Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Visa exemption extension in Jomtien

Bek

I might have to stay a few days beyond my 30 day visa exemption. I saw in another thread (but can't find it again) that I can get a extension of my visa exemption in Jomtien.

Anyone with first hand experience? What documentation would I need - a confirmed ticket out of Thailand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might have to stay a few days beyond my 30 day visa exemption. I saw in another thread (but can't find it again) that I can get a extension of my visa exemption in Jomtien.

Anyone with first hand experience? What documentation would I need - a confirmed ticket out of Thailand?

Done it several times.

Bring 1,900 baht

You will need a passport photo (can be arranged next door)

A copy of you passport, picture page, visa waiver stamp and entry form (can be arranged next door)

Application (available there)

Copy of onward ticket may be required.

Bring a pen as they often don't have enough available.

Easy process, but at times can take a fair bit of time.

Thank you very much MrDK, I will give it a go tomorrow!

Exactly as Mr dk says...although if they are busy and your visa still has time left, they will ask you to come another day. Either way, simple process....just have ready to answer "why" you need extention. no big deal, but have something ready ahead of time. I have done this several times and the only pain is sometimes you sit for a while.

I thought this was useful even has link to the forms required , should be a similar process in Jomtiem

http://www.thewayofslowtravel.com/2014/02/08/how-to-extend-your-thai-tourist-visa-in-chiang-mai/

"Thai Visa Extensions Explained

Tourist visas can be extended simply by visiting your local immigration office anywhere in Thailand, filling out a form, and paying a fee. Extending your visa should be done before your visa expires; you can get your visa extended on the last day without any problem.

Thai tourist visas and visa exemptions (what people wrongly call “visas on arrival”) can be extended by 30 days at the Chiang Mai immigration office. Visa exemptions used to be only extensible for 7 days, but this changed in August 2014.

At the time of writing, extending your visa costs 1900 Baht. Overstaying your visa costs 500B per day, which might make it a more compelling financial decision than extending for less than four days; however, it’s my understanding that overstaying your visa can compromise future visa applications.

A Note on Attitude

As with all official matters in Thailand, you’re much better off dressing in an appropriate manner and behaving yourself while at the immigration office. Showing up in dirty shorts and a Beer Chang t-shirt might complicate matters in ways that are hard to quantify.

Likewise, getting angry or impatient with Thai officials will never get you anywhere. Stay polite, smile, and relax; if you stay cool, things have a way of resolving themselves. Just stay patient and polite, and state your point clearly and in a respectful manner.

Mind you, the Chiang Mai immigration office is the nicest bunch of officials I’ve seen in Thailand. They’re generally helpful and patient, and speak good enough English to sort you out.

Step 1: Preparation

You’ll need a few things before heading out to the immigration office. Some of these, like the form, you can do once you’re there, but it’ll save you some hassle if you come prepared.

The immigration office is open 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday, except on national holidays. Make sure to check the calendar of official Thai holidays before heading out. If you want to beat the crowds, you’ll want to get there by 8:00 am at the latest. Arriving at 8:15 am will guarantee you at least two hours of waiting, so either go really early or just take your time. Last time I was at the Immigration office, I arrived at 11:00 am and was out by noon. Obviously, this depends on a lot of factors including time of year, proximity to holidays, and political climate. You’re a lot more likely to have to wait during high season.

Do note that getting a queue number doesn’t guarantee that your application will be processed on the same day! If there are too many applicants, you’ll have to return the next business day with the same queue number. If your application is time sensitive, you should make sure to arrive as early as possible.

Just to be on the safe side, plan to spend three hours there, depending on time of year. It’s a fairly comfortable wait, so don’t sweat it if you can’t get up early; but do get there a few hours before they close, or you’ll be forced to come back the next day!

What you should have before heading out:

– Passport
– Departure card
– Passport-sized picture
– Thai visa extension request form (TM. 7)
- Photocopies (see below)
– Complete address of residence

Passport-sized picture

You can get these done in any photo shop in Chiang Mai. There are many in the Old City, since a lot of tourists require them. There is also a shop in Airport Plaza that will be cheaper than the tourist options, as well as a photo booth in Central Kad Suan Kaew.

Any picture that is roughly passport-sized will do, as there is plenty of space to stick your picture on the form. My recommendation, though, is to get a bunch of pictures sized 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm (1.4″ x 1.8″), since this is the format required when applying for a new visa. Just keep the extras, because you’ll need them sooner than later.

Thai visa extension request form

You can download the form online. Enter the required information, print it, and stick your picture on the second page. I recommend doing this ahead of time because sometimes the process can go really quick; you might not have time to fill a form before your number is called.

Photocopies

You’ll need the following photocopies for your visa extension. Make sure every number and date is clearly legible, as you may be asked to do it again otherwise. I’m not sure you need the visa page, but it doesn’t hurt to include it. The immigration officer will ask you to sign all the copies.

– First page of your passport
– Current Thai visa stamp
– Current Thai visa page (if you have that)
– Departure card

Complete address of residence

For some reason, the immigration office requires you to have your complete address of residence, including tambon, amphoe (district), province, and postal code. Make sure you have all these in hand when you fill out the form. If you’re in Chiang Mai, they’ll probably be able to help you figure it out at the immigration office.

