IGNORED

SuperSight Surgery?

Fordtech

Thanks for bringing it up Ford. We are coming over in November for 6 weeks and will look into it. It's one of the better hospitals around too. I'm taking the Boss their for an interview for nose reduction in mid November. She wants to look more like a Filipina and not a Westerner.

https://www.bangkokp...-center-en.html

I was wondering in any one has had the SuperSight surgery done in Pattaya?

To be honest, this is not the type of medical procedure I would have done in LOS. I would want this done in the West. I had a colonoscopy done in LOS and was pleased with the professional work. I would also be willing to have dental and dermatological work done there. However, that is as far as i would go for medical care in LOS. Something as sensitive as Lasik should not be done there. There is too much danger of something going wrong.

To be honest, this is not the type of medical procedure I would have done in LOS. I would want this done in the West. I had a colonoscopy done in LOS and was pleased with the professional work. I would also be willing to have dental and dermatological work done there. However, that is as far as i would go for medical care in LOS. Something as sensitive as Lasik should not be done there. There is too much danger of something going wrong.

I know another guy who had it done by the same doctor  - he is 70 and sees perfectly

I am not sure this procedure is available in the West

Its worth a visit the consultation is free and worst case you get a free eye test

I know another guy who had it done by the same doctor  - he is 70 and sees perfectly

Its worth a visit the consultation is free and worst case you get a free eye test

Do you know where he had it done and what was the approx cost.Thank you

Lasik is quite common in the US. Don't know about the UK.

Lasik is quite common in the US. Don't know about the UK.

Lasik is also in the UK but does it deal with BOTH short and near sighted or just one or the other - SS as described above deals with both and gives near on 20/20 vision

Lasik is also in the UK but does it deal with BOTH short and near sighted or just one or the other - SS as described above deals with both and gives near on 20/20 vision

My understanding is that with US lasik, you will still need reading glasses, but not contacts.

Had Lasik done in 2001 and consider it money well spent. At that time, and I believe it to still be the case, to achieve correction for both distance and reading with Lasik requires they correct one eye for distance and the other for reading. After an adjustment period the brain learns to adapt to the correction difference between the two eyes.

SuperSight is lens replacement surgery, the Lasik only comes into play if correction for astigmatism is required.

For those considering the procedure, the key question is to ask for the surgeon's procedure stats. That should give you an idea of his/her's success rate. Also research the specific brand/model of the laser and lens replacement used. Back in 2001 there was quite a difference in quality between the various lasers on the market, and it was eye opening (pun intended) to learn just how bad some of the equipment was.

My understanding is that with US lasik, you will still need reading glasses, but not contacts.

Well there is the difference - with this surgery no glasses, no contacts, no nothing - and furthermore when another friend looked into this there were almost no bad reviews - which would surely come out - after all farangs in Pattaya moan about the smallest of things

Same place as in the link in the first post and the cost is around 200 - 220k baht

Sorry I missed it I got that excited when I saw the post I nearly had a bowel movement and was more worried about shitting myself than reading.I am going to go back now and read properly now that the danger has passed,thanks for your help

Well there is the difference - with this surgery no glasses, no contacts, no nothing - and furthermore when another friend looked into this there were almost no bad reviews - which would surely come out - after all farangs in Pattaya moan about the smallest of things

I have to think that if this surgery was really safe it would already be available in the West.

He is marketing cataract surgery for patients without cataracts. Not only is that available in the west, cataract surgery is probably the most common surgical procedure in the west. Cataract surgery is in general a very safe procedure anywhere you go. Cataract surgery involves removing the clouded lens and replacing with an artificial one. You can also take out a healthy lens and improve vision with an artificial lens, same procedure without cataracts. There are choices about what kind of lens to use. You can choose high end ones that have have multiple focus for different purposes or the more traditional single one. With that you generally need glasses for reading or perhaps driving and computer work. So again basically this Supersight is a marketing thing ... surgery for people without the actual medical need for the surgery. Using a high end multifocus lens with the usual goal to eliminate any need for glasses. But that result can't be guaranteed. 

My only comment about this local option is that the price does seem quite high for Thailand but the lens is expensive.

I agree the price seems very high but will look into it also. I have a friend who had it done like 6 years ago in Bangkok and is now almost 70 and he has perfect vision. 

Moderator on PiAtNight and Living the Dream in Angeles City, Philippines :)

I am presently going through the process at BHP cost is 110k baht per eye but I am using a restor mulifocal lens from the U.S. that costs about 60k per lens. I have had the left lens replaced and am presently recovering.

Posted Image

I am presently going through the process at BHP cost is 110k baht per eye but I am using a restor mulifocal lens from the U.S. that costs about 60k per lens. I have had the left lens replaced and am presently recovering.

Interesting. Are you using the famous Dr. Somchai or another eye doc there? Best of luck with your procedures. 

I am using Dr Sawang who did a lot of his studies in the US. Seems like a good guy. The important thing with the surgery is patience and time. I had my left lens replaced and after 2 months they will do lasik on the eye to correct astigmatism. My right eye will more than likely be completed in about 2 weeks.

Posted Image

I am using Dr Sawang who did a lot of his studies in the US. Seems like a good guy. The important thing with the surgery is patience and time. I had my left lens replaced and after 2 months they will do lasik on the eye to correct astigmatism. My right eye will more than likely be completed in about 2 weeks.

Thanks. So it sounds like you are happy so far. Do you have cataracts or are you doing this lens replacement without cataracts? 

Had Lasik done in 2001 and consider it money well spent. At that time, and I believe it to still be the case, to achieve correction for both distance and reading with Lasik requires they correct one eye for distance and the other for reading. After an adjustment period the brain learns to adapt to the correction difference between the two eyes.

Had the same thing about 5 yrs ago. The principle is called monovision. once your brain recalibrates, its works very well. 

Thanks. So it sounds like you are happy so far. Do you have cataracts or are you doing this lens replacement without cataracts?

So far so good yes cataracts led me down this road

Posted Image

So far so good yes cataracts led me down this road

Glad to hear it.

Often people say it's best to go to Bangkok, specifically Rutnin for eye surgery. 

Archived