Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

How are young guys staying in Thailand for long periods?

juiceManX1

If I understand it correctly, the longest you can stay in LOS with a Tourist visa is 90 days ( 60 days + 30 day extension at immigration officers discretion ). I routinely see reports from guys in their 20s and 30s just about LIVING here. Staying for years at a time. Are they all here illegally and pay a giant fine when they leave? Or is there some sort of loophole/scam that I just don't know about? I want to live in Thailand for a year but I'm only in my late 20s. I work online and make plenty of money from it, not to mention I have a few hundred thousand USD saved up. I really don't have any need to work or whatever it is Thai's are afraid I'm going to do if I stay a long time.

So long story short, what is the procedure guys use to stay here a LONG time? I know the Visa rules just changed and that seems to make things even more confusing. I'm from the USA if that matters at all.

Most men die at 27, we just bury them at 72.  -Mark Twain

not sure if this answers your question but my friend (33yrs old) got himself a student visa (1 year visa) to study Thai ,also research having a Thai baby or getting married to a Thai lady....j

http://www.justlanded.com/english/Thailand/Thailand-Guide/Visas-Permits/Permanent-residence

Better to pay for a fantasy than lose to an illusion 

trips to Angeles city 2015/2016    best sexual experience    best condoms

8th  trip 7th trip  6th trip 5th trip micro trip  3rd trip  2nd trip   

maiden trip

trip to lagos

Not sure for young blokes as I am over 50 from Australia but I get a Non Immigrant O tourist visa multi entry for 12 months. All I provide is proof of monies in my bank accounts, local guarantor address and contact details and my passport.

Form I fill in is frim this site: http://www.thaiconsulate.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=109

The study route seems like it might be OK, but I have to find out how many classes per week you need to attend. I already know how to speak/write Thai so it would be very boring.

The baby/marriage route is not anything I'd consider at this time.

To the guy who said he gets a 1 year O visa, you need to be 50 or older to do that.

Most young people who stays for years have to do a regular visa run.The rules is supposed to be tightened this summer/autumn,but there are still people who does their visa runs successfully.

What exactly is a visa run? I've looked it up and it doesn't really make much sense.

Is it when your visa is about to expire, and you go across the border ( usually land, but could be air ) and then come right back into Thailand the same day? By doing this you get a 30 days visa exemption stamp??

What is the difference between a "visa run" and leaving Thaialnd by air to another country ( like Phillipines or Vietnam ) then going to the Thai embasy in that country to request another 60 days Tourist visa? Can you only get one tourist visa per year?

Thats the best Route. get a 60 day double entry visa add 30 day extension. after 90 days fly out and reenter good for another 90 days.

With a Visa in your passport nobody can deny you entry as you're pre approved. Who wants to do visa runs every 15 days and risk being denied entry?

http://www.thailanguageschools.com/

Ready to have a 1 year Ed Visa today?

Learning Thai language from Sandee Thai Language School, fully-licensed by the Ministry of Education (MOE) and getting an Ed Visa for 1 year up to 3 years is the best way to stay in Thailand without worrying about the visa runs. Aside from experiencing the exceptional beauty of the country, you’ll also get the chance to learn its culture and use its language for your living advantages.

12 months course        1 year ED VISA200 Lessons total 4 hours per weekOnly 18,000 Thai Baht (around 600 USD)

Better to pay for a fantasy than lose to an illusion 

trips to Angeles city 2015/2016    best sexual experience    best condoms

8th  trip 7th trip  6th trip 5th trip micro trip  3rd trip  2nd trip   

maiden trip

trip to lagos

Going the ED route was something I looked into but I can't find out what the minimum requirements for hours per week and attendance. Some people say 4 hours per week, others say way more. I already know how to speak Thai pretty well and can write/read a little bit.

Also they seem to be cracking down on the ED visa, it's good for only 90 days now. 1 year was the old amount.

With a Visa in your passport nobody can deny you entry as you're pre approved.

Hi GT...

Perhaps I could politely suggest this part of your post could do with a bit of tidying up.?

