IGNORED

How advantageous is it learn thai

dontsaveher

I know this sounds weird but i ask because my trip us about 6 weeks from now. I am somewhat linguistically inclined. But coming from japan many scenarios of speaking the native tongue works against you. Maybe thailand is a different fish all together but i figured in 6 weeks i could get a basic understanding... btw this would be trip #1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are staying in the tourist areas, no advantage to learning Thai.  If you plan to up country, it can be helpful, but each region has a dialect.  I've seen Thais from the south who have trouble speaking with Thais from the North.

I've found the little Thai I know generally isn't understood. Because of the accent. Girls who hear us butcher the language regularly understand, but girls new to town have no idea what I'm saying.  My ex wife hated it when I spoke Thai. She said is was hard to tell if I was speaking slang English or butchered Thai.

If you've got time and want to study up, go ahead but you won;t have a better trip because of it.

If you are on a short touristy/monger trip just learn enough for the occasional banter & some laughs.

................................................................................................................

As someone who made no effort at all to learn Thai before or during my 6 months stay - you don't need it. Speaking English, smiling and being polite will get you by just fine.

Five point plan for learning Thai for Pattaya.

1 - Learn Thai.

2 - Do not tell girls you can speak Thai.

3 - Sit in bar and listen to girls talking about what they really think of you.

4 - Go back to room alone.

5 - Cry yourself to sleep.

:WinkGrin1:

Definitely an advantage to learn some Thai basics, numbers, etc, the Thai's dont speak bad of us generally unless we are acting stupid, respect them and they will you.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Learning Thai is great, it means you can speak the same language as them. In all honesty though It would probably take you a couple of years of part time learning to get any good at it so it all depends on how long you plan on spending there? If it's just for holidays then I'd only bother learning if it's something you enjoy for it's own sake.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Thanks! All good advice... looks like a simple phrase book should do the trick

If you are going to learn just one phrase then 

Mai Ow Khrap = No Want Thanks

In Khmer it's Awt Tay Aw Koon

You forgot

Pom mai boom boom toot

You forgot

Pom mai boom boom toot

boom boom toot mai

mai as in question comes in the end

................................................................................................................

The more/longer you are in Thailand, the more Thai you should learn. For only a short few weeks holiday, the basic phrases like hello and thank you, is enough. Not absolutely neccessary, but still nice to know.

Two things you should know:

bi ni   - means:  "where are you going?"    It's the #1 pickup line in Pattaya.    Girls will say it to you as you walk by.    If you tell them where you're going they will often respond "I go with you" (or bi duay) and if you say yes you've suddenly got a date.     I even used this line to pick up a lovely girl walking along the street who became my girl friend for two years.   

The word  'mai' spoken with a rising tone and at the end of a phase is how you make a question.   So rather than ask you  "do you want a drink?"  they often shorten it to   "drink mai" and that can be confusing if you have no idea that mai means.

If you are staying in the tourist areas, no advantage to learning Thai.  If you plan to up country, it can be helpful, but each region has a dialect.  I've seen Thais from the south who have trouble speaking with Thais from the North.

I've found the little Thai I know generally isn't understood. Because of the accent. Girls who hear us butcher the language regularly understand, but girls new to town have no idea what I'm saying.  My ex wife hated it when I spoke Thai. She said is was hard to tell if I was speaking slang English or butchered Thai.

If you've got time and want to study up, go ahead but you won;t have a better trip because of it.

This guys right if your your learning a few bits of Thai  then forget it, you have to learn it seriously. The times I've said Thai to a Thai and they've given me a blank look is unbelievable, having said that they will always help you if you do try and speak their language.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

Thanks! All good advice... looks like a simple phrase book should do the trick

Excellent idea.  I still have my very first phrase book.  It's worn and tattered.  Generally only use it when I go up country.  Helpfull for your first trip though. Even if you can't speak it, you can point to the word in your book.

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent idea.  I still have my very first phrase book.  It's worn and tattered.  Generally only use it when I go up country.  Helpfull for your first trip though. Even if you can't speak it, you can point to the word in your book.

Agree with just getting a phrase book.  If you are only there for a short stay there is no reason to take lessons, everyone in the major tourist areas speaks sufficient English that you will have no problem.  The phrasebook can provide some basic words, phrases that you can practice with staff at the bars and restaurants.

Apart from a few little 2 word sentences and short phrases, learning thai gives you no advantage as a tourist. I know many guys that have lived here for many years and still dont speak much at all apart from "no thanks, yes please" etc. It is an individual preference wether you want to learn for yourself to understand the chatter and impress the girls with your cunning linguistic skills.

If you are coming here to live and work it is probably best to learn so that you can give specific directions to taxi drivers, read and understand contracts/paperwork and be able to communicate effectively with Thai co workers. Again, not completely necessary, but an individual choice.

Apart from a few little 2 word sentences and short phrases, learning thai gives you no advantage as a tourist. I know many guys that have lived here for many years and still dont speak much at all apart from "no thanks, yes please" etc. It is an individual preference wether you want to learn for yourself to understand the chatter and impress the girls with your cunning linguistic skills.

If you are coming here to live and work it is probably best to learn so that you can give specific directions to taxi drivers, read and understand contracts/paperwork and be able to communicate effectively with Thai co workers. Again, not completely necessary, but an individual choice of how much you want to understand.

:Think1: Brother you can't go to jail for what you're thinking! :Think1: 

Apart from a few little 2 word sentences and short phrases, learning thai gives you no advantage as a tourist.

Even as a tourist, knowing how to ask directions, order from a menu, etc. would be an advantage.  The issue is whether it is worth the time and effort to learn the language to that level for only short trips.

hmmm... go to Si Racha and all you need to speak is Japanese! That's what the girls study and that's what they want to practice too. It's ok if you're fluent in Thai but their English communication skills are minimal.

quite an easy question to answer.

If you live or plan to live in Thailand then its a good idea to learn basic / advanced thai

If you live outside of Thailand - don't bother.

quite an easy question to answer.

If you live or plan to live in Thailand then its a good idea to learn basic / advanced thai

If you live outside of Thailand - don't bother.

Correct.

Did you decide to leave your comment until the 20th post or just jump in now ?.

My My My My My This will be lost on many Ha Ha .

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

Learn English first. How advantageous is is TO learn Thai? Not meaning to flame. Just saying...

Learn English first. How advantageous is is TO learn Thai? Not meaning to flame. Just saying...

is is?

Great example of Muphry's Law! :GoldenSmile1:

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

Stupid phone! Sorry about the typo.

Archived