IGNORED

resetting an android

cuzzy

Also posted in 'Phones'

A question for the tech savvy BMs.

I'm about to give teelaks sister my S4 copy and want to be sure there is no trace of my history left on the device.

Will a factory reset wipe my history?

I read online that with some effort data can be recovered but I'm sure this is beyond their capability.

Suggestions appreciated thanks.

Well I'm goin on 60, I'm older than most. Won't be long now and all I'll be is a ghost

yes .. factory reset should wipe your history .. 

be sure to remove the extra memory SD card .. if you have one .. before you give it too her .. 

and get a new SIM for her .. 

factory reset will not wipe the SIM

Also posted in 'Phones'

A question for the tech savvy BMs.

I'm about to give teelaks sister my S4 copy and want to be sure there is no trace of my history left on the device.

Will a factory reset wipe my history?

I read online that with some effort data can be recovered but I'm sure this is beyond their capability.

Suggestions appreciated thanks.

A factory reset will make everything look new again, meaning it looks like no one has used the device, but that is just your phone telling itself that all your storage space is free, when technically there are still stored values there. In a very simple way of looking at it, your phone has a list of everything on it. A factory reset just erases this list, not the actual data. Next time you turn it on, the list is blank, so the phone starts fresh again. What happens then is that any calls, texts, emails, pictures, videos, etc, that your teelak's sister makes eventually overwrites your old data. 

The opposite is a secure reset, which will go as far as to write blank code (typically zeros) over every potion of non-system storage. Some will even do this process multiple times just to be sure. I think the FBI was able to recover up to a 3 pass reset at one point, but I highly doubt your teelak's sister will have their resources. Problem is, Android doesn't have a built-in secure reset. Not sure if there are any aftermarket apps either. This was just more of a explanation. Standard factory reset should be fine unless your data had extreme value and you don't trust your teelak's sister.

Thanks Evil.. that's quite interesting stuff.

I've been doing a bit of research on it. Mind expanding lol.

Well I'm goin on 60, I'm older than most. Won't be long now and all I'll be is a ghost

The opposite is a secure reset, which will go as far as to write blank code (typically zeros) over every potion of non-system storage. Some will even do this process multiple times just to be sure. I think the FBI was able to recover up to a 3 pass reset at one point, but I highly doubt your teelak's sister will have their resources. Problem is, Android doesn't have a built-in secure reset. Not sure if there are any aftermarket apps eithe

LOL .. 

.. this is all true .. BUT .. 

why even mention it .. 

if there are no resources available to even do such a thing?

... There are many programs that will do this for you PC .. 

but .. NONE for Android .. 

You doubt his teelak .. has the same resource the FBI does .. really? .. LOL .. no shit .. hahah 

If the OP is THAT concerned with give his GF a clean phone .. 

why not just buy here a new one? .. 

.. you can get a decent I-mobile, Oppo, etc .. 

for under 10,000 baht .. 

... you are just confusing the issue .. explaining things that are not possible anyway .. 

I gave him the exact answer to the question he asked. I don't see the problem with knowing what actually happens. If you are content with being ignorant of how things work, then that's your prerogative, but op actually asked if a wipe was actually secure or if something could be recovered. I answered that for him.

Back to op: there is one solution for current Android phones. You can encrypt your phone before wipe. They when you wipe, it will erase the encryption key along with all index files. Your still left with ghost items, but at that point they are also encrypted with no unlock key.

I gave him the exact answer to the question he asked. I don't see the problem with knowing what actually happens. If you are content with being ignorant of how things work, then that's your prerogative, but op actually asked if a wipe was actually secure or if something could be recovered. I answered that for him.

Back to op: there is one solution for current Android phones. You can encrypt your phone before wipe. They when you wipe, it will erase the encryption key along with all index files. Your still left with ghost items, but at that point they are also encrypted with no unlock key.

LOL  . I am far from ignorant about how Android phones and Windows computers work .. 

you are defiantly not telling me anything I do not already know .. 

I am just pointing out that you are spewing useless information that does no one any good in this case.

(to make yourself sound knowledgeable?)

The OP's original question was "Will a factory reset wipe my history? " .. 

the answer is YES ...

and that is all ... 

he even stated "I read online that with some effort data can be recovered but I'm sure this is beyond their capability. "

.. which is true .. 

so why come on here and start spouting info about overwriting the erased space

(because as you pointed out . deleting the data .. or factory reset does not REALLY erase anything)

when overwriting the "empty space" is IMPOSSIBLE on Android with the available apps .. 

(though it is possible if you use Andorid SDK/ADB .. but, that is probably beyond the OP's (or his girlfriends) skill set)

(and probably beyond yours)

whats the point ?

.. question was " "Will a factory reset wipe my history? " .. 

answer YES .. 

.. easiest solution to giving your Thai GF a phone that can not incriminate you as a previous user .. 

GET HER A NEW PHONE .. 

As far as your new info about encrypting the phone .. then wiping it .. etc .. 

THAT is good advice .. 

why not say THAT in the first place?

i mean .. THAT is easy to do .. 

do you know how to do it? .. 

.. (hint .. just google .. "encrypt Android")

here .. I did it for you .. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/141953/how-to-encrypt-your-android-phone-and-why-you-might-want-to/

Archived