IGNORED

iOS / iPhone update, tips, hints, help....

DaffyDuck

Screen-Shot-2014-09-18-at-19.52.23.png

I'm starting this thread uniquely for the purpose of discussion amongst iOS / iPhone / iPad users - to exchange information, tips, hints, suggestions and help, in particular with the current iOS 8 release and software update.

NOTE: This thread is not for android or others to express preferences. Please respect the thread for what it is, and if you want to talk about your platform of choice, please start your own thread.

I'll start off with some basics - i.e. which iOS devices are supported:

SUPPORTED DEVICES
If you have an iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s, you can install iOS 8 on it, albeit I would suggest that if you are on an iPhone 4s to hold off for a bit, as there are reports that performance is slightly slower on the 4s. You need to gauge if the features and functions gained are worth a slight performance hit.

Additionally, if you have an iPad, iOS 8 will update your 
iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPad mini Retina (as well as the iPod Touch 5G - the one that looks like a mini iPhone 6). Again, the same warning as for the iPhone 4s applies to the iPad 2.

DOING THE UDPATE

Regarding performing the update - the easiest way is to do an OTA (Over The Air) update, but your device needs to have a certain amount of free space available. If you have plenty of space, then just hit the update button, sit back and wait about 30-40 minutes (depending on your download speed).

It will tell you if it doesn't have the needed free space - in which case, your best bet is to run the update through iTunes. Plus in via USB, and clicking the UPDATE button usually is all you need to do -- BUT watch out. iTunes will attempt to backup your device, including transferring your purchases (so that it may restore them after the update).

If you do it that way, you may be required to enter all your email passwords after the RESTORE. 

Backup Tip: Avoid this, by manually performing a backup, and tick the checkbox to encrypt your backup - it will ask you for a password (on the Mac you have the option of having the Mac remember the password in the keychain). Now, when you restore, it will also restore all your  passwords, saving you the hassles of doing it manually :-)

AFTER THE UPDATE - iCloud Drive!
​One of the features of iOS 8 is a new way to use iCloud, called iCloud Drive. iCloud Drive is awesome, and a great evolution of iCloud, BUT you need to be able to turn it on for ALL your devices, or the devices that don't have it turned on will loose access to Documents in your iCloud storage. (also called 'Documents & Data). 

This is no big deal if you only have iPhones, iPads or iPod Touch devices. It *IS* a problem if you have a Mac, as this feature requires OS X 10.10 "Yosemite", which won't be available until October 21st. If this applies to you, hold off on activating iCloud Drive (it does not activate by default).

If this doesn't apply to you, or you don't use iCloud Documents & Data, then no worries.

AFTER THE UPDATE - iCloud Keychain!
The iOS 8 update also turns off your iCloud Keychain (and awesome feature) and you will need to re-enable it after the update, which involves authenticating the activation via other devices (usually your iPhone).

That's it for now. I'll continue adding more tips, hints, and things to look for later.

I'm loving it on my iPad Retina and iPhone 5 - very smooth once the Spotlight database is finished building.  One thing - if you're a Tunnelbear user, iOS has some significant changes to VPN. Download the Tunnelbear app, remove the old certificate in the VPN section and then reinstall it with the app. You'll be turning on VPN through the app now, not the Settings control panel (why? I'm waiting to hear back on that) and it can take a bit longer to get going...not sure if it's the app, the service or the new setup. Nonetheless, I was watching iPlayer and mirroring it to the AppleTV just like before...

I updated our iPad Air to iOS 8 yesterday. Did it over wifi, I think it needed 5.9GB of free space, just deleted some old TV shows and off it went. Very smooth process.

I don't see much of a difference although the custom keyboards look interesting. The wife says her games are looking better. Is it all in her head or does iOS 8 really do that? :)

No update for my phone though, I'm still on iPhone 4.

The best feature, so far, on iOS 8 has to be 'continuity' - which you activate by turning on a feature called 'Handoff' under your settings:

10495-2745-handoff-140916-l.png

This enables two awesome features:

- sms relay: now SMS' from non-iPhone users can also be received on your iPad, iPod Touch, and your Mac. Eligible devices will pop up a small message asking you if you want to use 'sms relay'.

- the same applies to regular phone calls as well. So when someone calls your iPhone, your iPad and Mac (and iPod Touch) will ring as well, and you can answer the call from those devices as well. You can also make phone calls, via the Contacts book, but doing so is not as easy as just dialing. A separate dialer app for those devices would be a great addition.

In addition, 'Continuity' also allow you to 'hand off' work on compatible apps - i.e. you can start something on one device, and then just pick up the other device, and find yourself at the exact same spot on the app on the device you picked up. 

NOTE: you need to make sure that the same account is attached to iMessage and FaceTime, as to your iCloud configuration, for those features to work.

