IGNORED

Programs to learn thai

Pattayafuntime

Been looking for programs to learn thai, plenty of reviews either for or against programs..
Hard to find out which programs are actually decent and what are a waste..

Has anyone used programs, maybe different ones, that can point me in the right direction.
I would put my skill level down as, complete beginner :)

cheers :D

I found pimsleur a good program to learn by, it will take you a while to learn the 27-30 lessons and it will enhance your Thai a fair bit!

Bill

Been looking for programs to learn thai, plenty of reviews either for or against programs..

Hard to find out which programs are actually decent and what are a waste..

Has anyone used programs, maybe different ones, that can point me in the right direction.

I would put my skill level down as, complete beginner :)

cheers :D

I think the program type best for you depends on how you learn. For instance if you like to visualise a language I think you are better off learning to read Thai first (this will give you a deeper understanding of the language). Learning to read Thai is a lot easier than you might expect. However, if you prefer to hear and repeat the language something like Pimsleur may be OK although I don't think that it is the best.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I have found both High Speed Thai and Learn Thai Podcast to be very good

I like Pimseur, and you get you learn some helpful things right away. It is audio only program and you learn everyday words at normal conversation speed with a emphasis on correct pronunciation. However I found it very difficult to follow and didn't make it very far. I still recommend doing a few tapes and you get packs of 5 on iTunes or similar services at a good price and you don't have to buy the whole course. If you make it past tape number 5, you did better than me.

Currently I am looking at learnthaionline.com which has a program for learning written thai. But in the process they introduce the sounds associated with each letter and a small volcabulary of words. I think knowing thai script is a lot better than looking at thai words in roman characters, which will never correctly represent the word. It will also be helpful to see words as you walk around in thailand to reinforce your learning. I have only tried the free stuff so far, but I'm impressed. The online course starts at 4000 baht, so not cheap!

Currently I am looking at learnthaionline.com which has a program for learning written thai. But in the process they introduce the sounds associated with each letter and a small volcabulary of words. I think knowing thai script is a lot better than looking at thai words in roman characters, which will never correctly represent the word. It will also be helpful to see words as you walk around in thailand to reinforce your learning. I have only tried the free stuff so far, but I'm impressed. The online course starts at 4000 baht, so not cheap!

I did the course and I think it is a great way to read Thai. You can learn the alphabet within 20 hours using this system. You can then practice reading using Learn Thai with Maanii Books.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

• 2 weeks later...

I found the Linguaphone course a great way to learn Thai. However, I still feel like I need to plug a lot of lingustic gaps - so I supplemented my learning with books like the

1. English Thai Bar Guide

2.Romancing the Thai

These books gave me a great insight into the Thai love & romance language - but I also need to expand my vocabulary a lot more. Having bough a Thai dictionary I attempted to use it in order to read Thai newspapers (with limited success :- I might add).

I have recently come accross the Thai podcast series - and am wondering if it is worth investing over a hundred dollars in full access to their courses. Has anyone used this course and if so is it worth the investment?

I have recently come accross the Thai podcast series - and am wondering if it is worth investing over a hundred dollars in full access to their courses. Has anyone used this course and if so is it worth the investment?

P Bay (cough) :GoldenSmile1:   torrent if you want to try before you buy !

P Bay (cough) :GoldenSmile1:   torrent if you want to try before you buy !

Yeah I had a try at the torrent - but it got stuck on something like 19% and would not move after that :-(

there are many apps on the iphone  I use them its all free

I was going to post the same thing.  I recently downloaded an excellent app called Speak and Translate.  You say whatever word or phrase in your language and you get both the audio and writing in Thai (or any other language you choose).  The recording is stored in your phone along with the written phrase in your language.  You just hit the phrase and you can hear the Thai translation whenever you want.  I am learning pretty easily by memorizing the most essential phrases and words.

there are many apps on the iphone  I use them its all free

I'll have a look at some apps mate cheers.

I was going to post the same thing.  I recently downloaded an excellent app called Speak and Translate.  You say whatever word or phrase in your language and you get both the audio and writing in Thai (or any other language you choose).  The recording is stored in your phone along with the written phrase in your language.  You just hit the phrase and you can hear the Thai translation whenever you want.  I am learning pretty easily by memorizing the most essential phrases and words.

Does the Thai recording sound like a real person speaking Thai or Metal Mickey?

plenty of free videos available on youtube, just write them down and you make your own book to learn Thai, as i did !

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

Does the Thai recording sound like a real person speaking Thai or Metal Mickey?

Sounds like a real person.  You can speed it up or slow it down so that it's easier to understand.  It's a lady's voice that reminds me of the announcements made over the PA in Thai airports.  Always makes me wish I was back there.

• 3 weeks later...

I struggle with the tones and found this guy excellent on u tube.....

And i loaded Thai Dict onto my phone- for those awkward moments.....easy for both of u to use as she can type in Thai

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thana.info.thaidict&hl=en

Could not copy u tube video...search this...

How to pronounce Initial Ng in Asian Languages - Stuart Jay Raj

• 1 month later...

Download this for free. It is what I started out with, aimed at "survival level" Thai. Download the book, then listen to the audios.

https://www.livelingua.com/peace-corps-thai-course.php

p.s. It also has dictironaries for Issan Lao, Northern Thai (Kham Muang), and Southern Thai (more or less Thai with a gawdawful accent).

Archived