Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Expensive Airport Transfer from Phuket to hotel - what is the best option?

Hitch

Hi all, just a few logistics for my upcoming inevitable return... 

I have been quoted 900 baht each way for an Airport transfer to the hotel / back to airport.

Seems pricey, but that's Phuket for you.  My hotel has asked for my CC details over email to confirm, which doesn't strike me as a very wise set of details to give out. 

Is this safe, I am more inclined to persuade them I will pay cash on arrival.  

What is your experience of the best way to arrange Phuket airport transfer to dodge the melee of over priced taxis?  

And while I am starting a thread, any 'must do' things in Phuket very welcome, just starting to work out my plans.  I'm staying near the action close to Bangla Road.

Thanks,

Hitch.

Where r u staying, I paid 900 to Patong which is good considering nearly hour taxi

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

If you are staying in Patong the taxi price is fine. Don't bother trying to get a taxi at the airport, its a pain in the ass after a long flight

I have never had a problem giving CC details to hotels in Patong - you will be fine

12 Pints in Know it all

Thanks gmoule and Mr Wombat, all booked up - they have charged me in advance for the first but not return journey, guess they don't mind me paying the latter when there.... awesome, thanks.

I've been to Phuket 4 times in the last 3 years.  Each time, I've just got a shared minibus into Patong or Karon from the airport, for 180bt.

Hmm, I am sure it not that difficult - oh well, booked, £17 and will get me there quicker, maybe I will get a bus back (what am I talking about, no I won't, I will be knackered, hungover and in a determined frenzy to get to Patts!)  

Any Phuket recommendations much appreciated, I am staying in Patong (obviously).

Be careful with the Bath-bus Mafia....check the price for the fare before getting on!!

The shared mini buses are not without issue.   My first visit included a minibus taxi.  It proceeded to stop at a Travel Agency shop to "help" you book your hotel, etc.   This is wasted time for most travelers, then we proceeded stop at every hotel in Patong (it only seemed this way)  Again, wasted time.  IMO the quickest and cheapest way is to walk past all the taxi hawkers inside the airport, and walk out the main airport exit and turn Right and walk 25 meters to the Taxi stand. The lady in the office will book your ride directly to your hotel, and relay this info to a waiting Taxi-Meter taxi.  After 25 trips the average fee has been B400-B500.  Quick and cheap.  Perfect!     Taxi Mafia refers to the mini-pickup truck taxis in Patong.  Avoid at all costs.  Even a 3 minute ride will be B250.  Moto-taxis within town are only B30.   No hard decision here.  The return trip to the airport is extremely expensive when you allow a hotel to book the return ride. B800-B1000.  Better to ask for a business card from your first taxi (if you found him acceptable).  You can even negotiate the same return fee B400-B500.  Good travels

I Love This City

Just got home today from Phuket (hotel was at Karon) - metered taxi to/from airport was 800 baht each time. I really missed the baht buses found in Patts and Chiang Mai...the tuk tuks really add up.

When you arrive ignore all the hustlers trying to engage you, walk out the airport doors turn right, walk 50 meters (end of terminal)

to the taxi booth/hut. Tell the lady where you are going, (Patong, Bangala Rd/ hotel name) she will give you a slip

of paper with the cost written on it. A cab will be there and in you get. The last 8 trips to Patong (the last 2 years ago)

the cost was 450 Baht +the tip. I understand the price has been increased to 600 baht + Tip (up to you) I have never

never had any issues. It takes between 15-30 seconds and off you go.

The shared mini-bus makes a 10min stop just outside the airport, so they can check which hotels everybody is staying at, & plan a route to drop people off.  With 10 people in the minibus, you have to be very unlucky for them to all be single travellers, & all staying at different hotels, normally there are 5-6 drops, generally all in central Patong.

It will take 15-30 mins longer than a private taxi, but even if you're the last to be dropped off, you still get to see a bit of Patong, get your bearings or see whats changed since your last visit.

+1 minibus. Unless you are arriving at night at want to get there a bit quicker, in the afternoon your not going to miss much.

As for tips check the bars inside the sois on Bangla road. And during the day friendly massage girls can be found on soi kepsup

Archived