IGNORED

LHR to BKK with Thai - best flight?

hotkey

Hi all – am travelling thru europe / uk next year and coming back on Thai Airways from LHR thru BKK (for a stopover for about 5 days) before heading back to Melbourne…

I noticed Thai Air has 2 services from LHR:

> a day time flight leaving at 12:30 arriving 06:05am (on a 747)

> a night time flight at 21:30 arriving at 15:05 (on a A340)

As I usually go from Aust to BKK on qantas / emirates I’m not sure what option to take.  Those who do this what do you find the best flight / option?

I’m flying cattle class…  as I’m going over in a group and I understand I can’t split the fare class on the way back…  so my options are very limited…  am only silver class with thai. 

All suggestions / advice gratefully accepted!!! 

cheers

Flown with Thai for about 15 years 99% of the time i get the day departure TG911,

The main reasons landing time at BKK 06:05 not much traffic on the roads can be home by 07:00.

Other reason 747 is bigger than the A340 so in economy more leg room think the seats are wider? seem to be.

Also on the 747 more chance of getting a row of 4 seats to yourself.

Choice of plane? Some of Thai's B747s are getting old. They should all be upgraded to have IFE by now but not sure if this has been completed. The A340s are newer and do have IFE. Legroom in economy will be about same on both planes. I doubt either flight will be full.

Flight time? Arrive at 0605 and you have all day to fill in but you might be very tired. Will get to hotel before room is available or bars open.

Arrive at 1505, get to Pattaya say 1800, straight into room, straight into the first night :) If your bodyclock is on UK time you should find it easier to sleep on the later flight (well it works for me anyway).

So my preference would be the later flight, should be a newer plane and get to town at perfect time.

Dont forget EVA also have a flight about same time as Thai's late flight. Good plane (B777) and usually slightly cheaper than Thai, though I guess you prefer Thai for the club membership.

Forget BA!

Next trip Aug 31-Sep13, theme: try more freelancers, get dirty! Note to self: TAKE MORE PHOTOS!!!

ok; thanks....  sounds like some good reasons to look at that one....  

> on seats: do you wait to select seats online to see availability; ask at check in or just do a quick move once the front door closes? 

You can chose your seat well in advance so look at the available  seats take a chance a put yourself near the back of the aircraft.

That's where there are going to be rows of 4 empty seats.

I actually find that Thai put me in an empty row so even get a row of 3 seats to myself most flights when i travel alone.

ok; cheers: will go with that approach...  

Archived