IGNORED

How advantageous is it learn thai

dontsaveher

Learning thai language at least you know daily basic words to talk to local people

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Respect their culture" by being able to speak a few tourists phrases... Well I've read that before on the board. In my experience, some girls likes when I speak my very limited thai and act as if they are very impressed, especially if they don't speak any English. Other girls don't, and asks me to speak English and don't want me to speak any Thai. I think that is a tiny bit annoying, because I actually don't like to speak English (my oral English sucks), and it's not my language either. They perhaps think English is every farang's language. They don't give me a chance to practice Thai, and they implicit say to me "your Thai sucks, just give it up".

Girls like that you should pay back in even coin, after the deed tell em that boom boom was ok, but the smoking was not very good.... ;)

• 2 months later...

As someone rightly said you really don't need it in the tourist areas. Most will understand simple English and sign-language. But if you can speak to the natives in Thai they tend to respond more warmly.

100% difference speaking Thai with a thai.   Same for every country in the world methinks

• 2 years later...
On 24/08/2016 at 21:36, strangertnt said:

But if you can speak to the natives in Thai they tend to respond more warmly.

One lady was being apologetic about having small tits, and gave me a big happy smile when I said "lek dii gwaa"  (small is nicer/better)

Actually,  everyone I met seemed to be pleased when I tried to speak thai.  One of the girls even tried to teach me some Isaan, but I didn't manage to remember it.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/12/2014 at 03:08, glenman said:

Five point plan for learning Thai for Pattaya.

1 - Learn Thai.

2 - Do not tell girls you can speak Thai.

3 - Sit in bar and listen to girls talking about what they really think of you.

4 - Go back to room alone.

5 - Cry yourself to sleep.

:WinkGrin1:

i have a funny story about knowing and understanding thai but pretended that i dont, last year i was in in Liverpool and i went to a thai massage, this thai lady is giving me a massage, shes about 40-45 years old, she was complaining to the girl on the other-side of the room saying that its very hard massaging this guy( as i am a very person) and bla bla blah. In the end she asks me if i wanted a happy ending , i turned round to her and said "mai pen rai kub" which means no thanks in thai, should see the looks on her face. hahahahaha 

On 29/01/2015 at 06:14, Douchebag said:

There are a number of language schools, and I have tried none of them (yet). Bangkok has better reputation of hosting good language school, but a decent school is better than nothing if you want to learn. You can visit and try a school before you commit to a program. A program can be anything from 10 hours up to 180 hours, perhaps more too. Private lessons gives more flexible schedule, but are more expensive than group classes. In addition to the language schools, there is a free language café every Wednesday. http://anchorcoworking.com/en/events/polyglot-club.html

A.U.A Pattaya
Location : 4th floor, Central Festival Pattaya Beach, M9, Banglamung, Chonburi 20260 

ABS Intl. Language and Computer School
Rungland Villa, 193/186-187 South Pattaya Rd., Chonburi; Tel: 038-428-980, 081-929-8959; Fax: 038-426-570

BEC Language and Thai Culture School
Location : 571/1 Moo 5, Phatthaya-Naklua Rd., Pattaya City, Chonburi 20150

CTA-Certified Translation Pattaya
Location : 202/88 Moo 9, Paniadchang Soi 10, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150

CLC Crystal Language Center
75/220 Soi 7, Jomtien Beach Rd., Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20260; Tel: 038-757-315, 089-605-2052

CTLS Language School
Location : 202/236 Moo 9, Central Pattaya Rd., Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20260
Contact : Tel: 0 3841 6891, 0 3841 6892; Website: www.tlslanguageschool.com

Easy ABC Language School
Location Jomtien : 575/1-2 Moo 5, Naklua Rd., 
Location Naklua: 391/127 Moo 10, Thappraya Soi 11, Thappraya Rd., Tel: 038-251-952, 089-881-9873 Contact : Tel: 0 3822 6119, 08 9881 9873; 

EasiLearn on Soi Buakow

Langue de vous
Pattaya Center Condo - 1st Fl., 3/7 Moo 10, South Pattaya Rd., Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150; Tel: 038-415-522,
081-429-0542; Fax: 038-723-850

Jomtien Language School

J & P Language Center
193/160 Moo 10, South Pattaya Rd., Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20260; Tel: 038-420-096, 086-111-4483; Fax: 038-420-096

