Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Opey De Place - Guest nationality restriction by hotel.

Lord Necros

That's because you are not at the receiving end.

Honestly, this topic has been done to death. Obnoxious people exist across nationalities. The open minded get it, the bigoted try to justify.

Enough said.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I understand that it is not nice to be on the receiving end of this kind of thing and yes I have been at the wrong end of it, however I don't let it get to me, I just walk away and shrug my shoulders because my money will be spent somewhere else. If anything when this happened to me I felt more ashamed that people from the country that I was born in and is my home caused so much trouble that they would not allow me in because I was from that country.

And on another note just because someone has a different opinion than you it doesn't make them a bigot

The judge has spoken and passed judgement

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that it is not nice to be on the receiving end of this kind of thing and yes I have been at the wrong end of it, however I don't let it get to me, I just walk away and shrug my shoulders because my money will be spent somewhere else. If anything when this happened to me I felt more ashamed that people from the country that I was born in and is my home caused so much trouble that they would not allow me in because I was from that country.

And on another note just because someone has a different opinion than you it doesn't make them a bigot

Really? What nationality are you? 

I can see some mongering hotels banning russians, as you dont want russian families staying next door to a guy fucking a bargirl and her screaming all night lol

Exactly what I stated earlier. That is what I like in Thailand. They are free to ban any nationality if they feel punters are bad for the business..

eikiitos.jpg

We make a big issue out of racism, the Thais don't, I doubt they even understand what we're on about.

In Thailand everybody gets discriminated: white people, black people, Japanese, Cambodians, Issaan Thais, Bangkok Thais, poor people, etc. They do it openly and everybody seems to accept it. Not saying it's right, just saying it's the way they deal with people, they do not have issues about it, they don't feel bad about it and they don't think or care about it.

On a side note, mate of mine stayed at opey's last Christmas, said rooms are exactly the same as 5 years ago, no maintenance and the staff was not very friendly. Plenty of places that offer better value for money.

One thing is sure. If it's about Thai OR Farang/Farang Nam they always choose Thai first. Another thing I like about Thailand. Western socities always choose foreigners first, which is fucked up IMHO.

I call it making a business decision

A business decision. Similar to making the blacks stand in the back of the bus while white folks sat in the front - because that way the bus company could get white people to use the bus at all?

Anyway, not gonna argue racism with someone on the net. Its a hefty topic and people have their own opinions.

Just wanted to update the thread with the reply from Agoda. I raised a support ticket with them complaining about this specific feature. This is what I got:

Greeting from Agoda.com !

Thank you for your email.

Please note that this hotel operates exclusive contracts with other vendors to service specific markets and 
thus these rates do not apply to nationals of Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Should you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Agoda Customer Support Team

So overall this sounds less ominous and more in line with what some other members suggested (tie up with tour operators?).

Or it just may be the PC/manager talk explanation for this feature.

Either way, I will not be using this hotel.

There are far better options for me to use.

And I will be using booking.com more often.

A business decision. Similar to making the blacks stand in the back of the bus while white folks sat in the front - because that way the bus company could get white people to use the bus at all?

It's just not the same. Discrimination about the skin color is not the same as discrimination about the fucked up stupid unpleasant  peasant behaviour.

I noticed you can book direct on that hotel's website. It would be interesting if you could get a private booking there with Indian nationality. I can't try as I am not Indian. 

It's just not the same. Discrimination about the skin color is not the same as discrimination about the fucked up stupid unpleasant  peasant behaviour.

You are making the same comparison either black or nationality. not all indians or some nationalities shall be same hence do not generalize for your convenience. Now what's happening most of Walking Street or soi 16 lost to arabs and may be few more areas. if more and more people are discreminated they would come out with their own areas may be not best but serving their interest. let's all mongers be a community irrrespective of nationality to serve our interest rather than played out by some one

In spite of travelling to LOS and staying in Pattaya never thought about staying in this palce and would not in future. I do agree there are so many other places that would welcome you and may possibly better - forget and get along

This topic again.  :SoWhat1:   Been discussed a couple times before on the forum (1)(2), and always the same cries of "OMG RACISM":rolleyes:

As Lord Necros has found out from Agoda, this is done because certain booking services and hotel groups have exclusive contracts with travel companies in people's home countries, which specify that all people from that country have to book through the home country travel company or pay the same rate as the travel company would charge. They're not intending to be 'racist', just abiding by the contracts they have signed with Indian (for example) travel companies. The booker or hotel gets guaranteed occupancy, the travel company gets to charge above-market prices, it's a win-win for them both. Or they establish different pricing structures for different markets, depending on your location.

