Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Would this TR Visa strategy work?

juiceManX1

I'm a US citizen and have a few hundred thousand USD saved up in my accounts. I figure these two points + the following strategy might allow me to stay in Thailand for 9 months at a time even with the recent crackdowns.

1. Go to Thai embassy in Washington DC and get a triple entry tourist visa.

2. Go to Thailand for 60 days, then get a 30 day extension.

3. After first 90 days is up, fly to another nearby country and hang out for a weekend. Then fly back to Thailand to "activate" another one of my entries.

4. repeat steps 2 and 3 until I have no more entries left ( triple entry visa should = 90x3 or about 270 days ).

5. now that I have no more entries, travel around in other countries for around two months and then head back to USA.

6. now back in USA, go to the Thai embassy in Washington DC and get a NEW triple entry tourist visa. If they think something is up and I'm going to Thailand to work instead of vacation like the TR visa is for, show them my bank info that clearly shows I have a few hundred grand to my name and have no need to work or steal jobs from Thai people.

7. Go back to Thailand for another 9 months.

Anybody see any problems with this plan? Am I forgetting anything? I'm sure many other people do a very similar plan but I just want to double check. I would really just like to get a retirement visa but I am not over the age of 50.

Anybody see any problems with this plan? Am I forgetting anything?

Apart from the fact that a tourist visa is for the purposes of tourism, not because you don't qualify for an O or O-A Visa. The IO would be quite within his/her rights to refuse you entry, likewise the Embassy could refuse to issue another triple entry. Just buy an Elite Card.

"Apart from the fact that a tourist visa is for the purposes of tourism"

What are you getting at? I'm not working and am just enjoying the country. What am I doing different that isn't tourism?

Sure, the IO can deny anybody for ANY reason. If you look at them wrong and they are having a bad day, the IO can say "nah, see ya!". I'm asking from the standpoint of why they normally deny people, which is they think you are working and stealing jobs from residents.

Why would they simply not want a rich guy to come and vacation in Thailand several months out of the year? I'm spending a ton of money and not committing any crimes. I have a valid Tourist visa. If I was 50 years old I'd get a long stay 1yr visa but I'm only 30.

When you say they could refuse to let me enter ( even though I have a visa ).. what are the chances of that happening? When you say they might not give me another triple entry.. what are the chances of that happening? Is it normal for people to be denied visas when they apply in their western home countries?

"Apart from the fact that a tourist visa is for the purposes of tourism"

What are you getting at? I'm not working and am just enjoying the country. What am I doing different that isn't tourism?

Sure, the IO can deny anybody for ANY reason. If you look at them wrong and they are having a bad day, the IO can say "nah, see ya!". I'm asking from the standpoint of why they normally deny people, which is they think you are working and stealing jobs from residents.

Why would they simply not want a rich guy to come and vacation in Thailand several months out of the year? I'm spending a ton of money and not committing any crimes. I have a valid Tourist visa. If I was 50 years old I'd get a long stay 1yr visa but I'm only 30.

When you say they could refuse to let me enter ( even though I have a visa ).. what are the chances of that happening? When you say they might not give me another triple entry.. what are the chances of that happening? Is it normal for people to be denied visas when they apply in their western home countries?

Which part of "would be" and "could" do you have a problem comprehending?  If you're going to moan about the answers, don't ask the question. As I said, get yourself an Elite card. Problem solved. Should be no problem for a wealthy guy such as yourself.   :GoldenSmile1:

If that doesn't suit you, start a company ... invest ... enrol at uni ... get a job ... invade the country ... lots of ways to stay here long-term ... or, you can bang your head against the virtual wall insisting you're a tourist.  

keep in mind those triple entry via are usually only valid for 6 months (180 days) from issuance

so watch ur expiry dates on that last entry

As to your idea,

might not work, regardless of how many millions u have it does not look like ur a working stiff

true ur a tourist but....

Why not go for a ed visa an learn the language?

The ED visa used to be a very good option but now they have cracked down hard on it. It used to be that you went to school 2-4 hours a week and got to stay in the country 1 full year. It looks like they changed it up a ton so now its like 40hrs a week of class and you have to leave the country every 90 days. Could be wrong though.. this is just what I've read elsewhere on here.

Anybody see any problems with this plan? Am I forgetting anything?

A couple of posters have pointed out potential problems..

