IGNORED

Black Screen of Death

kansuwan

Elderly Acer Aspire; Win 7.  One battery replacement, but no other problems.  Used heavily for work and surfing.  AVG 2014 and spybot loaded to keep the devil at bay; automatic back-up to external HDD.

Switched on this morning -> black screen with caption 'No operating system found' in top left corner;

Switched off;

Switched back on and pressed F2 to enter 'Set Up'.  Told it to go to default mode;

.....which worked and all seems well now.

But can any 'puter pros tell me why it happened, thin end of an imminent total collapse etc?

Thanks

HDD

Dell have blue screen death.

starts this way- can run it protected mode- but soon.... kapooooooof.

Hard to say sounds like a software (windows problem) get a windows disk for your version if it is windows so you can do a repair cheap in Thailand

Course may be wrong if you transport a lot may be a loose connection somewhere inside unplug / replug (hard drive and memory ram )

Often seen this when an improper shut down means you held the close button instead of letting shut down properly.

Main thing is you have a back up so take the chance and check it is actual..

Would not see as the end of computer happens the odd time

Regards

mrjd

PS: Being in Thailand overheating can be a problem with dirty fans(cooling system) inside the machine unlikely though just a thought

Thanks to all - I'll bookmark this and report any recurrences. 

mrjdd -

*Bought pre-loaded with legitimate Win7;

*Unlikely to be overheating - lap-top always sits on an external cooler (cheap as chips from Big C); 

*Always shut down rather than put into sleep/hibernate at the end of sessions; 

*Travels with me monthly from the north to/from BKK, but in a Belkin bag - never dropped;

*Password protected boot - no household fiddlers.

DavieDuke -

*Re AVG - I should have added that my AVG is the free download version; updates itself and no apparent slow-downs as a result.

*Intel Core i3 processor with 4GB ram. 

Elderly Acer Aspire

'No operating system found'

Based on the above I'd make sure my data is backed up. There are several cost-effective cloud methods for doing that. 

An ailing backup computer, which I haven't spared the time/money to fix yet, sometimes returns messages like "No operating system found". When it gets to that point I boot with the Windows install disk, do a reinstall (ie replace missing/corrupt files) and it works for awhile. So far the data folders are not affected. Your system may be on it's final legs. Good luck. 

Thanks to all - I'll bookmark this and report any recurrences. 

mrjdd -

*Bought pre-loaded with legitimate Win7;

*Unlikely to be overheating - lap-top always sits on an external cooler (cheap as chips from Big C); 

*Always shut down rather than put into sleep/hibernate at the end of sessions; 

*Travels with me monthly from the north to/from BKK, but in a Belkin bag - never dropped;

*Password protected boot - no household fiddlers.

DavieDuke -

*Re AVG - I should have added that my AVG is the free download version; updates itself and no apparent slow-downs as a result.

*Intel Core i3 processor with 4GB ram. 

Is your AVG also running Watchdog?

In my case, it happened to me when I used to play online games due to heating issues with my old GTX 285 Graphic Card till I bought a new AMD Sapphire r9 280x toxic addition . I believe it's an nVidia problem. In a matter of a fact there is not a single straight answer to the problem on nVidia official website.

It's hard to make reasonable assesments without the make and model of the PC.  Like going to a mechanics and saying my car is playing up - What Car?

No OS found could be for a multiple of reasons either software (OS or some drivers corrupt) or hardware (HDD needs to be removed and firmly reconnected or RAM failing (causing DATA corruption issues)).

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%27No+operating+system+found%27&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox&channel=nts&gfe_rd=cr&ei=-bEmVOC5H-LC8geF0oCgAw

Post back the make and model otherwise there is just a lot of "pissing in the wind" and the blowback splash can be messy.

No OS found can be because your OS corrupted, the drive is failing, or the controller on the mobo.  The 1st 2 are the most likely.  Back up everything you ant to dave and re install Win7.  If that doesn't fix it the next step is getting new drive and installing. ( under $100 USD )  failing that if it is truly and older machine time to think about a new one. A replacment mobo will likely set you back over half of what your machine is worth IF you can find one and some one to do the work.

Archived