Not try to thread fuck but there does seem to be a lack of understanding of prejudice, discrimination and racism. They are 3 very different things. I have had different jobs where I have been accused of being racist so many times it becomes boring and realisation that it is a weak person who throws the word racist around just to try and muddy the argument

I've even witnessed a guy after being caught by a drug dog with a huge bag of weed accuse the dog of being racist

The judge has spoken and passed judgement

i know. I am booking another hotel.

These people surely have the right to do as they wish at their hotel, but I can at least call them out on it.

I consider myself well traveled (at least in western countries) but this is the first place where I have seen hotels where Indians are not allowed.

and this feature is apparently sanctioned by agoda too.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but It just feels humiliating.  :(

i think u are correct in being pissed off.

Not try to thread fuck but there does seem to be a lack of understanding of prejudice, discrimination and racism. They are 3 very different things. I have had different jobs where I have been accused of being racist so many times it becomes boring and realisation that it is a weak person who throws the word racist around just to try and muddy the argument

I've even witnessed a guy after being caught by a drug dog with a huge bag of weed accuse the dog of being racist

Not sure your argument makes any sense in this context. This guy was booking a hotel for fucks sake ... When he got a response about a restriction based on nationality, he questioned it and also politely backed off when he realized it wasn't perhaps racist ... Is it weak to lash out against unfairness ?

I believe many are not "absorbing" the content of the thread, the contractual limitation negotiated with certain tour providers is "racist" only in the fact the tour providers are trying to ensure exclusivity, it is what is outlawed in many countries as a "restrictive practice".  The situation has been explained and having spent some time in the soi I believe I have seen all nations in traffic to and from this hotel. There are many restrictions placed by accommodation suppliers and entertainment venues, here in the UK and for many accommodation suppliers throughout Europe they will not book all female or male bookings, is this "sexist". In many Asian countries a westerner will not be admitted to " karaoke bars" that are not for "Caucasians", lucky enough I have "blagged" my way in and been amazed by what I experienced.

I believe many are not "absorbing" the content of the thread, the contractual limitation negotiated with certain tour providers is "racist" only in the fact the tour providers are trying to ensure exclusivity, it is what is outlawed in many countries as a "restrictive practice".  The situation has been explained and having spent some time in the soi I believe I have seen all nations in traffic to and from this hotel. There are many restrictions placed by accommodation suppliers and entertainment venues, here in the UK and for many accommodation suppliers throughout Europe they will not book all female or male bookings, is this "sexist". In many Asian countries a westerner will not be admitted to " karaoke bars" that are not for "Caucasians", lucky enough I have "blagged" my way in and been amazed by what I experienced.

What do you think? That people are actually reading the posts before replying? :LOL2:

yes andy666 a bit naïve and sad, many just like to react and obviously I am spending far to much time on the forum 5 weeks since last trip and 9 till next, I am in that "limbo" many call "pattaya blues", life at home is depressing and work is. I cannot describe the situation.

yes andy666 a bit naïve and sad, many just like to react and obviously I am spending far to much time on the forum 5 weeks since last trip and 9 till next, I am in that "limbo" many call "pattaya blues", life at home is depressing and work is. I cannot describe the situation.

What date? 23th is my last night

Sorry andy666 do not arrive till 28th Nov, I am also disappointed although you may not class it as "heavy metal" I love bars with bands where I happily tip to get my favourite Pattaya tunes played many of which are Guns n Roses. I also notice you are a Singha drinker, have a great trip and would like to hear your "on the ground" experience.

In regards to jpmelville's photo, I seem to remember a bar on beach rd just before walking st.

That had a similar notice.

jeff.

This happens in Europe too and it's usually based on bad experiences with a certain nationality. In Prague many budget hotels won't allow people from Denmark to book a room. This is due to the fact that a couple of years ago a bunch of danish high school kids trashed/destroyed a large portion of these hotels... To this day many people in Prague are weary of Danish people...

Not sure your argument makes any sense in this context. This guy was booking a hotel for fucks sake ... When he got a response about a restriction based on nationality, he questioned it and also politely backed off when he realized it wasn't perhaps racist ... Is it weak to lash out against unfairness ?

Dont think anyone is saying it is weak to lash out against unfairness.   What is being said is why is the first thing some jump to is that it is racism or why is it that when people try to offer another point of view they are called racist. 

Dont think anyone is saying it is weak to lash out against unfairness.   What is being said is why is the first thing some jump to is that it is racism or why is it that when people try to offer another point of view they are called racist. 

exactly. It's more than annoying and childish and, frankly, denotes the term racism.

Basically, most people (incl. the OP) don't really seem to know what the term racism actually means and use it as a cheap way to be immune to any feedback.

Racism means prejudice and discrimination based on social perceptions of biological differences between peoples (peoples, not nations). Nothing to do with nationalities. That would then be then national discrimination.

When you say RACISM, you will be instant winner in the discussion. It's like a Hitler card nowadays

Archived