Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

A Week in Chiang Mai

Piece Corp

Nice photos thanks for taking time, stayed at Raming Lodge myself and really enjoyed the area. Some people have posted on previous topicS that there is not a lot going on, which i never understood as I always had plenty to do there. Hopefullly your photos show the plenty of bars that are about if you look

Big

IS Raming Lodge tru to its name, Guest Friendly?

Edited by Laid Back Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the Trip Report, nice to see some familiar places from my previous 4 trips.

@ Laid Back Larry, the Raming Lodge is girl friendly

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great TR.

Can you let us know the going rate of freelancers?

Someone else will have to answer this one as I skipped Bubbles and Spicy, but I had a great time and plan on returning in the next month or two.

Retired

Another post of nice places to go in Chiangmai.

thanks for the sharing of these places. :GoldenSmile1:

• 4 weeks later...

attachicon.gifDSC_4436.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3939.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_5674.jpg

"The Rose of the North", the hub of northern Thailand, 5th largest city in the kingdom.  It had been over a decade since I was here, brought a girl from Nana Plaza and we did an elephant camp, river rafting, visited an orchid farm.  I rented a car and we drove up the mountain to Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep, then visited the nearby Bhuping Royal Palace and the ultra-touristy hilltribe village.

I went alone this trip, staying at the Raming Lodge on Loi Kroh, just a block outside the moat in the southeast section of the city.  A deluxe room included airport pick-up and in-room wifi. 

attachicon.gifDSC_3721.jpg

The hotel was a 10 minute walk to the night bazaar and I thought it had a nice mongering sound to it.  There were several beer bars along Loi Kroh with friendly ladies.

attachicon.gifDSC_5748.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3935.jpg

Halfway to the night bazaar is the Chaing Mai Entertainment Complex (CMEC), a cluster of about 30 bars surrounding a boxing ring.  Not exactly a hotbed for stunners but girls were only asking 1500 LT.

attachicon.gifDSC_4122.jpg

GO GO Bars

Adjacent the beer bar complex is Star XiX

attachicon.gifDSC_4116.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_4118.jpg

You climb the stairs and pay 150 baht for a drink coupon before entering.  They do it this way after losing so many potential customers that entered the bar and left without buying a drink.  Get the picture?

Slightly better is Spotlight, on Kotcasarn, facing the moat.  Three girls on stage wearing bikinis, Chevas Regal 140 baht.

attachicon.gifDSC_5642.jpg

The best of the lot was Foxy Lady, across the street from the Dusit D2 hotel.  Long Island Iced Tea: 240 baht, more conventional drinks about half.

attachicon.gifDSC_4205.jpg

Next: Live Music

Wow, this is exactly the places I went in CM just by wandering around (in 2012). Glad I didn't miss anything. And actually I had a wonderfully wild time at Star Xix, though the stunners were ALL at Foxy Lady.

file:///Users/skyloaf/Downloads/11421570_10153106156963075_609919087_n.jpg

Purple Haze all in my eyes, don't know if it's day or night,
you've got me blowing, blowing my mind
is it tomorrow or just the end of time?
   -- Jimi Hendrix

Farmers burn off the rice fields every spring and this creates a serious health problem.  Heart attacks spike during this time and a few thousand people with respiratory problems end up in the hospital. Amazingly, this happens every spring! The city desperately needs RAIN to help clear the air but the forecast calls for 40 degrees every day with no rain until next week. 

Booked the Yindee Stylish Guesthouse for 1100, in the backpacker area just off Rathwith, around the corner from the Chaing Mai Saloon and UN Irish Pub.

DSC_8867.jpg

The UN Irish Pub was featuring a buffet for St. Paddy's Day.  Drink just 8 pints of Guinness and get a free hat.  Such a deal!

DSC_8868.jpg

Headed over to Wat Chedi Luang to capture a few snaps before sundown.

DSC_8916.jpg

DSC_8875.jpg

DSC_8881.jpg

DSC_8887.jpg

DSC_8895.jpg

DSC_8896.jpg

Paused for dinner at La Fourchette, Pumpkin Soup (90 baht), confit de canard in rhubarb brandy (480 baht) with an Irish Coffee (220 baht) to commemorate the occasion.

DSC_8921.jpg

Retired

This is a very useful resource. Thank you PieceCorp for putting it together.

I am wondering if someone can suggest other hotels or apartment rentals in CM? Doesn't mind if it is a bit more expensive than Raming Lodge. Thanks in advance for any help.

^^ There's a Shangri-La and a Holiday Inn on the river, and a Dusit near the Foxy Lady, but I don't have personal experience at these places.

Last fall, when I stayed at the Raming Lodge, Loi Kroh road was dead by midnight.  Quite a contrast to the Zoe in Yellow Garden, which was jamming at 1 AM.  Maybe it was just for St. Paddy's Day, but I got the feeling every night was St. Paddy's Day!

DSC_8957.jpg

DSC_8961.jpg

DSC_8969.jpg

DSC_8971.jpg

DSC_8978.jpg

DSC_8982.jpg

DSC_8979.jpg

DSC_8951.jpg

DSC_8983.jpg

DSC_8990.jpg

Retired

More Attractions

Wat Phra That Doi Suthep

Founded in 1393, about a 20-25 minute drive up the Soi Suthep mountain.  It can offer some great views of the city but you can't see anything in the spring.  Fortunately, there's a tram so you don't have to climb the 309 steps to the top.  Lots of great stuff here.  Pagodas, statues, drums, bells, and the copper plated chedi. 

