IGNORED

Directing audio from chrome browser

Eastboy

Searched online for this problem and couldn't find an answer, so hoping somebody here can advise.

Basically I got my monitor and TV hooked up to my PC. I want to play a movie file on my TV via HDMI while I use my monitor with DVI.

I want to play a youtube video and have the audio from the youtube video go via the HDMI to the TV speakers.

But I want my PC speakers to play all other sounds like PC games etc.

Hope I explained clearly. Basically want to direct specific sounds from specific programs to specific outputs.

Thanks

Assuming you want to output different AV feeds simultaneously from your PC...AFAIK this isn't possible, sure you can hook everything up, but hardware limitations will force you to choose a single AV output at Windows level.

You could pick up a small throwaway PC box for cheap and use it to drive your secondary AV feed, you could control the box remotely from your main PC..so it could be hidden behind a couch or something, as you would never really need physical access to the box & it wouldn't need a keyboard/mouse.

Always handy to have a second pc for troubleshooting or backup.

Assuming you want to output multiple & different AV feeds simultaneously from your PC...AFAIK this isn't possible, sure you can hook everything up, but hardware limitations will force you to choose one AV output feed at Windows level.

You could pick up a small throwaway PC box for cheap and use it to drive your secondary Input/Output, you could control the box remotely from your main PC..so you could hide it behind a couch or something out of sight, as you would never really need physical access to the box & it would need a keyboard/mouse.

Always handy to have a second pc for troubleshooting or backup.

Thanks mate . It's odd how you can direct video to different video outputs but they haven't thought to do the same with audio

It's odd how you can direct video to different video outputs but they haven't thought to do the same with audio

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't think you can with video outputs either, you can only play 1x audio out & 1x video out at any given time...but you cant play 2x audio and 2x video at the same time from 1 pc afaik.

Hope that makes sense, not an easy subject to talk about clearly lol.

If you don't care about playing 2x audio outputs at the same time...then 2 sound cards would do what you're looking for.

So to be clear, wire one souncard to your TV and the other soundcard to your monitor...then switch between them using: control panel-->sound at Windows level.

Obviously you need a mobo with 2 soundcard slots or you might be able to use the integrated souncard on the mobo + 1 other souncard in the slot.

Do you know your pc spec?

Are you using Windows 7?

Right Click the sound icon in the tray

LcWJXbF.png

Then on the Playback look for your HDMI cable/TV

DvXFz2P.png

Click Set Default

You can't pick and choose which applications sounds go where without getting really advanced and using software such as Virtual Audio Cable and mixers but you can Set Default and switch between laptop and TV at will.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't think you can with video outputs either, you can only play 1x audio out & 1x video out at any given time...but you cant play 2x audio and 2x video at the same time from 1 pc afaik.

Hope that makes sense, not an easy subject to talk about clearly lol.

If you don't care about playing 2x audio outputs at the same time...then 2 sound cards would do what you're looking for.

So to be clear, wire one souncard to your TV and the other soundcard to your monitor...then switch between them using: control panel-->sound at Windows level.

Obviously you need a mobo with 2 soundcard slots or you might be able to use the integrated souncard on the mobo + 1 other souncard in the slot.

Do you know your pc spec?

Yea I knew this topic had a high chance of being very confusing :)

I think I did find a solution though. I play my video in VLC on my TV. VNC has a setting where you can direct the audio output to the TV. 

My windows audio setting was set to PC speaker as default. I fired up a game on my monitor and the sound came through the PC speakers, while the video audio played through the TV speakers.

As I typed this I realized my R9 290 graphics card must have a audio processor, a Google search confirmed it so this must be why it works. So basically as you said you need 2 soundcards.

Thanks for the help

Are you using Windows 7?

Right Click the sound icon in the tray

You can't pick and choose which applications sounds go where without getting really advanced and using software such as Virtual Audio Cable and mixers but you can Set Default and switch between laptop and TV at will.

Cheers mate, luckily I found a solution see my reply above.. Thanks for the help

Archived