Immigration officers can (and will) deny you entry on the spot if they think you are not complying with the tterms of a visa.

Having a valid visa has never been a cast iron guarantee of entry to any country.

why would i not comply with the terms of a visa. i am not a criminal  i been approved by the consulate.

i do agree nothing is cast iron guarantee but what in life is? Its better then anything else i know most certainly better then visa runs 

The study route seems like it might be OK, but I have to find out how many classes per week you need to attend. I already know how to speak/write Thai so it would be very boring.

To the guy who said he gets a 1 year O visa, you need to be 50 or older to do that.

No idea if you need to be 50+. Don't see why you would need to be though. Easiest thing to do is ring or visit a Thai consulate near you and have a chat about your options. They are really good to deal with I have found.

I've read on another thread of someone in your situation taking two classes a week, seems like a small amount of time to waste to live in paradise, good luck

Most young people who stays for years have to do a regular visa run.The rules is supposed to be tightened this summer/autumn,but there are still people who does their visa runs successfully.

Most possibly All NO one of my long term tenants 5 years here was refused and has had to return home.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

Once you get to advanced membership. Laamok will get you a year visa and you can work in the bar

Do you prefer doing St or lt

Those guys do visa runs - you need to do by air to get the 90 day option. Land crossings give you much shorter times, and are more scrutinized.

Basically, plan on traveling every 3 months.

Mostly I get a double entry visa befor I go to Thailand so I can stay 6 months with a border run in the middle. If I wanted to stay longer I'd get an ed visa

Those guys do visa runs - you need to do by air to get the 90 day option.

I just flew into Bangkok and got a visa on arrival. I think it's only good for 30 days though? Is it possible to extend to a 60+30 day visa?

In the OP,s position, age and finances, I would go for this :

http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

Sure ED visas are around and many use them as a way of staying but those are being tightened up on, attendance at the schools and for renewals Thai language testing.

With the 500k option you have 5 years and unlimited entry's + perks, read the link for full details.

In the beginning was the word and the word was "In" :ThumbUp6:

I am in a similar position to the OP, under 30 and living in Pattaya. I went with setting up a company, work permit and a non immigrant B 1 year multiple entry visa. Although it only gives 90 days in Thailand before a border run is required. I fly to Australia, visit family and friends for about 2 weeks before coming straight back to Pattaya. You could however just do your border run to a neighbouring country. Paying 500k seems to me like too much just for a visa. If loss of interest on the 500K is calculated in, I would expect my costs to work out not a whole lot more over 5 years including 17-18 flights back to Australia.

The visits back to Australia also keep me eligible for a great value annual travel insurance policy with AMEX at about 8000 baht a year as it limits trips away from Australia for 90 days at a time for unlimited trips. I have also claimed on this and they actually paid out without issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Going the ED route was something I looked into but I can't find out what the minimum requirements for hours per week and attendance. Some people say 4 hours per week, others say way more. I already know how to speak Thai pretty well and can write/read a little bit.

Also they seem to be cracking down on the ED visa, it's good for only 90 days now. 1 year was the old amount.

read this week that in bangkok you must attend 4 x 2hr lessons,in pattaya its 5 x 2hr lessons

read this week that in bangkok you must attend 4 x 2hr lessons,in pattaya its 5 x 2hr lessons

There is an article from today in ThaiVisa

about a 5 x 2 hours rule at Phuket from today.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/776676-new-requirements-for-ed-visa-extensions-in-phuket/

Looks like it's still possible in Pattaya to get an ED with 2 x 2 hours only

but it's very probable it will be 5 x 2 like Phuket soon...

• 4 months later...

Dont forget the Muay Thai training camps offer student visa sign ups.

Any update on ED Visa or is it still the same rules 2x2 hours a week ? (Pattaya)

Life is nice :GoldenSmile1:

• 2 months later...

Those guys do visa runs - you need to do by air to get the 90 day option. Land crossings give you much shorter times, and are more scrutinized.

Basically, plan on traveling every 3 months.

WRONG again Daffy - Land / air all the same - 30 days. Been there, done that recently.

Archived