IGNORED

Buying a car

PattayaPpe

Even though I am only here 2 to 3 months a year I want to buy a car and keep it at my condo. When I was younger I was really big into done up vip cars like the big lexus ls400 so I was thinking about buying one over there and modifying it.. Maybe only cost me 150k to pick up the car.. It will also be good to start seeing Thailand when I am there and maybe party a teeny bit less.

What's the ins and outs of buying a car.. And no I won't be doing happy laps of Soi 6

Even though I am only here 2 to 3 months a year I want to buy a car and keep it at my condo. When I was younger I was really big into done up vip cars like the big lexus ls400 so I was thinking about buying one over there and modifying it.. Maybe only cost me 150k to pick up the car.. It will also be good to start seeing Thailand when I am there and maybe party a teeny bit less.

What's the ins and outs of buying a car.. And no I won't be doing happy laps of soi 6

personaly i would not buy any thing less than new motor with good warranty, 150k will buy you a bottomles $$$ repair pitt, a new car will hold high value 6/7/8 years! with service record.

Like other posters why buy a car for such a short time per year ?  The problems you will have is that on your return the tyres may well have become deflated.  Standing for a long time without moving will degrade the tyre.  Even covered over the dirt and bugs will get in some how.

I would suggest you make enquiries to the likes of AVIS etc as they do some good deals on long term hire ( more than 30 days) and then you have no worries.

A lexus for 150K baht. Not a change unless it is two different cars welded together and 20 years old.

150k Aussie dollars and you are starting to get close.

150k THB you should buy two good Scooters.

Second hand imported cars sell for crazy money in Thailand even if they're 20 years old or more . 

2/3 months a year ? Rent something nice , lot cheaper and no worries .  

I'm only saying 150k baht because the old 1990 ls400 in Australia are that much. Actually the ls win the most reliable car in the world 15 years in a row so that's why I choose that car.. So if I was intent on buying one is there any advice someone can give me...

Talk to the guy next to Heavenly body massage when you get here he has a lot of old stuff I see in the window of his shop but 150k won't get you that car unless maybe it's rusting out and no engine and you have to rebuild the car.I would just rent.

I'm only saying 150k baht because the old 1990 ls400 in Australia are that much. Actually the ls win the most reliable car in the world 15 years in a row so that's why I choose that car.. So if I was intent on buying one is there any advice someone can give me...

Triple your budget.

Yea, I'd just rent as well, and purchase all full insurance if you really needed a car for whatever reason. 

Another 'bright' idea that will never happen.

How are the tea sales going?   :SoWhat1: 

Guys,

I am about to purchase this fine unit and put my girlfriend to work. 120k baht and basically cheap / free to operate. I was told Thakasit is only 500b a month. It is in bangkok now but I want to relocate it to either pattaya/jomtien or roi et.

ildhsl.jpg

Any suggestions?

Rent as already stated is the way to go for such short durations.

- new car each time or could change something different each time depending on your mood of car.

- new car or nearly new

- maintenance no issue

- depreciation value no issue

- Headache free!

Or if you want to get modified done up super mobile that will be sure to be a head turner, get one of these bad boys:

Reliant_Robin_1973_600_lq_0001.jpg

Posted Image
X.

OP, perhaps you aren't aware of this but cars here in Thailand depreciate far less than our cars in the west.

The UK's pretty much the same as oz, you can buy a big 10 year old luxury saloon for virtually peanuts, and yes, like you said, buying these cars 2nd hand you get a lot of car for your money...but not here mate.

To give you an example 2 years ago I sold a 2002 Meec s500 limo in the UK for £3,500, the going rate. I saw the same age and model for sale on Bangkok 2 weeks later for 2 million baht. That's £40,000!!!

Like others have said, rent a car for the time you're here. Costed over a year it's far better value than paying for it to sit somewhere.

OP, perhaps you aren't aware of this but cars here in Thailand depreciate far less than our cars in the west.

The UK's pretty much the same as oz, you can buy a big 10 year old luxury saloon for virtually peanuts, and yes, like you said, buying these cars 2nd hand you get a lot of car for your money...but not here mate.

To give you an example 2 years ago I sold a 2002 Meec s500 limo in the UK for £3,500, the going rate. I saw the same age and model for sale on Bangkok 2 weeks later for 2 million baht. That's £40,000!!!

Like others have said, rent a car for the time you're here. Costed over a year it's far better value than paying for it to sit somewhere.

That price differential does not make sense. If that is the case why is everyone not importing cars from UK to Thailand to sell. I can imagine them been slighter higher but not by that amount? Have not looked before so have no idea on their prices in Thailand. I know those in the older category, even for luxury ones, they are virtually trying to give them away in UK.

I know one Hong Kong guy doing that lives in UK and has clients in Hongkong that he ships to - his comment was that in Hong Kong prices were much higher so his clients buy as still works out cheaper.

Posted Image
X.

That price differential does not make sense. If that is the case why is everyone not importing cars from UK to Thailand to sell......r.

Perhaps because the import of second hand cars was made illegal nearly 2 years ago?

Even before that Import Duty could br as high as 230% of value inc shipping and insurance.....their valuation obviously.

That price differential does not make sense. If that is the case why is everyone not importing cars from UK to Thailand to sell. I can imagine them been slighter higher but not by that amount? Have not looked before so have no idea on their prices in Thailand. I know those in the older category, even for luxury ones, they are virtually trying to give them away in UK.

I know one Hong Kong guy doing that lives in UK and has clients in Hongkong that he ships to - his comment was that in Hong Kong prices were much higher so his clients buy as still works out cheaper.

Just look at Toyotas webpage GT86 sold in Thailand for 2.49m or about 75k usd, Sold in the US as a Scion with prices starting at 24kusd 792,000b.

Import fees on the models made abroad are stupid expensive.   

For OP: How about buying a second hand car (for example from Baht & Sold - some good deals available every now and then) and giving it out for rent for the remaining part of the year. Ok, might be a difficult to get it rented for the whole 9 months but 6 months seems to be doable with correct pricing.

OT: Does anyone know any agent/broker to who you can give your car for rent?

Thanks for the responses I didn't realise it was so pricey.. Seems like a local new car would be the way to go if I was intent on a car. Otherwise renting it is.

Have not looked before so have no idea on their prices in Thailand. .

Massive import taxes perhaps? Completely different car markets?

Jeez this is hard work.

Ban on imports of used vehicles
The Nation

30180164-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet yesterday approved the Transport Ministry's proposal to ban import and registration of second-hand vehicles. Four types of vehicles are targeted by the ban: motorcycles, sedans, pick-ups and vehicles that carry more than seven passengers.

The ban also aims to prevent or minimise the smuggling of parts used to assemble vehicles that can then be sold as new.

The initiative is viewed as being beneficial to domestic auto-makers as well as for the sake of public safety because ministry officials say many illegally assembled vehicles, especially motorcycles with large engine sizes, were being used for street racing.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2012-04-18

There were some guys importing Japanese cars until the ban happened. Such a shame as you can get some pretty decent cars here in Japan for fuck all. I just bought a Subaru Legacy (Aka Liberty) sedan with the 2 liter engine and twin turbo. Mind you, this is my personal preference only, but I've had two of these now and they are really great cars. The first one I paid $500 usd roughly and drove it quite a bit. Was great. This new one I just bought cost a bit more as it only has 50000 kms.

I've looked into second hand cars a few times, one for my father and one for drifting.  But its beyond a joke,  buy new or forget it IMO. Unless you want a workhorse pickup thats old.

You can get an old drifting car for 150k but costs alot to modify it, maybe up to 500k.

Archived