Step 2: Getting to the Immigration Office

immigrationoffice-300x245.png(Click to enlarge map)

Getting to the immigration office is pretty easy. If you’re anywhere near the Old City, just flag a songthaewand ask for “immigration office.” If they say it’s OK, just hop on without asking for price, and pay them 20B when you reach your destination. Tuk-tuks are also an option, but they’ll definitely cost you more.

The immigration office is located on Airport Road, between the airport and Airport Plaza. You can walk to either in 10 minutes.

Step 3: Getting Your Visa Extension

Once you get to the immigration office, head inside right away and go to the counter. You want to get a blue laminated number card as soon as possible, then go wait for your number to be called. The blue number is not the final queue number; it’s a simple queue number required to get a second number. When your blue laminated number is called, go up to the counter and explain your purpose (tourist visa extension). The agent will give you an actual queue number on a piece of paper.

The reason for this two-step queue number attribution is that there are different queues for different immigration functions. These range from visa extensions to business visa applications and non-immigrant visa check-ins. Since you’re extending a tourist visa, you’ll probably have a number starting with 0. Time to wait.

(At least one person reported not having to deal with a two-numbers system. This may depend on how busy the office is that day. If you get your final queue number right away, you’re in luck!)

At this point, you might as well get comfortable as you wait. There’s a little café just outside the office, and if you’re lucky you can sit down and enjoy a drink or a pastry. There’s also some food at a stand inside the compound, and there are washrooms at the back behind the immigration office.

When the officers finally call your number, walk up to the counter and turn in your documentation, along with your 1900B fee. They’ll give you change if you don’t have any, so don’t worry. An immigration officer will check all your documentation, and because you followed my instructions, he’ll begrudgingly admit you got it all right. Go back and sit down.

This part of the wait is mercifully very quick. 10-15 minutes later, you’ll be called to the front again, and you’ll get your passport, your change, and a receipt. (Check that you have your change, as some report that they had to ask for it.)

Your Thai visa stamp should now have an extra stamp next to it stating that you can stay in the country longer. Note that when extending a visa exemption, sometimes they might stamp your passport saying your extension request has been denied. Not sure what’s the deal with this, but as long as your new exit date is good, you’re good to go. Good job!"

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

Had this done several times at the Jomtien Office. There is a Farang Officer there - Mr Freddy (who has his own little desk just around the corner on the left side as you walk into the Building)- who was very helpful. He advised to avoid Mondays or Fridays ... and it always worked very well and did not take too long.

BTW, stillearly has really out-done himself with the very, very comprehensive post - what a champ - great work!!

going to need to do this during my upcoming stay. can someone post the location of the Jomtien office?

"I'd pork her. Or, if her religion forbade pork, I'd beef her. If it turned out she was a vegetarian, I'd give her an extra firm slab of tofu."

Just came back.

Presented needed copies as described by MrDK, together with a ticket for the 5th of November. The lady at the desk asked why and how long time I wanted to stay. I told her I would like to stay for some extra days of holiday, and I expected to leave on the 5th, and once again showed her my ticket.

Without any further questions, or looking through the papers, she asked me if I could pay 3000 baht for 30 days. I most likely looked a bit surprised, so she went on to say that she think it would be better for me to pay 3000 baht for 30 days. I tell her that the form I just handed her, says the fee is 1900 baht. She then tells me that 1900 baht only gets me 7 days, if I want 30 days I have to pay her 3000 baht. I say sure I can pay 3000, but I need a receipt. She tells me I can get receipt, but receipt will only say 1900. At this point I really have to restrain myself from breaking into tears of laughter.

Anyway, she keeps insisting that it's better for me to pay 3000, so I do.

A bit shocked of how openly it all went. I only had 2000 baht in my pocket and had to go get 1000 from my girlfriend, but that didn't seem to affect her - she didn't even lower her ways, trying to shake me down :)

Anyway, all in all it took 20 minutes. I noticed the immigration officer only had an iPhone 4, so I guess she has started to save up for the soon-to-be released iPhone 6 ;)

Bloody hell...they'll bribe you wherever you go! :Whistle:  Good to read you got the extras days of fun!

Just came back.

Presented needed copies as described by MrDK, together with a ticket for the 5th of November. The lady at the desk asked why and how long time I wanted to stay. I told her I would like to stay for some extra days of holiday, and I expected to leave on the 5th, and once again showed her my ticket.

Without any further questions, or looking through the papers, she asked me if I could pay 3000 baht for 30 days. I most likely looked a bit surprised, so she went on to say that she think it would be better for me to pay 3000 baht for 30 days. I tell her that the form I just handed her, says the fee is 1900 baht. She then tells me that 1900 baht only gets me 7 days, if I want 30 days I have to pay her 3000 baht. I say sure I can pay 3000, but I need a receipt. She tells me I can get receipt, but receipt will only say 1900. At this point I really have to restrain myself from breaking into tears of laughter.

