IGNORED

Mandatory registration of SIM cards in Thailand

Bernie Num Nums

You can never take back ......
  • A moment after it's missed
  • A word after it's said
  • Time after it's been wasted

This isn't the first time it's happened. I seem to recall they requested information on purchase of SIM cards some years back. Didn't last long at all that time.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Unless you are doing something illegal, I can not see it being a big problem, an extra 5 mins of your time!  

There will be plenty of Moto's and BG that will buy one for you if you don't want to be identified!

'The new rules come into effect on February the 1st, after which users will have 6 months to provide their personal details (name, ID, and of course the phone number in question) after which they will not be able to use their SIM'...

So for the average traveller, we have 6 months to register or lose the number. No change for the great majority of us..

Tourists who come to Thailand for a holiday and purchase a prepaid SIM card will simply need to show ID at the point of purchase in order to qualify as ‘registered’. This means a passport (valid for at least 6 months, which it should be anyway if you just travelled here) in order to register your SIM card.

So no problem for the majority of us.

So no problem for the majority of us.

Will the 7 - 11 clerks be entering your passport information into a data bank when you make the purchase?

• 4 months later...

Can anyone tell me where to go to register my SIM and what to take? I know there is a thread with details somewhere but it's hard to find on the phone.

If you are with DTAC like I am and won't be back before the rgustration deadline you can do it from overseas.

Dear customer,

Please kindly be informed to register your prepaid number by sending the following documents to e-mail address

[email protected]:

(1) Place the documents on empty paper and state the following details:-

(2) The registered mobile number

(3) Passport , SIM card showing the serial number 8966 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(4) Write down the remark on paper clearly and certified by your signature

“I hereby certify that I am the possessor/user of the number specified above in this application.  In case of any objection 
relating to the title over the number, or it is believable that the number has been acquired illegally.  I hereby agree that 
the company may investigate and cancel this telephone number immediately, as well as may transfer the right over the 
number to other person without any further consent or notification in advance whatsoever.  The company shall be released 
from any civil or criminal responsibility”

Once your documents are received, the registration team will complete the SIM registration for you. You will also be

notified when the process is successful.

Please feel free to contact us if there is anything else we can do for you. Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Best Regards,

Ms. Sureerat Chaiming

Customer Service

Thanks grogmonster, but I am actually on the ground now, so I can do it in person.

Can anyone tell me where to go to register my SIM and what to take? I know there is a thread with details somewhere but it's hard to find on the phone.

Your best bet is probably Central Festival on the 3rd floor as I saw they had all of the mobile companies there. I'm not sure what mobile company you use but I was asked to provide my original passport for them at the Dtac center. They took a picture of my passport along with my current visa and entered it into their data so I'm not sure if you're comfortable with that as alot of expats just had a girl register it using their Thai ID's with a tip afterwards.

If you can't find your mobile company at Central, then I've been told that Tukcom and Big C center have mobile phone shops where they can register for you as well. Those 3 places are the main areas where it's your best shot to register your sim though I've been told that 7/11's can do that as well but probably more hassle then it's worth doing it there.

1,2 call use Telewiz as their agents for lots of official things and they have branches in most popular centres including all Big C's. Tukcom, Central Festival etc.  Easy to find one when you are wondering around one day.

Your best bet is probably Central Festival on the 3rd floor as I saw they had all of the mobile companies there. I'm not sure what mobile company you use but I was asked to provide my original passport for them at the Dtac center. They took a picture of my passport along with my current visa and entered it into their data so I'm not sure if you're comfortable with that as alot of expats just had a girl register it using their Thai ID's with a tip afterwards.

If you can't find your mobile company at Central, then I've been told that Tukcom and Big C center have mobile phone shops where they can register for you as well. Those 3 places are the main areas where it's your best shot to register your sim though I've been told that 7/11's can do that as well but probably more hassle then it's worth doing it there.

Thank you. That is excellent advice

I have an unopened True sim card given to one of my customers at the airport last night if anyone would like it PM me and can be picked up at Babydolls

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

My passport is currently in the Vietnamese embassy for visa purposes, I'd never needed it for sim card purchases but this time I got knocked back at no less than 6 stores. 711, true and the dtac centre in MBK. Got a copy of my passport from the hotel, took that into 711 and I kid you not the girl took out her own phone, took a photo of my passport copy and the sim, and the deal was done.

Had to laugh but at the same time also a bit concerning to think that passport details are being kept in this way.

Following the advice on this thread, I went to Dtac Hall on level 3, Central Festival and got registration sorted in 2 minutes. I am with Happy. Free service, take passport.

20150612_164252.jpg

Good work Sinbad will need to get mine done later this month to be on the safe side. Off the record I cannot see this actually "happening" and literally millions of Sims cut off for Thais, not the 100,000 or so Farang owned numbers who will probably shrug their shoulders anyway and obtain a new Sim.

I dont know one single Farang in my group of 50-60 Guys who doesn't use Line for Voice and Chat when actually in Thailand. Just looked at my Smartphone I use in Thailand only and last text was April 2014 to a Thai or Farang

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know if sims can be registered after the cut off date? I'm not back until Sept and just curious if i can register mine then or if it will too late.

Mine expired the day I flew out. I never got the chance to register it but it wasn't a internet friendly sim. Gonna buyba cheap smart phone and get a new sim.

Anybody know any good companies for internet sims gor someone that is only there twice and has 7 month gap between trips?

Anybody know any good companies for internet sims gor someone that is only there twice and has 7 month gap between trips?

Dtac is much better than AIS on this point. Easy and cheap to load up credit with expiry date 6 months or more.

When you return to Thailand, get a new DTAC SIM at Suvarnabhumi.

You can refill/topup and extend validity of your DTAC SIM worldwide online via credit/debit card now, if you want to keep and use the same number.

http://store.dtac.co.th/en/happytouristsim#responsive-tabs4

Archived