IGNORED

Jolly Friar on Soi Lengkee Open Again

Evil Penevil

It said tilapia on the menu. There were three or four types of fish at different price points, ranging from 129 to 199 baht, if I remember right. Tilapia  was the "mid-range" option.  But they were then using the same menu as the previous owners and things may have changed by now.

Evil

Yes Mark & Mai have sourced new fish( Tilapia) as well as the usual Dory option, they are both putting their heart and soul back into rebuilding the Jolly Friars reputation, I notice the most recent reviews are very positive and I'm sure that will continue! 

Good too hear the JF has re-opened as was my regular restaurant haunt on Friday nts there before, so will give it a go when next there.

Plus will try Fry days too when up and around the New Plaza bars as not tried it yet and judging by the pics of the f n c's looks good value at 99bt??

Is the JF still going in Jomtien plaza or is there still Simons there??

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

It said tilapia on the menu. There were three or four types of fish at different price points, ranging from 129 to 199 baht, if I remember right. Tilapia  was the "mid-range" option.  But they were then using the same menu as the previous owners and things may have changed by now.

Evil

Sorry, I forgot, you did say Tilapia in your OP.

Basically, as I understand it they are all farmed river/pond/lake fish and as such they are rightly cheaper than Ocean caught.

I don't have a problem with that as long as people know what they're eating and it isn't passed off as something else (not saying that anyone mentioned here is doing that).

Apparently they're cheap enough to also find their way to  Australia and the West, as traditional Ocean fish become more scarce and more expensive.

I suspect I may have been sold some as Haddock in Scunthorpe Corby last week - it certainly wasn't Haddock.

Sorry, I forgot, you did say Tilapia in your OP. Basically, as I understand it they are all farmed river/pond/lake fish and as such they are rightly cheaper than Ocean caught.I don't have a problem with that as long as people know what they're eating and it isn't passed off as something else (not saying that anyone mentioned here is doing that). Apparently they're cheap enough to also find their way to  Australia and the West, as traditional Ocean fish become more scarce and more expensive.I suspect I may have been sold some as Haddock in Scunthorpe last week - it certainly wasn't Haddock.

When were you last in Scunthorpe Edge????

When were you last in Scunthorpe Edge????

Sorry, Scunthorpe was a Red Herring.

It was Corby - can't tell the difference sometimes - plenty of good F & C shops in Scunny.

On the Jolly Friar's outdoor specials' sign, it lists fish, chips and mushy peas in three variations:  John Dory white fish fillet at 149 baht; tilapia local white fish fillet at 169 b; and large (350 gram) Norwegian cod at 299 b.  There are also salmon steak and Norwegian cod burger options, plus beef stew and fisherman's pie.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

On the Jolly Friar's outdoor specials' sign, it lists fish, chips and mushy peas in three variations:  John Dory white fish fillet at 149 baht; tilapia local white fish fillet at 169 b; and large (350 gram) Norwegian cod at 299 b.  There are also salmon steak and Norwegian cod burger options, plus beef stew and fisherman's pie.

Evil

I stand to be corrected, but I think the "Norwegian" tag might have originated with the the Emborg imports from Makro used originally, which included Halibut.

Sadly that supply was cut off and that's when the quality and availability of Cod became a big problem.

Emborg is still very active in Thailand, but I see no fish, so is there another Norwegian importer or what (directed at China Garden really).

Good too hear the JF has re-opened as was my regular restaurant haunt on Friday nts there before, so will give it a go when next there.

Plus will try Fry days too when up and around the New Plaza bars as not tried it yet and judging by the pics of the f n c's looks good value at 99bt??

Is the JF still going in Jomtien plaza or is there still Simons there??

Yes they have the Golden Friar in Jomtien, business is booming down there but mostly a Russian market so the menu is a little different. 

I stand to be corrected, but I think the "Norwegian" tag might have originated with the the Emborg imports from Makro used originally, which included Halibut.

Sadly that supply was cut off and that's when the quality and availability of Cod became a big problem.

Emborg is still very active in Thailand, but I see no fish, so is there another Norwegian importer or what (directed at China Garden really).

Makro did indeed stop selling Norwegian Emborg Cod, which was a real pain at the time but Mark has found a direct suppler in Bangkok which is fantastic news! I must say I only eat the Cod and its fantastic.

There's a supplier of "Turbot" in Bangkok which is meant to be one of the best fish for making "fish & chips", well according Heston Blumenthal & Maro Pierre White .... 