A bit shocked of how openly it all went. I only had 2000 baht in my pocket and had to go get 1000 from my girlfriend, but that didn't seem to affect her - she didn't even lower her ways, trying to shake me down :)

Anyway, all in all it took 20 minutes. I noticed the immigration officer only had an iPhone 4, so I guess she has started to save up for the soon-to-be released iPhone 6 ;)

Damn, that's pretty shitty way of hearing from her! This is clearly evident corruption.

Is it really better to have your visa already in the home country before venturing into this bureaucratic Thai adventure. I copied her personal number, if any wore.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Damn, that's pretty shitty way of hearing from her! This is clearly evident corruption.

Is it really better to have your visa already in the home country before venturing into this bureaucratic Thai adventure. I copied her personal number, if any wore.

I know her name, but I also know that no good will come of filing a complaint, or starting to argue that the 7 days were changed to 30 days back in August(I think?), as she was already was aware of this.

Unfortunately Visa from my home country is not possible, as I only go home every 6 months. In between the 6 months, I have upwards 15 entries - I go to Thailand when I am off work. They simply don't have any proper visas for my situation, and as I rarely stay longer than 30 days at a time, the visa exemption is/was perfect for me.

But a heads up... Bring extra money ;)

She then tells me that 1900 baht only gets me 7 days, if I want 30 days I have to pay her 3000 baht. I say sure I can pay 3000, but I need a receipt. She tells me I can get receipt, but receipt will only say 1900. At this point I really have to restrain myself from breaking into tears of laughter.

I can't believe people accept this kind of things so easily. :sad:

I saw several reports about the same problem at Jomtien in last weeks. One case I remember well where at the end the guy insisted - politely but firmly - that he wanted a receipt with the correct amount. He didn't had long to wait before 1'100 baht appear in front of him :wink:

I can't believe people accept this kind of things so easily. :sad:

I saw several reports about the same problem at Jomtien in last weeks. One case I remember well where at the end the guy insisted - politely but firmly - that he wanted a receipt with the correct amount. He didn't had long to wait before 1'100 baht appear in front of him :wink:

I know I am a chickenshit, but 1100 extra is still cheaper for me, than have to leave the country.

If I would ever need to extent again, I will be better prepared of the whole process, and bring a copy from the website stating that it's a 30 day extension, not 7 days.

If all comes down to it, I will just pay up - sorry. It is small money in the large picture.

I know I am a chickenshit, but 1100 extra is still cheaper for me, than have to leave the country...

Hi. I am sure I would try to make respect my rights in such case, and it seems that often it's working because these officers don't want anyone to make "noise" about their business, but yes, I must admit I will not push too strong either, because I am living in Thailand and whish to continue living here... :wink:

BTW you are not alone. Some guys were talking about that same problem this morning at my condo.

There is this topic on Thaivisa about Jomtien corruption, maybe you could add your experience there too?

ThaiVisa has proven be important enough to - sometimes - have an impact on such problems...

Well... I'm all for standing up for my rights - but the problem is that I'm a farang who want to stay in Thailand, so my rights are rather limited.

I have multiple entries within a short period in my passport (which she knew nothing about, since she didn't even bother to look at the papers before she decided it would cost me 1100 baht extra) and didn't really want to rock the boat and fake any chances.

I read the thread you linked to. I do NOT want to do like the OP does and start "threatening" with superiors or Prayuth himself. My experience with thai ladies is that they never forget a face, which might cause me trouble if I would need her services again. I am pretty sure she has the right to deny me extension, and I don't think Prayuth care too much about me ;)

I don't think she is the only one in the office pulling a trick like that, as everything was done very openly and with her colleague next to her.

It's a nice thought to stand up against what we perceive as unfair, but as guests in this country it is not our task to eliminate corruption.

Anyway, I will try and make an account tomorrow and chip in on the TV thread.

looked but found nothing - is there a link to a page showing 30 days @ 1,900B anywhere on http://www.immigration.go.th/ that someone is aware of?  sounds like it would be good to have in hand when entering the office to avert these sort of "confusions" 

"I'd pork her. Or, if her religion forbade pork, I'd beef her. If it turned out she was a vegetarian, I'd give her an extra firm slab of tofu."

• 5 weeks later...

looked but found nothing - is there a link to a page showing 30 days @ 1,900B anywhere on http://www.immigration.go.th/ that someone is aware of?  sounds like it would be good to have in hand when entering the office to avert these sort of "confusions" 

I have decided to tackle this onerous task...wasn't "aware" of it, but by the miracle of clicking on the link you provided, then clicking on "fee", I found this:

Application for extension of temporary stay

1,900 baht per time

I have decided to tackle this onerous task...wasn't "aware" of it, but by the miracle of clicking on the link you provided, then clicking on "fee", I found this:

Application for extension of temporary stay

1,900 baht per time

Yes, but that "per time" could be 7 days.  As it stands, the relevant Police Order (PO 327-2557, Clause 2.4) states that the MAXIMUM extension of stay for those who entered the country as "visa exempt" is 30 days.

Archived