The main one being that your whole plan could come crashing down simply because an immigration officer suspects that you are not using the visa for the correct purpose for which it was issued.

They are within their rights to take this attitude if and when necessary,so I'm not necessarily going to debate the finer points of whether it will or will not happen.

But you did ask...

I had an ED visa for about 5 years, cost me 33,000 baht a year and I never went to school.

was that pre May 2014?

I bet so

Here in Phuket u can get a 3 month visa and a 3 month extension and only need do exit after 90days, same as a b visa or o visa ( not talking about extensions but VISAS.

costs is about 25 grand/year

I am giving serious thought of dividing long term stays between Cambodia and Thailand. The expat numbers are growing fast in Siem Reap and Sihanoukville, Cambodia and there is a building boom going on there. Long term visas are currently much easier to secure in Cambodia but that could change.

Having lived in Cambodia, let me tell you

Cambodia is not for everyone,

visas are cheaper/easier but the quality of living is not the same

you can get a wife and/or a child and go for a "family" O-visa !!!!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

Why would they simply not want a rich guy to come and vacation in Thailand several months out of the year?

This is why Thailand offers the Elite Program/Privilege Entry Visa for 'rich' people who want to stay in the Kingdom up to a year at a time, extendable.  :Think1:

Pay your 2 million baht up-front and 20k baht annually, and they will likely let you stay in the country as long as you like.

You have to look at it from the officials perspective. 'Tourism' is supposed to be a temporary activity, a vacation or holiday or traveling. If Immigrations suspects you are gaming the system and trying to live in Thailand without the proper long-term visa (work, education, retirement, whatever), you may have a bad time. The primary reason for the new regulations is to crack down on criminals or illegal workers using multiple tourist visas and extensions over and over. And unfortunately for you, the activity you propose above matches the profile they are cracking down on, wealthy American or not. If you can convince the Thai embassy/consulate and Immigrations officer at Suvarnabhumi that you just like hanging out in Thailand for much of the year, then you may be fine. But on the other hand, don't be surprised if you're turned away because you're not acting like a 'tourist' should. Look through previous threads, we have Thai police generals and high-ranking Immigrations personnel using the press to put out the word that the Government wants long-term stayers to use the 'proper' sort of visa, and not to 'abuse' the tourist visa. And they see tourists as short-term, temporary visitors; not people trying to live the majority of the time in the Kingdom.  :Dunno:

That 500K for 5 years looks like a cool idea, but realistically speaking someone could buy the easy access card and then the program gets terminated a few months later. Now your out 500K baht and back to doing TR or ED visas. Not good.

The Thai gov doesn't have a track record of trustworthiness or stability. Maybe I'd consider buying an item like that from the US gov... but Thai gov lol.

Maybe you just need to tell them who you are. After that I'm sure they will let you tay as long as you want. Or you can join the Elite program and just get on with your trip to Thailand.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a US citizen and have a few hundred thousand USD saved up in my accounts. I figure these two points + the following strategy might allow me to stay in Thailand for 9 months at a time even with the recent crackdowns.

You'd actually probably be okay as long as you can get that second visa in DC and the embassy doesn't reject it. Every embassy is different though so you really don't know if they will enforce the rules or not.  I got a marriage Visa out of Vancouver with a copy of my wedding certificate (not the detailed document the Thai's use for record keeping...literally just the certificate with our names on it in Thai) and a copy of my wife's passport.  Literally 10% of the information they technically require for the Visa....the office there is just easy. Renewing in Thailand is a completely different story, I killed a small forest making copies and providing all sorts of random documentation.

If you have a few hundred K saved.....why not just transfer enough for an Investor Visa to a Thai account during your first 9 month Visa.  Money doesn't sound like a huge issue, so dropping about 30K into a Bangkok Bank term deposit would set you up to apply for a different Visa the next time around.  This would eliminate any chance of getting hassled when you want to come back again as now you'd have the paperwork to actually live there.  The term deposit rates are shit, but it would take care of any Visa problems.

Why leave it up to chance?  You're dealing with a civil servant at the airport who could fuck your plans up in a big way if their in a bad mood.....not worth it when the solution to a real visa is so easy.

keep in mind those triple entry via are usually only valid for 6 months (180 days) from issuance

so watch ur expiry dates on that last entry

They are, but if you enter on the last day of validity they give you three months starting from that day.  When I first moved to Thailand I did 9 months on a Tourist Visa before doing something more permanent.

Archived