• 3 weeks later...

Having eaten twice this month, at each of the Jomtien & Lengkee-branches, and also at Fryday, i thought i'd post my thoughts !

Firstly, the Jomtien restaurant is clean & good, and was quite busy (half full  ...  despite being a double shophouse)  both times, I wish they'd open a branch up here in Chiang Mai !

Secondly, Fryday in New Plaza is also deservedly popular, I really enjoyed their cooked-to-order calamari/squid in batter. Their prices are low, but frozen-chips are a 'no-no', perhaps also offer fresh-potato chips at B20 extra ? And the very-limited seating (four tables of four covers each) was busy/full both times ! But overall, excellent value-for-money !

Then, the JF-Lengkee was still quiet (almost empty) both times. The real chips were both tasty and plentiful. But is it not possible to put a tomato-ketchup bottle on every table ? Why ever not ? The new owner(s) have got to get these basics right !

And it is over-priced at B149 for cheapest fish-and-chips, compared to Fryday at B99, perhaps knock B20-25 off the price and then rely on the extra-quality of real chips to win through !

Lastly the potato-salad, a personal favourite when I don't fancy chips, at Jomtien this was pre-prepared & chilled and served straight from the fridge, and delicious ! Yet at JF-Lengkee it had to be prepared to-order, was therefore still warm (the first time) and hot (the second), and sadly both times not cooked for quite-long-enough (ie slightly-raw in parts). So why not do as they clearly do in Jomtien, and keep a few portions chilled & ready-to-serve, in the fridge ?

The owners have shown that they can get it right, over at Jomtien, but they still (on my very recent experiences) need to get to grips with the Jolly Friar on Soi Lengkee.

I wish them luck !

The owners have shown that they can get it right, over at Jomtien, but they still (on my very recent experiences) need to get to grips with the Jolly Friar on Soi Lengkee.

It was same ownership when they were set up, but when they were sold a couple of years ago they went into totally separate ownership - only the decor' and Menus remain the same style.

For anyone still searching for genuine, real, flaky Cod I just found some.

It's at Palmer's restaurant in Soi 13/3.

For some reason it's not in the Menu, where there's a cheap Dory option, it's on a board menu on the wall.

Cod (it's large) & Chips & Peas & Bread/Butter- 240 Baht - as good as I've found in Pattaya for quite a long time.

Still waiting to hear that it's worth trying JF again.

Jollies on soi Bukhaow do a fish and chips special on fridays @129 baht-I dont know or care what the fish is but it tastes bloody lovely :GoldenSmile1:

Sorry to say I can't see the JF in soi lenkee lasting very long. I went in when they reopened me and my mate were the only customers and didn't enjoy our meal. I prefer the frozen French fries compared to the chunky chips, but what we got was the the thin French fries that they serve in McDonald's etc. also there was not a choice of med or large size dory like before. I can't see them competing with Friday fish n chips at 99 baht which is good value.

Last week i ordered 2 battered sausages & chunky chips plus beans & 4 rounds of bread. Thai waitress could not believe my plates were empty 10 mins later.

Last week i ordered 2 battered sausages & chunky chips plus beans & 4 rounds of bread. Thai waitress could not believe my plates were empty 10 mins later.

Warming up for the Irish Rovers baht buster breakfast?

great to see this place open again...dory and home made chips fantastic very flavoursome.clean shop  and quick to deliver

• 3 months later...

Visited twice again recently, chips are still tasty & plentiful, but both times they'd sold-out of the steak/kidney-pud, which was what I was really after.

Substituted fish first time, very nice, and second-time a cornish-pasty, which was smaller but better than the old heavy-on-the-pastry one !

The problem of warm/hot potato-salad has been solved by taking it off the menu.

The long-standing oily/smoky-air kitchen-ventilation problem remains, but the waitress had held the door open while it cleared, fair enough at least they're aware of the problem & doing something about it !.

Still running very empty, not a good sign, pity as the new owners seem to be turning things round slowly.

Meanwhile Fryday in New Plaza continues to maintain its high standards, keep it up.

You have lost me on that one as it is an open kitchen/restaurant with out any doors!

​The new owner wont be turning anything around by putting the prices up, 120B + Vat for a double espresso and his beer prices are 22% more expensive than most places on Soi Boukau!

You do know this thread is for Jolly Friar right? Not Jollys.....

You do know this thread is for Jolly Friar right? Not Jollys.....

I fcuked up!  Had just been reading another thread on Jollys!

Archived