IGNORED

GPS Devices for Course Yardage-do they work in Thailand?

BogeyPro

Hello, fellow golfers.

I'll be playing a lot of golf in December in Pattaya.

I also have a Garmin GPS watch that will display yardage to the front, middle and back of the green.

Works GREAT here at home.  

Wondering if anyone has tried using one before in some of the Chonburi courses, if it works or not.

Thank you for any feedback. 

The answer is YES.  You just need to go to the Garmin Website, and search for Thailand.  There you will see all 36 courses located in Chonburi.  

You just have to download them and then upload to your Garmin watch, which is what I am doing right now.

Isn't technology grand?

I have something similar for Chon Buri golf courses.....it's called a caddie

....and quite often gives me more than yardages

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

I have a bushnell range finder that pisses the caddies off when I

use it as they think I don't trust them. But my Bushnell is in metres

whereas everything is in yards on the courses and that's what

the caddies give advice in.

Yes I can just take 10% off the yardage but arithmetic wasn't my

good subject

I don't want to put a dampener on the OP.....I know many people like these things, personally I don't use one, never will....but I've played a lot of golf around Pattaya and I've found after 2 or 3 holes the caddies pick up on your game and pretty much have the required club in their mind before they even stop the cart by your ball.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

I have a bushnell range finder that pisses the caddies off when I

use it as they think I don't trust them. But my Bushnell is in metres

whereas everything is in yards on the courses and that's what

the caddies give advice in.

Yes I can just take 10% off the yardage but arithmetic wasn't my

good subject

Ah, yes.  You bring up a very good point. 

I completely forgot to consider,  that looking the Garmin watch for a reference, or any other tracking device, would indeed most likely insult the caddies.

Point well taken, and thank you.

I should 

Trust me if u get a good caddie who knows her stuff around the course u won't need your Garmin...

But if u get a bad caddie well then its up to u if u want to use the Garmin or not...

I never felt the need to buy a Garmin as i have my own caddies in most golf courses around Chonburi...

I wish u the very best of luck & enjoy your golf...

• 2 weeks later...

The quality and accuracy of caddies varies.  Many do not factor in the flag postion when telling yardage, just middle distances.  Also they are not so accurate on distances to bunkers, hazzards, etc.  GPS or phone apps like Golf Shot GPS can provide better or more comprehensive data.  Some caddies like to use your laser or see how the GPS works.  If you are friendly about it they do not seem to mind not taking their distances.

Common sense is not very common.

The quality and accuracy of caddies varies.  Many do not factor in the flag postion when telling yardage, just middle distances.  Also they are not so accurate on distances to bunkers, hazzards, etc.  GPS or phone apps like Golf Shot GPS can provide better or more comprehensive data.  Some caddies like to use your laser or see how the GPS works.  If you are friendly about it they do not seem to mind not taking their distances.

Thank you, Hawkeye!  Appreciate that.  

Yeah, perhaps too quick too assume that all caddies would take it personally!

Archived