in the thriller genre but still based in Thailand).

Matt Carrell on Amazon

Dave - thanks for featuring my books - I really appreciate it.

Thai Lottery was my first one - like you say it's around a dozen stories and ONE is based very heavily on personal experience. I'll leave it to readers to guess which one - the rest are from spending a lot of time in Thailand, talking to lots of people from expats to first time holiday makers - to bar girls - to Thai poo yais. Amazing country - no end of stories.

I worked in the investment industry for 25 years in London and I've had more fun in the last three years writing books than I did in a quarter of a century in a "proper" job. Having read lots of the stuff people post on here - a lot more of you should be having a crack at writing,  (feel free to PM me if you want to know how to get started). Chances of making money from it are slim to bugger all but it's a lot of fun.

PA members have given me amazing support since I started doing this - only wish I'd started sooner. Big thank you to everyone on here who has bought the books - taken the trouble to download the freebies - or mentioned my stuff to their friends.

When I get my first movie deal - I'll try to get them to feature Canterbury Tales in at least one scene. If West Ham keep winning and Daveo keeps bragging about it - I'll make it a drive by shooting!!!

Never mind that I hopefully will be in it as a swashbuckling womanizer that I am, I can do all sorts of caractors and accents, ee-oop-laddy, see thats my Yokshire, ya neva naa, my Geordie etc etc. A man of many talents.

Never mind that I hopefully will be in it as a swashbuckling womanizer that I am, I can do all sorts of caractors and accents, ee-oop-laddy, see thats my Yokshire, ya neva naa, my Geordie etc etc. A man of many talents.

Dave,

Based on that - I have a new plan. I'll fund the movie and you can play ALL the characters. Alistair Sim did it all those years ago - this could be your big break.... Might have to shave your legs for your role as a delectable teenage gogo dancer from Isaan.

Matt Carrell on Amazon

Dave,

Based on that - I have a new plan. I'll fund the movie and you can play ALL the characters. Alistair Sim did it all those years ago - this could be your big break.... Might have to shave your legs for your role as a delectable teenage gogo dancer from Isaan.

I think we will need a stand in for the go go dancer, I know just the guy, and for any stunts we can get Jason statham as as we have that same gritty sexy-ness about us both, I was at first thinking of Ken Dodd but aparently he has limitted vocabulary, what do you think.

I think we will need a stand in for the go go dancer, I know just the guy, and for any stunts we can get Jason statham as as we have that same gritty sexy-ness about us both, I was at first thinking of Ken Dodd but aparently he has limitted vocabulary, what do you think.

I think you've stopped taking your medication - or your taking the wrong stuff.........

Matt Carrell on Amazon

Hi Matt,

Everyone who is talking about your books are praising them, which makes me want to read them, is there anything in pipeline for selling them on iBooks.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Matt,

Everyone who is talking about your books are praising them, which makes me want to read them, is there anything in pipeline for selling them on iBooks.

Cheers,

Andy.

Andy - unfortunately I don't get to choose where they get sold. that's down to the publisher. I've got two different ones (for different books) and they both say that Amazon is the only way to go - 95% of books get sold there. If I was JK Rowling they's do I-books because the other 5% would be a lot of books. In my case - not so much!  They reckon if someone has Apple - rthey can download the Kindle App and then get the book from Amazon - or pick up a paperback. Sorry that's not much help but it's what I'm told.

Matt Carrell on Amazon

Andy - unfortunately I don't get to choose where they get sold. that's down to the publisher. I've got two different ones (for different books) and they both say that Amazon is the only way to go - 95% of books get sold there. If I was JK Rowling they's do I-books because the other 5% would be a lot of books. In my case - not so much!  They reckon if someone has Apple - rthey can download the Kindle App and then get the book from Amazon - or pick up a paperback. Sorry that's not much help but it's what I'm told.

I've checked out the kindle app and downloaded it onto my iPad, thanks for your help, muchly appreciated.

I've checked out the kindle app and downloaded it onto my iPad, thanks for your help, muchly appreciated.

Thanks Andy - if you get the books I hope you'll tell me what you think.

Matt Carrell on Amazon

Archived