IGNORED

Opey De Place - Guest nationality restriction by hotel.

Lord Necros

So I was trying to book a room at this hotel using Agoda when i got this message:

"Guest nationality restriction by hotel."

Seriously?

I hope it is just some idiocy at work rather than good ole racism, but either way Opey De Place can shove it.

I can take my money to some other place which wouldn't be offended by it.

Fucking pricks.agoda.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was trying to book a room at this hotel using agoda when i got this message:

"Guest nationality restriction by hotel."

Seriously?

I hope it is just some idiocy at work rather than good ole racism, but either way Opey De Place can shove it.

I can take my money to some other place which wouldn't be offended by it.

Don't be offended. Just book the other hotel. They have set the restriction, because they can. No Western anti-discrimination laws in Thailand. They can protect their business and restrict all the nationalities they wish.

i know. I am booking another hotel.

These people surely have the right to do as they wish at their hotel, but I can at least call them out on it.

I consider myself well traveled (at least in western countries) but this is the first place where I have seen hotels where Indians are not allowed.

and this feature is apparently sanctioned by Agoda too.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but It just feels humiliating.  :(

The issue is with Agoda for even supporting this with their software. They should not service any  hotels with racist policies like that.

Welcome to Thailand!

I don't think Thais are aware of racism/discrimination, they just call it "common sense" and use it on a daily basis.

I assume Agoda has no power over hotel policies, so they either have to withhold info that could lead to conflicts or cooperate in racism. Curious about Agodas reply.

Agoda has the power to not list racist hotels. Money talks. Racism isn't common sense. It is just racism. Yes Thailand is Thailand. But when "welcoming" international visitors, that's a different story. 

I assume agoda has no power over hotel policies, so they either have to withhold info that could lead to conflicts or cooperate in racism. Curious about Agodas reply.

Interestingly, booking the same hotel from bookings2hotels doesnt gives me this issue. It is only in Agoda.

It is clearly a feature Agoda added to the hotel details page which was made use of by the overzealous hotel manager.

Racism isn't common sense. It is just racism. Yes Thailand is Thailand. But when "welcoming" international visitors, that's a different story. 

So you think they have that restriction just for fun or they just want to be a racist hotel? You think they have had no problems with certain nationality customers in the past?  I don't mind if some hotel restricts my nationality. I then know my fellow countrymen have behaved badly there, apologize and move to the next hotel. Plenty of choice around Pattaya.

Here in Finland some dudes were penalized because they yelled racism for the cops. There were no racism and yelling it is just a way to deny the ill behaviour most of the times and effort to get away from it with no penalty. Another dudes did the same thing after attacking the ticket inpector in the subway when travelling without the ticket. They did not get away with that without the penalty.

More you yell the racism in every occasion, more the general public will ignore it and get very suspicious with every event there is suspected racism involved.

Just forget it and move on.

Its probably got to do with some exclusive contracts with tour group companies from India than racism ... .I think ..I had read about this sometime back ... Perhaps on this board .. Not sure though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

They are denying people based on nationality and no other fair and objective criteria. India is a very big country with a very big population. So everyone from India is bound to cause a problem? 

Its probably got to do with some exclusive contracts with tour group companies from India than racism ... .I think ..I had read about this sometime back ... Perhaps on this board .. Not sure though

That doesn't make any sense. Talking about an independent booking here. No competition for tour group bookings. 

That doesn't make any sense. Talking about an independent booking here. No competition for tour group bookings.

I am only restating what I vaguely remember reading here or in another forum ... I frankly did not go into the technicality

They are denying people based on nationality and no other fair and objective criteria. India is a very big country with a very big population. So everyone from India is bound to cause a problem? 

What is the acceptable and objective criteria for you to deny some punters? Shoe size? If there is enough problems, they will ban your nationality. Same goes for a gogos and massage joints etc. If you don't like it, go somewhere else than LOS. They will not change anywhere soon.

i had similar issues while booking flipper house through Agoda in march 2013. then when i tried while direct with hotel, i got the booking. but i will certainly say that even the hotel did discrimination and when i tried to book again directly with the reception in the next week after returning back from Bkk. they denied and said no rooms and at the same time did offer three rooms to a Norwegian friend of mine...

What is the acceptable and objective criteria for you to deny some punters? Shoe size? If there is enough problems, they will ban your nationality. Same goes for a gogos and massage joints etc. If you don't like it, go somewhere else than LOS. They will not change anywhere soon.

The criteria would be blacklisting specific people who have behaved badly. Not entire nationalities. 

I know it will not change. But no reason to drop your values just because you visit or live in Thailand. I definitely want to see what Agoda says because they are indeed cooperating with this policy. 

ive read /heard of this before with Agoda

it appears that some hotels have exclusive contracts with travel agencies from certain countries, only allowing them to take bookings from that country through said agency, so stopping anyone from that country booking through Agoda.

this sort of thing is quite common in the travel industry, in the UK for instance Thomas cook will have contracts taking all rooms in hotels allowing them exclusivity for their package tours.

that was the answer that Agoda gave, now whether its true or Agoda are just using this as an excuse to cover up a hotels racist policy I don't know, the only thing I do know is that a big company like Agoda wouldn't leave itself open to the accusation of racism and possible legal action without covering their arse.

I stayed in a hotel once and there was an Indian guy stay in a room next door. Except there was always about 4 guys in there, and always talking loud at best. It was more like shouting competition! 

It was very annoying and i was glad when they went!

Perhaps this happens a lot, and courses more problems than it is worth.

Could be the hotel has had problems with certain nationalities over an extended period of time and has now decided that nationality as a whole is not worth the amount of business they generate to the amount of problems they cause

The judge has spoken and passed judgement

it appears that some hotels have exclusive contracts with travel agencies from certain countries, only allowing them to take bookings from that country through said agency, so stopping anyone from that country booking through agoda.

this sort of thing is quite common in the travel industry, in the UK for instance Thomas cook will have contracts taking all rooms in hotels allowing them exclusivity for their package tours.

I checked all the reviews from Tripadvisor. No reviews from the Indian punters so I'm not sure if this is a correct answer why they don't want any bookings from India. Reviews were not very good after all. I would not book this hotel anyways. Many cheaper and better places very near around this place.

Could be the hotel has had problems with certain nationalities over an extended period of time and has now decided that nationality as a whole is not worth the amount of business they generate to the amount of problems they cause

That is called a racism nowadays... :Think1:

That is called a racism nowadays... :Think1:

I call it making a business decision

The judge has spoken and passed judgement

I call it making a business decision

That's because you are not at the receiving end.

Honestly, this topic has been done to death. Obnoxious people exist across nationalities. The open minded get it, the bigoted try to justify.

Enough said.

+1..........................not just hotel,s many massage parlours discriminate also-their business-up to them :Think1:

Archived