More details on configurations and setups can be found over at AppleInsider:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/17/how-to-use-ios-8-continuity-between-your-iphone-ipad-for-calls-texts-apps-more

10495-2745-handoff-140916-l.png

That's interesting Nws - can you provide any specifics? Model of your iPad, capacity, etc? Any particular conditions under which this happens?

WHERE'S THE FRACKIN' CAMERA ROLL!!???

Now, with each new upgrade, there are some 'improvements' that I absolutely HATE and detest - this is one of them:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/19/goodbye-camera-roll-where-to-find-your-photos-in-ios-8

Camera Roll used to be one nice, central place to find all pictures generated on the device - No More!

Apple has 'improved' it away in favor of some merged atrocity of confusion. Idiocy!

Now, the nice parts are that there are now dedicated albums for panoramas, videos, slow-motion videos, etc... but gone is the easy way to just find all your pictures in one place.

Dumb. Pisses me off. How many of you are equally looking and not finding your pictures?

Good news for privacy advocates - while iOS in general implements good privacy policies by default, Apple has increased protection via encryption in iOS 8:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/17/apple-says-incapable-of-decrypting-user-data-with-ios-8-even-for-government-agencies

Apple says incapable of decrypting iOS 8 user data, even for government agencies

Among the privacy policies outlined by Apple in a new privacy policy webpage on Wednesday is an iOS 8 feature that makes it technically impossible for the company to decrypt a device to harvest user data, even if law enforcement agencies request it.

As noted by The Washington Post, iOS 8 marks a new, more aggressive stance in protecting customer data from prying eyes, as Apple engineered an encryption system even it is unable to break.

In a document (PDF link) meant to guide law enforcement officers in requesting user information, Apple notes that it no longer stores encryption keys for devices with iOS 8, meaning agencies are unable to gain access even with a valid search warrant. This includes data store on a physical device protected by a passcode, including photos, call history, contacts and more.

"Unlike our competitors, Apple cannot bypass your passcode and therefore cannot access this data," Apple said on its new webpage dedicated to privacy policies. "So it's not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8."

The safeguards do not apply to other services including iCloud, however, meaning any data stored offsite is fair game for government seizure. Still, the security implementation will likely be seen as a step in the right direction, especially given the current political climate following revelations of governmental "snooping" activities.

In an open letter to consumers posted on Apple's new privacy policies webpage, CEO Tim Cook reaffirmed the company's stance on personal data, saying the company does not allow server backdoors and only handles with legitimate requests backed by the proper authorities.

"I want to be absolutely clear that we have never worked with any government agency from any country to create a backdoor in any of our products or services," Cook wrote, adding, "We have also never allowed access to our servers. And we never will."

Let us know when you think IOS is ready for the 4S or vice versa please :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Well, Apple just had a disaster iOS 8.0.1 update (it would brick iPhone 6 models by disabling cellular radio and Touch ID - while it would work fine on older models).

As far as QC goes - absolutely unacceptable, and it would appear that a new position will be opening up at Apple before long - the woman in charge of 'bug free releases' (ha!) seems to have a history of having a temper, and she was also responsible of signing off on Apple Maps on iOS 6. 

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/22/kim-vorrath-bug-wrangler/

Just installed iOS 8 on my iPhone 5s and have problems with slow wifi. Seems to be a iOS centric problem as it happens on different access points and other devices are not affected.

Love the Swype keyboard though which I was used to earlier on my android phone..

9 people can't make a baby in one month

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like since I've upgraded to ios8 on my 4s, battery life has really declined.  I've been on a month to month for quite awhile. So not looking forward to upgrading and a new contract. Wish I hadn't upgraded on my phone.

No problems on my Ipad air though,

a) You can check under USAGE --> Battery Usage which apps are the ones using your battery.
b) The 4s is getting to an age where the battery is getting old, if you've used it continuously for 2-3 years.
c) You can perform some battery conditioning to restore some of the capacity
d) easiest to just replace the battery, particularly since you can get higher capacity batteries installed for about 800 Baht.

Great thread.

I have not updated yet on purpose. But i will in near future.

WHERE'S THE FRACKIN' CAMERA ROLL!!???

Now, with each new upgrade, there are some 'improvements' that I absolutely HATE and detest - this is one of them:http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/19/goodbye-camera-roll-where-to-find-your-photos-in-ios-8

Camera Roll used to be one nice, central place to find all pictures generated on the device - No More!

Apple has 'improved' it away in favor of some merged atrocity of confusion. Idiocy!

Now, the nice parts are that there are now dedicated albums for panoramas, videos, slow-motion videos, etc... but gone is the easy way to just find all your pictures in one place.

Dumb. Pisses me off. How many of you are equally looking and not finding your pictures?

Agree. Finding it much more difficult to find photos now. Also, My Photostream has disappeared and photos taken with my iPhone are no longer showing up on my iPad.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

You'll be happy to know that Camera Roll and Photostream are back in iOS 8.1

Either someone is eating crow at Apple, or they plan on removing it before release. They had better not.

Archived