Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

Sign in to follow this  
Skins

Help Me Plan My Trip To The Philippines

Skins

What's up Guys!

I've been traveling around south east Asia for the past few years. Next stop is the Philippines! Just trying to plan out my itinerary now.

So far I will be visiting Cebu City, Davao, Boracay and Palawan.

Anything I should add? How about some smaller cities such as Dumaguete or Bacolod? Puerto Galera?

No time limit. I prefer to travel slow. I'd like to see the highlights at my own pace and then settle somewhere for a few months.

I like the beach but need some action too. Anything outside of my list that I MUST see? Thanks!

Lwn320

All good places to visit but for some real action the obvious place to visit is Angeles City. There are plenty of posts on here regarding this fun city. I am sure you will have a great time. If you need more information ask on here one of our members will know or get onto Philippine Addicts.

THAJEC

It would not be a greater chance of correctly matching and expected answer for you question on the Philippines addicts forum:WhoSaw1:

Skins

Haha yes I should go join that forum. Just figured I'd ask here seeing that there was a Philippines section.

I read that Angeles is a complete shit hole with some GoGo Bars. I was actually going to skip it seeing that I can indulge in the naughty nightlife in places such as Cebu City. Maybe I will add Angeles to the list. Might as well see it all and decide for myself!

Edited by Skins

Macawber

Haha yes I should go join that forum. Just figured I'd ask here seeing that there was a Philippines section.

I read that Angeles is a complete shit hole with some GoGo Bars. I was actually going to skip it seeing that I can indulge in the naughty nightlife in places such as Cebu City. Maybe I will add Angeles to the list. Might as well see it all and decide for myself!

For general mongering AC is a much better option for a first time visitor. Cebu is a different beast so do your research to make the most of your time there.

newbiker

I will add my 10 cents since I have been in all these locations first of all cebu is a city so you may consider going a couple of days outside of it to visit a resort and beach when there inside cebu city you can also make a day excursion to a resort on mactan and pay a fee for staying there overday but more remote places like malapascua or visit to bohol wtih ferry from cebu may be better.

In davao you can take a daytrip to the pearl farm to see the beach and resort there, you have to bring company if you like to. Davao has limited night life but it exists. In spite of this I like the city but it doesnt stand out, I guess if youdont like it or get bored you can cut your trip short and simply fly onwards to next desitnation or look on surigao or some other lace and then continue from there.

Boracay is crowded exploited and has some night life when going there you can also consider flying in to a place like iloilo, experience a second tier city like that for a day or so and take (hire yourself)  a van with driver  and travel over land one day to boracay to see the countryside. In dingle is a stopover with caves with miliions of bats, hard to find tough. When you fly in and out note that there are two airports for borcay and only one is close the other has a long bus transfer to boracay.

Palawan is fantastic or more specifically El Nido north of the island an alternative is to fly more expensively with the direct propeller flight from manila to the el nido resorts. The beauty of el nido is astounding but no or very limited  party there. I havent seen puerto princesa so cant speak of that area.

If you dont reach angeles you can chkck out the waterholes in Manila, I assume you fly in out from there anyway, I would try staying in Makati and visit burgos street it gives some idea of what it is like. There is only one Angeles and Cebu doesnt really have anything similar, maybe you should take a look.

BigHairyPig

I read that Angeles is a complete shit hole with some GoGo Bars.

Not sure where you read that, but the author has his head up his arse. It's not Vegas, but for partying you'll get some serious bang for your buck.

BHP

Pick one or two places for the first trip.

Maybe start with Angeles and Subic.  However, you're not really going to get the feel of true Philippines in these two places.

Your first trip sounds overly ambitious.  It takes time to travel to all of these places and I suggest fewer places and more time to enjoy each, especially for the first trip.

I'm currently in Cebu at the moment and enjoying it here.

This is my fourth trip to the Philippines.  I've been to Pampangas (Where Angeles City is), Zambales (Subic Bay), Makati, and now Cebu.  I am very much into the cultural arts and while I do enjoy Makati, the Central Business District, I do hope to sometime catch the Philippines Ballet and Ballet Manila when it's in season.

You're really not going to get a lot of decent PI info here.

Try the Phillipine-Addicts and [email protected] forums.

I will add my 10 cents since I have been in all these locations first of all cebu is a city so you may consider going a couple of days outside of it to visit a resort and beach when there inside cebu city you can also make a day excursion to a resort on mactan and pay a fee for staying there overday but more remote places like malapascua or visit to bohol wtih ferry from cebu may be better.