LC International Languages and Computer School
Location : 382/16-17 Soi 6/1, Pattaya 2nd Rd., (opposite Bangkok Bank), Pattaya City Chonburi 20260

Pattaya Education and Computer School (P.E.C. School)
279/228 Jomtien Beach Rd., Pattaya City, Chonburi 20150; Tel/Fax: 038-236-187;

Pattaya School of Languages and Computers (PLC)
Location : 194/10-11 Moo 9, Central Pattaya Rd., Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20260

Pattaya tutor school (3P Academy)
171/5 Sukhumvit Rd., South Pattaya, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20260; Tel: 038-421-404, 089-621-8220;
Fax: 038-421-404;

Progress Language School
Location : 209/86-87 Moo 6, North Pattaya Rd., Naklua, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150

Pro Language School
Location : 116/33 Moo 9, Central Pattaya Rd., Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150

Siam Sunrise

Thankful Knowledge Learning Center :
Soi LK Pavilion, South Pattaya Rd., Chonguri; Tel: 038-724-239, 038-723-324, 087-141-2783;

Walen School
Location : 194/74-75 Soi Paniad Chang, Moo 9, Central Pattaya Rd., Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20260

Thanks. I'm going to Walen on Monday for a free trial class to see if I like it. Yesterday heard not so good reviews about.

Think I'll go check out AUA as well. I have a friend from the USA who works there teaching English. Another friend this morning goes there and says it a good choice.

If you learn Thai there are some advantages:

-The vast majority of Thai women are not working in the industry. They will show a lot of interest in a Thai speaking farang, because talking to someone in their own language is less scary. You won't have any competition for these girls, because barely any farang can speak Thai. 

-If you go out you can actually have a decent conversation. Far more interesting, you will understand the girls and the culture far better. Once you cross that bridge, you barely can imagine how Pattaya was fun with conversations in broken English. Even girls in the industry, really just want to be able to talk with someone in their own language.  Especially farm fresh ones, who are, in my experience, the best girls to take out. Some guys will argue that the girls don't want a customer that speak Thai, but most of the girls will say this to make the customer feel better about not being able to talk Thai. A minority of the girls (mostly hardened) say they genuinely want a customer as ignorant as possible.  

It is sooo much fun.You can listen to all those lovely Thai conversations in the bar. Sometimes you hear them talking about their Thai boyfriend (in Thai) with a friend and a minute later you hear 'I NOT LIKE THAI MEN' :)  So much fun. 

-Your respect from Thai people will greatly increase

-You will not get ripped off as often, just state in Thai your price, and they will accept it far more easily.

If you like learning a language, go for it! 

"Why are farangs so stupid?" she asked and I had no answer to that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/11/2018 at 14:39, Rocketboy said:

Think I'll go check out AUA as well. I have a friend from the USA who works there teaching English. Another friend this morning goes there and says it a good choice.

The Pattaya branch of AUA is now closed.

In general - it is respectful to have at least a few phrases in your command that you can speak in Thai. The usual stuff like in any language.

Thank you

Excuse me

You are welcome

Bring the check

Hello

People in any culture appreciate that you are making an effort.

Learning a bunch of Thai vocabulary from English like representation of Thai script may well hurt more than help. The tonal languages of Southeast Asia are inherently different than the Latin based ones of Europe. English like representations of Thai are an art form not a science.

One needs to listen a lot and then be coached conversationally. This requires a patient teacher and an attentive listener.

I watched a few YouTube videos on Thai language, remembered a few words here and there, then pretty well abandoned it afterwards. 

Hello, how are you, excuse me...  doesn't get you that far.  Any real conversation would take a long time to master.  I have a hard enough time deciphering English from some of the Farangs I meet in LOS. 

Thai people know more English than you give them credit for, English music dominates in every bar I've been to.

If you're Serious about learning Thai even casually, the talking Thai English phrasebook app by Paiboon is a Must Have. Not cheap at $30 Aud but works offline & Massive amount of content

I don't think it is all that necessary.  Maybe learn to count to 1000 so you don't get ripped off.

More than one working girl said they don't like it when your fluent because it means you come Thailan butterfry too mott and you might have HIV which lessens your chances of a skinless encounter.  No shit, I'm not making that up. 555!

Archived