DSC_9034.jpg

DSC_9040.jpg

DSC_9049.jpg

DSC_9061.jpg

DSC_9062.jpg

DSC_9067.jpg

DSC_9093.jpg

DSC_9107.jpg

DSC_9113.jpg

DSC_9125.jpg

Museum of World Insects and Natural Wonders

A small house converted into a museum, conveniently located around the corner from Wat Chedi Luang.  Admission 100 baht.  There's a much larger version of this museum somewhere else in town that might be more worthwhile.  I wasn't too impressed with this abbreviated version but I'm not really into bugs.

DSC_8997.jpg

DSC_3973.jpg

Night Safari

Opened in 2006, the world's 3rd nocturnal zoo (others in Singapore and Guangzhou, China) and very popular with Chinese tourists.  It's basically a zoo with a layout similar to a theme park with three main areas.  Jaguar Trail is a 1.2 km walking trail around Swan Lake.  Visitors can view a Tiger Show and a choreographed Water Fountain show, then tour the other areas via tram.  Savanna Safari Zone has Rhinos, Hyenas, Lions, Cheetahs, Giraffes, Ostriches, Zebras, and even Kangaroos whereas the Predator Prowl Zone has Tigers, Lions,  Vultures, Wolves, Wolves, Black Bears and Crocodiles.

DSC_9174.jpg

DSC_9184.jpg

DSC_9192.jpg

DSC_9213.jpg

DSC_9257.jpg

DSC_9273.jpg

DSC_9276.jpg

DSC_9281.jpg

Retired

I spent Saturday night at my favorite Chaing Mai bar, the North Gate Jazz Co-op, enjoying a cocktail I'd heard of but had never tried before. The drink is a variant of the Long Island Iced Tea, but instead of triple sec and splash of coke, this variation uses pineapple juice and Blue Curacao liqueur. Otherwise, all the other ingredients are the same: Gin, Vodka, Tequila, and White Rum. The drink is called Adios Motherfucker. 140 baht and highly recommended.

DSC_9365.jpg

DSC_9375.jpg

DSC_9399.jpg

DSC_9409.jpg

Edited by Piece Corp

Retired

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday Market

Not quite as popular as Sunday Walking Street Market, on Wualai Road just south of the old city, from 5 to 10 PM. 

DSC_9342.jpg

DSC_9338.jpg

DSC_9343.jpg

DSC_9424.jpg

DSC_9428.jpg

I didn't spend much time on Loi Kroh this trip

DSC_9330.jpg

After a visit to the Sunday Walking Street Market, it's nice to veg-out with a Long Island Iced Tea at the THC Rooftop Bar near the Tapae Gate and enjoy some views of the city.

DSC_9432.jpg

DSC_9435.jpg

DSC_9436.jpg

DSC_9437.jpg

DSC_9440.jpg

DSC_9445.jpg

After Chiang Mai, a trip to Pai

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/265870-pai/

DSC_9448.jpg

• Like 2

Retired

• 2 weeks later...

Cool report, I'm heading up to CM on Monday to catch some of the Songkran fun.

Last time I stayed at the Holiday Inn, it is old and a bit run down, but you can catch the Korean air hostesses at the bar.

• Like 1

:) bangkok - 2 months :D chiang mai - 5 months :P pattaya - 6 trips and counting 
ผมไม่พูดภาษาไทย...ไม่เป็นไร!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos from my first visit to Chiang Mai in 2003, scanned from old film.  I rented a car and we drove up Doi Suthep

n029.jpg

n031.jpg

n032.jpg

Beyond the Wat there's Bhuping Royal Palace

n011.jpg

n019.jpg

Even further is a hilltribe village where opium poppies grew on the hill side, to be used in tribal medicines.

n005.jpg

n006.jpg

n010.jpg

We also visited an Elephant farm where the animals played one-on-one and shot hoops

n055.jpg

n045.jpg

n051.jpg

n046.jpg

n047.jpg

n050.jpg

n042.jpg

Finally, we visited an Orchid Farm and Mo wore a perfectly matching outfit

n033.jpg

Edited by Piece Corp
  • Like 3

Retired

• 1 month later...

Nice pics. Think I'll need to go back next time I'm there in high season. I've seen most of the main attractions around CM itself but have still not made it to Doi Inthanon National Park or Mon Jam so ought to make a trip out there just to see those. Would like to see somewhere nearby too although not as far away as Pai or Mae Hong Son. Was thinking maybe Chiang Dao.

• 2 weeks later...

So were are best discos to pick up freelancers?

Edited by vincent law

Vincent Law

• 5 months later...

So were are best discos to pick up freelancers?

I am Interessted too for my upcoming Trip in feb ? Any news ??

I am Interessted too for my upcoming Trip in feb ? Any news ??

Spicy Nightclub

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

Okay I ended going back in July/August. But i brought sand to the beach. This time around I will be going alone. Plan to hit the two main agogos. Btw anyone know the name of any soapy massage palour with hot girls? Never had one. It’s something I want to try.

Edited by vincent law

Vincent Law

Btw anyone know the name of any soapy massage palour with hot girls?

Ah, did you read the trip report? :Crazy1:

Retired

Thanks for posting.  Haven't been there in a few years but I used to visit friends there and I liked it.