I'm currently in Cebu and will be here until Sunday, when I head back to Makati for one night, then Pattaya for a couple of weeks.

I'm staying at the Lex Cebu and I've enjoyed yesterday exploring the Ayala Mall and Mango Street at night.  

It's been raining a lot, but assuming it subsides, I'd like to visit the Taoist Temple in Beverly Hills and some of the nice waterfalls and beaches.

Any suggestions on day trips, places to go, sites to see while I'm here?

This is my fourth trip to the Philippines, but my first visit to the Visayas region.

Malapascua - That's not too far away, just the next city over.

Bohol - Yes, that's just North of the Leyte Province on the island to the east.  Why visit Bohol?  What's there?

Edited by ruay

There's not really a Philippines section.  It's more like a feed of the posts from the sister forum, Philippine-Addicts.  If you click on the "View Article" link at the bottom, the post, comments, replies, and discussion are on the other forum, for which you'll need to create a second account.

I travel to both places and Pattaya-Addicts is not an ideal place to discuss Philippine-specific topics.  [email protected] is also a decent forum for the nightlife, etc.

While Cebu City has a relatively decent nightlife, it's not as compacted and as straight-forward as Angeles.  You'll benefit more from Cebu once you've experienced the ins and outs of AC and Subic before coming to Cebu.  High Society at Angeles is an Insomnia-like dance club.  While Cebu does have a freelancer scene and such, more and more of it is oriented towards Koreans.

I suggest getting some experience in Angeles and Subic if you're primarily into the mongering scene.  Makati is third, and while I do enjoy Makati from time to time, expect to pay 1.5 to 2.0 times more than AC.  Makati can be a fun place one you know the ins and outs, I have detailed post on the Philippine forums regarding Makati mongering.

Edited by ruay

Skins

Thanks guys! Some helpful info here. I will check out Philippines Addicts as well. God willing, I will be back giving you my full report in a few months. Cheers!

kantutero

Made well over 100 trips to PI over last 20 years and to more diverse places than 99% of the members on the other board. I no longer read or post there because the cult of Catholicsm prevents any criticism of the Church which is sancrosanct (Chris if you are reading this I am sorry for bolting your board after the PhillySteak incident but it IS the truth). Search my posts there for loads of info on great beaches where the masses never tread. 

It is a good board, as is Piatnight.com, for mongering info. On PIat night there is a great thread on less known beaches. You'll need to make 50 quality posts to get access to advanced area where the good info is, however, and given time constraints it is unlikely you'll be promoted in time.  Philaddicts will promote based on status here; just PM TequillaReef (he is on this board as well and spends lots of time in Thailand too) ; just saw you are member+ here meaning not yet promoted despite having 50 posts; suggest you post info on Viet Nam to accelerate promotion. Takers who dont give back dont deserve promotion and having 60+ posts without promotion suggests that.  But I will help you anyway because it is my nature to help. 

I think your list, except Boracay which I'd skip, is spot on. For hard core mongering yes AC stands alone. Yes it is a complete shithole and attracts more than its fair share of social outcasts and misfits. 

For point and click you can't beat it. Subic is like a mimi AC, friendlier and with a toilet bowl full of mediocre beaches. There are no World class beaches in Central Luzon, at far North and far South yes, but they require some effort to reach. 

Regarding Negros, about which you asked, Dumaguette is a university town with SOME nightlife but no gogos. It has one pickup spot, what's Up, but is very hit or miss. There are freelancers by the port at night. Bacolod is better in that regard. The Goldenfields bar complex in particular. 

Depending on how adventurous you are, could give some other ideas. And you need to clarify if you want gogo bars or want to meet semi pros. If the later then the entire country is waiting for you. Cebu hosts the Sinulog festival later this month meaning big crowds and high prices on hotels, but will be great fun. BUT BOOK NOW!

Do you like places that are geared for foreigners or are you more adventurous?  UNLIKE in Thailand and Viet Nam, you CAN do well in remote areas just with English. If so, I suggest the Discolandia brothel district of Laoag in Illocos Norte at far North end of Luzon. You will be the only foreigner, there is not all the fancy neon lit places like in AC, and it is not quite as cheap. But as a foreigner you'll be  a rock star rather than just another foreign sex tourist. 90 minutes drive past there is the best road accessible beach on Luzon. The real name is Maira Ira, but it is known as the blue lagoon. Google it and you'll see why. 

Edited by kantutero