IGNORED

tee ที่

i have come across the word tee many times my dictonary tells me it can mean at,to,in,for,on, as so how does it translate in this sentence

see liam ja-dtu-rat [square] tee lek[small] tee sut[est] kuu[be] see kaao [white]

i have being told this says the smallest square is white so how is tee used in this sentaence

i have also being told that when you use tee when talking about a person it means who

dek puu chai tee si seur see kaao gamlang dte luuk bon

a boy who is wearing a white top kicking a ball

puu chai tee gea gwaa

a man who is older [i think]

tee meaning who fits into these sentances and it makes sense but i can find no reference in any books i have for using tee this way

so how do you use the word tee and can it mean anything else

go here and goto dictionary and type it in "reverse transcription" box http://www.thai-language.com/default.aspx

it can mean (at; on the site of; within; amidst; in the location of) as in :-

Yoo tee non = it's located there

Yoo tee nii = it's located where?

Yoo tee nee = It's located here

These are the only examples I can think of at the mo

Edited by Farangutang

"To monger, or not to monger, that is the question"

not sure but maybe it also means "for"

Khortort tee maa sai.....I'm sorry for coming late.

go here and goto dictionary and type it in "reverse transcription" box http://www.thai-language.com/default.aspx

it can mean (at; on the site of; within; amidst; in the location of) as in :-

Yoo tee non = it's located there

Yoo tee nii = it's located where?

Yoo tee nee = It's located here

These are the only examples I can think of at the mo

thanks for that a very useful site, tee seems to be used for quite a few things, but at least it has ansewrd another question about the word dai being used to indicate past tense

• 3 weeks later...

Phun tee: location

tee yuu: speaking of a place where someone or something stays

tee rak: darling

sing tee djam phen: necessary things

phun tee: a place where something takes place

sinclair1969: a fuckin' degenerate gambler.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

I've always thought of it to mean "who" or "at".

yoo tee noon = at there

yoo teen nee = at here

kon tee chalaat = person who's intelligent

kon tee suay yoo tee ni = person who's beautiful is where

i have come across the word tee many times my dictonary tells me it can mean at,to,in,for,on, as so how does it translate in this sentence

see liam ja-dtu-rat [square] tee lek[small] tee sut[est] kuu[be] see kaao [white]

i have being told this says the smallest square is white so how is tee used in this sentaence

i have also being told that when you use tee when talking about a person it means who

dek puu chai tee si seur see kaao gamlang dte luuk bon

a boy who is wearing a white top kicking a ball

puu chai tee gea gwaa

a man who is older [i think]

tee meaning who fits into these sentances and it makes sense but i can find no reference in any books i have for using tee this way

so how do you use the word tee and can it mean anything else

In the context of that sentence ( see liam ja-dtu-rat [square] tee lek[small] tee sut[est] kuu[be] see kaao [white] )it just means like "the one that" in the first instance and it's an ordinator in the second meaning that it just indicates the hierarchy or order of something.e tee nung = 1st, tee soong = 2nd yai tee sut = the largest.

In the last sentences it means "the one that" i.e. tee Rak = Darling (the one that I love). Hope this helps.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I thought that = nan

nan cur arai = that is what

this is where I start getting confused and it doesn't take much. See I'm wondering if i can speak

see liam ja-dtu-rat [square] nan cur lek........................................ as a pose to

see liam ja-dtu-rat [square] tee lek............................................

would I be wrong if I said this ???

I thought that = nan

nan cur arai = that is what

this is where I start getting confused and it doesn't take much. See I'm wondering if i can speak

see liam ja-dtu-rat [square] nan cur lek........................................ as a pose to

see liam ja-dtu-rat [square] tee lek............................................

would I be wrong if I said this ???

Yes you would be wrong, I know the mistake you are making and it is a common one. You are thinking in English. i.e You are looking up literal translations in English and assuming that the Thai words meaning meaning is identical to the English words.

Translating between languages is an imprecise thing. cur คือ (namely, thus) has a similar meaning but not an identical one. Tee has many different meanings "the one that" in your example.

What I'm saying is that rather than trying to reason it out with logic a better approach is probably to just find as many examples of the word(s) in use as possible until the authentic Thai meaning and usage of the word just sinks in.

If you keep studying you will reach a point where you are just thinking in Thai as opposed to logically translating.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel